All-Encompassing Womens Soccer Thread

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

highest attendance for a women's friendly in the U.S. And about as smooth sailing as you can get in this game. Portugal never really threatened.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Another solid game. Portugal has a ways ago to catch up with the rest of the world.

Favorite part of the game was Kristen Hamilton coming on making her debut and you could not wipe that smile off her face.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Decent article from ESPN in regards to women's soccer.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-ma...successfulmeaningful-change-for-womens-soccer

Overall I think it's pretty well done and fair, although I think it's a little to head in the sand about Infantino and gives him much more benefit of the doubt that someone in his position likely deserves given the long, long history of corruption at that level (even if he wasn't involved directly)

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, thought that was a quality article. Definitely goes deeper than the shallow talking points of women vs men. More frequent meaningful International games would be a smart way of building the game.

Sep 19, 2008
On a similar note

Good to see women's soccer is starting to take off in England. The existence of the FAWSL is only good for the game.

Reactions: kingsboy11

Gin and tonic

Aug 29, 2019
The single most entertaining football that I saw, was this year's women's world cup. The Ladies game is about flow and ball possession. It does not have the power component. As a result, the ball does not get kicked from one end of the pitch to the other, but gets passed from one player to the other. It makes the game so much more exciting and much more watchable. The men's game would have to be played on a pitch 200 x 100 to simulate it.
Now grant it, the world cup was a collection of the best. Ladies club football may be less entertaining. But, I will never forget this summers tournament. I struggled to watch the men's game in the immediate period afterwards.

Reactions: kingsboy11

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The single most entertaining football that I saw, was this year's women's world cup. The Ladies game is about flow and ball possession. It does not have the power component. As a result, the ball does not get kicked from one end of the pitch to the other, but gets passed from one player to the other. It makes the game so much more exciting and much more watchable. The men's game would have to be played on a pitch 200 x 100 to simulate it.
Now grant it, the world cup was a collection of the best. Ladies club football may be less entertaining. But, I will never forget this summers tournament. I struggled to watch the men's game in the immediate period afterwards.

I actually feel almost identical about men’s curling vs women’s curling.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
On a similar note

Good to see women's soccer is starting to take off in England. The existence of the FAWSL is only good for the game.

It's good, but we will see the reality later on when the attendances aren't based on the combination of hype and free tickets. Hopefully what is left can still be sustainable.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's good, but we will see the reality later on when the attendances aren't based on the combination of hype and free tickets. Hopefully what is left can still be sustainable.
Yeah, sort of a perfect storm with the men on international break.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Pretty terrible having people like Morgan and Marta in there over the likes of Ada, Miedema, and no Groenen, etc.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Pretty terrible having people like Morgan and Marta in there over the likes of Ada, Miedema, and no Groenen, etc.
You should see the men’s 11. Some selections are baffling based on last season. Modric? Marcelo!?!?!?

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

I do think Morgan should've been there and she was scoring a ridiculous pace leading up to the World Cup. I will agree with you about Marta. Love her, but you can't tell me she had a better year than Hegerberg, Ellen White, Miedema, Martens, Kerr. Its not possible.

The voting in this is just weird

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it’s just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
"Hey Bucs fans, do you sweat 34-yarders? Carli Lloyd doesn't. Secret believes strength is more than overcoming what makes us sweat. It's continuing to pursue progress and equality in all industries & sectors. Women may not play professional football (yet), but isn't it time for a level playing field wherever she wants to play?" https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27706743/no-sweat-ad-touts-lloyd-fix-bucs-woes

Sep 19, 2008
IMG_20190929_202951.jpg

Finished my signatures collection yesterday.

Left: Ertz

Right: Hard to see cause it's night time when pic was taken. But it's Pugh, Lavelle, Sauerbrunn, Naeher, Brian, Dahlkemper, Mewis

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad