Coach Discussion: All-purpose Coach discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Agreed, I mentioned when Laine was pulled off the 1st pp that if Maurice felt the need to make a change, why not Connor? He's done far less on the PP than Laine. Perreault, Little, Roslo could all do as well or better, but instead he pulls off the one guy that really nobody could do as well or better than.

Why is why I believe PP time is being held hostage by Maurice to get him to improve his overall play. It hurts the PP for sure but that's the only logical explanation. I don't think Maurice actually thinks someone else could do a better job on the PP (or atleast I would hope not).

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
The problem with shooting from that spot is it's not a one timer and lacks the velocity the guys on the dots get.
I like Rosie's shot but I don't see it being much better than Wheels when stationary - and I see Wheels as the better passer and better guy to have in traffic when time and space tightens up.

Roslovic has a much better shot. Not sure how one could say otherwise. He wasn’t scoring on one timers. He was scoring on wristers.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Roslovic has a much better shot. Not sure how one could say otherwise. He wasn’t scoring on one timers. He was scoring on wristers.

Does he? I'm not convinced he's that much better a shooter than Wheels - especially from that spot without a lot of momentum. I could be wrong.
I know Rosie's scored a couple of nice one's recently but I don't see him taking Wheels spot.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Why was he pulled? Probably had something to do with this accuracy - he missed a bunch of shots wide last time they had him on #1.

Connor sits down low and has more of a passing role than shooting - he' not Wheelers go to guy on the PP when he has Scheif and Laine (or Rosie) shooting from prime time.
I haven't seen an issue with Connor on the PP considering his usage.

Laine will be back soon - I'd assume that experiment has run it's course. Even when he isn't scoring, everyone else has more room when he's out there.
Connor defers to Wheeler too much, I think Perreault or Little would bring some more movement to the left side, something the PP used to do more of. I also think they would be more effective net front players . I like Connor, it's not a criticism of him, he's not a playmaker, it's an odd role for him other than he's good at scoring in tight and retrieving pucks.

As far as Laine being pulled because of his accuracy. That would be sad if it were the case. As if he isn't going to sort that out, it's how scorers like that go.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Why is why I believe PP time is being held hostage by Maurice to get him to improve his overall play. It hurts the PP for sure but that's the only logical explanation. I don't think Maurice actually thinks someone else could do a better job on the PP (or atleast I would hope not).

It's only been two games, I don't think it's a hostage scenario right now.

I think the simplest solution is the right one: Roslovic was scoring on the 2nd PP, Laine was not. It'll revert back.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Connor defers to Wheeler too much, I think Perreault or Little would bring some more movement to the left side, something the PP used to do more of. I also think they would be more effective net front players . I like Connor, it's not a criticism of him, he's not a playmaker, it's an odd role for him other than he's good at scoring in tight and retrieving pucks.

As far as Laine being pulled because of his accuracy. That would be sad if it were the case. As if he isn't going to sort that out, it's how scorers like that go.

Good points on the left side presence - I like Connor in traffic but I've seen Matty do a lot of good things with the puck in the spot. Either works - the real point of contention is Laine.

I don't know why they pulled Laine off PP1 - I'm assuming it was due to the pile of shots he missed on this last opportunity - it was ugly.
Regardless, they need to get him back out there - they can't take the PP away from him.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Good points on the left side presence - I like Connor in traffic but I've seen Matty do a lot of good things with the puck in the spot. Either works - the real point of contention is Laine.

I don't know why they pulled Laine off PP1 - I'm assuming it was due to the pile of shots he missed on this last opportunity - it was ugly.
Regardless, they need to get him back out there - they can't take the PP away from him.
If shooting wide on the PP gets you pulled, then Blake "Short side, high and wide" Wheeler would have been off the PP entirely half the time :laugh:

Reactions: HHel and PhilJets

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Oh yeah, I'm going to use this as a reaction to SO many posts on here :laugh:

giphy.gif

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Is Noel still alive? Atleast he’d have better ingredients to put into his blender.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
ThAt and way better players! Lol, turn the time machine on and let’s go!

Jets were a pretty good Corsi team for his entire tenure (Besides his last year).

Top 15 in the league every year, but bottom 5 for goaltending also. Chevy's biggest mistake was that Pavelec contract.

We've been top half of the league in goaltending twice since the move, and it's no surprise what years those were.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's called teams scout your PPs you always have to keep one step ahead of them. Change things up ... I would love to see Lemme standing in front of the net. I heard he is one of the better players on the team with defections.

They haven't changed the PP though. The setup is exactly the same, they are now just using Scheifele in Laine's role and Roslovic in Scheifele's old role. The PP still runs through Wheeler and they are now trying to tee up Schiefele for the one timer or Roslovic in the slot. The issue is that Scheifle doesn't have as deadly as a release from out wide as Laine has and Roslovic can't get his shot away in the slot as quickly as Scheifele. So essentially they are running the exact same system with inferior trigger man, as such teams don't respect it as much. Even when Laine isn't scoring his shot still scares teams and they cheat to him, as does the goalie which opens up ice for the Scheifele slot pass or fro Wheeler to walk in etc.... This is what people mean by Maurice's tinkering downgrading both units.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
It's called teams scout your PPs you always have to keep one step ahead of them. Change things up ... I would love to see Lemme standing in front of the net. I heard he is one of the better players on the team with defections.
I was sitting 2 rows from the glass in the corner of the Jets defensive end against the Ducks . Lemmy was having someone (Morrow if I recall) fire pucks at the net for him to deflect during warm up , some while stationary, some while gliding past the front of the net. He must have taken 8 or 10 of them, didn't miss one. It was impressive.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I was sitting 2 rows from the glass in the corner of the Jets defensive end against the Ducks . Lemmy was having someone (Morrow if I recall) fire pucks at the net for him to deflect during warm up , some while stationary, some while gliding past the front of the net. He must have taken 8 or 10 of them, didn't miss one. It was impressive.
That's what I heard too ... maybe he's the secret weapon for the playoff's PP.:thumbu:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
PP1

Connor Dman or Schiefele

Should go first to 2nd unit
Before Laine or Wheeler

Thats the 2nd :huh: coach Mo made me confused in the last 2 weeks.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Weird how the Leafs went from one of the best PP units to #16 in the league with the best coach in the league.
The Jets are 4th even with their PP in a slump and this place wants the coach fired.

Leaf PP melt down thread on the main board and the Pens fans are also complaining their’s is worse.......almost all PP’s go cold for long stretches even when they are loaded.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Leaf PP melt down thread on the main board and the Pens fans are also complaining their’s is worse.......almost all PP’s go cold for long stretches even when they are loaded.
Every fan base either hates their coach, believes they are incompetent or both. It is the one common link throughout HF Boards. That and every team should trade you their star players for a bunch of spare parts and magic beans, and if they resist they should be heckled without mercy.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Every fan base either hates their coach, believes they are incompetent or both. It is the one common link throughout HF Boards. That and every team should trade you their star players for a bunch of spare parts and magic beans, and if they resist they should be heckled without mercy.
Yeah, you go ahead and hand wave away any legitimate discussion about the team. I am curious what you think we should talk about because you obviously believe coaches are infallible

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Yeah, you go ahead and hand wave away any legitimate discussion about the team.Iam curious what you think we should talk about because you obviously believe coaches are infallible

What we should talk about ? or complain about ? - well it sure shouldn't be coaching we should complain about. We have a coach that has a very young team, and has this Jet's team in first place. Also finished second overall in the Nhl last year with 114 points, so the coach must be doing something right. Some people need to complain about something all the time, and we don't have a coaching problem. Anaheim does- they lost 15 of their last 17 games --then it's time to complain.

I wonder what a coach has to do, to satisfy some posters on here. We definitely don't have a coaching problem.

Reactions: Jets 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad