Coach Discussion: All-purpose Coach discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm in the minority here i think but i like Maurice , think he's a good coach . I don't agree with some of the players he dresses over others but i'm not watching them all the time like Maurice is . Maybe Maurice sees stuff in practices that we don't , anyway he's not getting fired when he's the coach of a first place team . I think the Jets would have to go out in the first round this season and get off to a horrible start next season for Chevy to even consider firing Maurice .

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I think the Jets would have to go out in the first round this season and get off to a horrible start next season for Chevy to even consider firing Maurice

Doubt if even that is enough. This organization has demonstrated that it doesn't do knee-jerk reactions. In many cases, that's good but sometimes can lead to missed opportunities to improve the team. Any mention of considering Carlyle was tongue in cheek. Any mention of considering Q was not. Can't say with certainty that the Jets would do better under him, but he does have the pedigree. Pity about the timing. It's like soulmates meeting while still married to other people. Not that that stops everybody. But it would probably be found out pretty quickly if the team was seeing Q behind Maurice's back. :laugh:

Reactions: Jets 31

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Paul Maurice is a bad coach. All he does is pander to a few top vets. Did you read his BS response to why doesn't Laine play with Scheif & Wheeler? You don't get 1500 games in the NHL never winning a thing without being good at something. That something isn't elite coaching.

Maurice doesn't do anything. Absolutely nothing. He doesn't change players, even 4th liners. He'll let young talented players sit for months. That is not how a good coach behaves. WHat has Morrow ever done to be gifted playing time over Niku? What has Appleton, Lemiuex done to permanently keep Petan, Dano, Griffith out of the lineup? Lemieux has lucksacked a few garbage goals and that overrides all his measurably terrible on ice play.

I hate that we are stuck with a coach like this. I do not believe he is good enough to win anything, but he's won enough to get a leash long enough to kill our chances. These kinds of coaches kill franchises. They are extremely personable so they get way more time than they should. Maurice only seems to survive in small markets where the media will carry the water all day long.

I don't feel as strongly as my posts sound. I hate typing on tablet/phone so I use the most direct language that conveys my point. I also understand Paul Maurice isn't necessarily a bad coach relatively, but that's not my standard...

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I'm guessing that the Jets use a wider range of stats than available on NST and other public sites, based on his comments in repartee with Murat. Regardless, only Ehlers has consistently good shot and other metrics with Scheifele and Wheeler. I don't happen to think that shot metrics are the only ones that quantify their play, though. They will often spend a whole shift cycling and probing for a top end chance whereas some opponents will fire away whenever they have the opportunity.
What are these stats they are using? If they are using micro stats, they are making a huge mistake. Micro stats are usefully in help understanding why, not measuring performance or impact.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What are these stats they are using? If they are using micro stats, they are making a huge mistake. Micro stats are usefully in help understanding why, not measuring performance or impact.

They use a bunch of different things. Maurice talks about zone Time, red zone chances, passing to various location data etc.

It showed last year as the team was very good at limiting high danger chances. They played with very tight nz gaps. The Jets were also the moat dangerous team at generating chances off the cycle.

I have no idea what has happened this year as all of those elements which were so strong last year are no where near as good. We haven't defended near as Well, our nz gapping has been off and we aren't generating near as much red zone chances off the cycle.

I don't know if that is other teams scouting and countering or if the players aren't as engaged in it. Either way it's up to Maurice to tweak the system or shock the players in order to get this team playing as well as it did last season. We are nearing the final quarter of the season so we are running out of runway for the team to really turn it on.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
They use a bunch of different things. Maurice talks about zone Time, red zone chances, passing to various location data etc.

It showed last year as the team was very good at limiting high danger chances. They played with very tight nz gaps. The Jets were also the moat dangerous team at generating chances off the cycle.

I have no idea what has happened this year as all of those elements which were so strong last year are no where near as good. We haven't defended near as Well, our nz gapping has been off and we aren't generating near as much red zone chances off the cycle.

I don't know if that is other teams scouting and countering or if the players aren't as engaged in it. Either way it's up to Maurice to tweak the system or shock the players in order to get this team playing as well as it did last season. We are nearing the final quarter of the season so we are running out of runway for the team to really turn it on.
I am most concerned that PoMo creates monsters. e.g. Scheif/Wheeler playing 22min and always cheating offensively. Scheifele is on the wrong side of the puck so often in both zones.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Losing frequent whipping boy Toby Enstrom happened. The team has gotten much worse at getting out of their own zone. Putting any pressure on half of this defensive corps results in a game of keep away that either forces the forwards to come back and help, or allows the other team to properly set up to defend the transition.

The high danger chances were limited by the team's ability to keep players outside, but they are frequently missing assignments and leaving guys open. I don't feel any coaching is the answer as far as systems go - the execution is not good on the players side. Maurice could stand to make a couple of personnel swaps but the players need to start pulling their weight as well in their own zone.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Based on the snippets of conversations that go beyond the banal, I think it's clear that the Jets are tracking zone time, shot locations, and shot types (particularly related to shots coming from seam passes, etc.). Maurice has started to make it fairly clear that he prefers his team to avoid taking very low percentage shots that tend to become nothing more than a turnover. I think that's partly why we see the Jets do a lot of offensive zone cycling and perhaps suppressing their own shot attempts unless they get good chances. I think it's fairly noticeable stylistically with the Jets when they are on their game. One of the reasons that they might avoid a lot of lower risk shots is that they activate their D down the boards quite a bit, which leaves them vulnerable to a counter-attack if they take a low percentage shot.

I don't think those are really "microstats", but perhaps tracking shot attempts taken and given a bit differently than pure shot location data.

Without knowing the metrics they use, it's impossible to know how robust they might be.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Losing frequent whipping boy Toby Enstrom happened. The team has gotten much worse at getting out of their own zone. Putting any pressure on half of this defensive corps results in a game of keep away that either forces the forwards to come back and help, or allows the other team to properly set up to defend the transition.

The high danger chances were limited by the team's ability to keep players outside, but they are frequently missing assignments and leaving guys open. I don't feel any coaching is the answer as far as systems go - the execution is not good on the players side. Maurice could stand to make a couple of personnel swaps but the players need to start pulling their weight as well in their own zone.

Ahh blame the players. Try that at work, see how long a failing leader can just blame all his staff. I bet you it won't work for 1500 games

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Whenever Mo tries to shock the players some ppl want his head for it. He takes Laine off the 1pp to shock the players and no ones happy. Granted he should have put Laine back on pp already Gawd.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Whenever Mo tries to shock the players some ppl want his head for it. He takes Laine off the 1pp to shock the players and no ones happy. Granted he should have put Laine back on pp already Gawd.
How is that shocking the players? That's removing one of your best weapons to no good end. How is Roslovic a better player than Laine on the PP? Have you see how many times Roslo has whiffed on the quick slot one timer? Roslo went from 4th line to PP1. Why?

Reactions: thegr8one66

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yup execution hasn't been great and Toby was a loss but he missed significant time last year and the team fared ok without him. We really shouldn't have regressed as much. In the end Maurice does still need to get the team to execute and they don't he needs to hold the players accountable.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Ahh blame the players. Try that at work, see how long a failing leader can just blame all his staff. I bet you it won't work for 1500 games

I'd say it's just as easy to just blame the guy in charge when the staff are underperforming. Laine not scoring is just as much on him as it is the coaching. Players missing assignments is just as much a mental gaffe by a player as it is a coach.

You have your guy to blame here, nothing wrong with having an opinion, but when you completely absolve the players for any responsibility, then its hard to really discuss it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I am most concerned that PoMo creates monsters. e.g. Scheif/Wheeler playing 22min and always cheating offensively. Scheifele is on the wrong side of the puck so often in both zones.
I've been harping on my concerns about Scheifele/Wheeler defensively for some time. It's just an impression, but I think Scheifele might be facing other teams' top lines more often this season than last year, when Lowry was facing top lines a ton (with great success). Scheifele cheats a lot positionally and Wheeler tends to lose position and become stationary too much defensively. Connor exacerbates the problem by lacking awareness and aggressiveness in the defensive zone, and struggling with zone exits at times. Ehlers covers up for a lot of the line's problems when he's with Scheifele/Wheeler because he's very active in the D zone, has good anticipation and is very creative and adept at zone exits. His speed also covers up for when Scheifele and Wheeler get caught.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yup execution hasn't been great and Toby was a loss but he missed significant time last year and the team fared ok without him. We really shouldn't have regressed as much. In the end Maurice does still need to get the team to execute and they don't he needs to hold the players accountable.

He does need some accountability. I think that sometimes it's tough when there are so many guys who are having trouble getting anything going.

Coaching is a man management business as much as an X's and O's business.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
How is that shocking the players? That's removing one of your best weapons to no good end. How is Roslovic a better player than Laine on the PP? Have you see how many times Roslo has whiffed on the quick slot one timer? Roslo went from 4th line to PP1. Why?
If he tries something new ppl ask why'd you do that. If he leaves things the way they are ppl say why didn't you try something new. Never said Roslo was better and what's more shocking to players and fans than the move he made. Derpitedy derp.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
If he tries something new ppl ask why'd you do that. If he leaves things the way they are ppl say why didn't you try something new. Never said Roslo was better and what's more shocking to players and fans than the move he made. Derpitedy derp.

Roslovic also went to PP1 because he was scoring on PP2. You'd think swapping them up would be a good first step to get Laine going and the 1st PP producing, but maybe voodoo would be a better option?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
team Defense had been concerning.
yPFZZNk.jpg
The Jets have allowed the 4th most shots against/game this season. The only teams to allow more shots are Anaheim, Chicago and Ottawa.

You lost me when you said ... "they've been Ottawa-bad". Only one person played bad which cost them the Ottawa game. What's funny the majority on HF wanted him to get more starts ... be careful what you wish for.
Lets make a bet since Ottawa plays the Jets this Saturday. If the Jets play the exact same way only with Hellebuyck in net ... Jets win Saturday.
The Jets' cumulative xG differentials since the end of December have been Ottawa-bad.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
The Jets have allowed the 4th most shots against/game this season. The only teams to allow more shots are Anaheim, Chicago and Ottawa.

The Jets' cumulative xG differentials since the end of December have been Ottawa-bad.
So in other words you are trying to say the Jets should be the 4th worst team in the league and yet they are in first place ... they must have a good coach to defy odds like that.:DD

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Wish we would see more Brossoit. Maurice hasn't shown yet that he learned from going into last years post season with a worn out Helle
Other than Helle mishandling the pucks outside the crease :mad:... I did not think he was bad or looked tired. GWG in game 5 was 2 defections and in ... that about sums up the series Vegas got a lot of bounces their way ... thats hockey.
The more games Brossoit plays the more scouting reports the opposing teams get and I hope I'm wrong but that could be why he had a bad game against the Sens.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
So in other words you are trying to say the Jets should be the 4th worst team in the league and yet they are in first place ... they must have a good coach to defy odds like that.:DD
No, I'm just saying they're playing quite poorly of late.

If our wins were coming from some masterful adjustments by the coaching staff then I might give some credence to the notion that they have a good coach, but from what I've seen, Maurice is just making things worse.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I've been harping on my concerns about Scheifele/Wheeler defensively for some time. It's just an impression, but I think Scheifele might be facing other teams' top lines more often this season than last year, when Lowry was facing top lines a ton (with great success). Scheifele cheats a lot positionally and Wheeler tends to lose position and become stationary too much defensively. Connor exacerbates the problem by lacking awareness and aggressiveness in the defensive zone, and struggling with zone exits at times. Ehlers covers up for a lot of the line's problems when he's with Scheifele/Wheeler because he's very active in the D zone, has good anticipation and is very creative and adept at zone exits. His speed also covers up for when Scheifele and Wheeler get caught.
Agree 100%. Connor is very indecisive defensively irt puck pursuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad