All-Encompassing Womens Soccer Thread

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Conditions are brutal in this USA v Canada game. Players look so frustrated the game is even being played .

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I've played in game like this where the pitch is water logged and its just not fun. I know its San Diego and we don't get a lot of rain throughout the year, but every field should have adequate drainage.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I’ll go on record saying that I hate these being penalties but I also think it shouldn’t be a foul on the attacker if the goalie gets there first.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Canada probably deserved a penalty earlier in the game, so I'm not bugging too much about the last minute call.

Alyssa Naeher making up for it in the shootout, scoring 1 and saving 3 is ridiculous even if those Canadian penalties were shit.

What a game, 2-2 after 120 minutes on a water logged pitch. USA seems to have found their lineup, but Brazilians look strong though.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Gut punch ending... Proud of the team though, that was a tough game with the conditions.

Need to work on penalties apparently....

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Wasn't able to watch the game, but what a turn around after the Mexico game. Still plenty of work to do before Paris, but you like seeing the winning mentality comeback to the team.

Also put Jaedyn Shaw in ink for the Olympics.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

The Sam Kerr saga has taken another turn with a report claiming the Matildas star and Football Australia are in the midst of a bitter dispute. It is understood that Football Australia is angry at the 30-year-old for failing to inform them about being charged for multiple weeks despite previously telling her club team, Chelsea.

The Matildas captain is charged with using insulting, threatening or abusive words that caused alarm or distress during an incident in Twickenham on January 30, 2023, in which she threw up in a taxi after a night out. Kerr allegedly called a police officer a 'stupid white bastard' after the cops were called over a dispute regarding a taxi fare, according to reports, however, the 30-year-old denies she used the word 'bastard'.

Away from the ongoing court case, the Matildas captain is also understood to have had a bitter falling out with Football Australia, according to Code Sports, stemming from the fact that Kerr kept the charge a secret from Football Australia for about six weeks. Her failure to inform the governing body could be deemed to be a breach of the code of conduct, and the recent events have put her position as skipper in doubt.

Following news of her arrest, when Football Australia boss James Johnson and Matildas coach Tony Gustavsson were questioned about the charge against Kerr, they stated they were unaware of it, more than a year after the incident first occurred. "First time I ever heard about it was this morning," Gustavsson said.

Sep 19, 2008
canadian dives like a hockey player, gets the call

sickening

women's sports is supposed to be free of this type of diving / flopping

Canada ties it up.

Sep 19, 2008
Oh, so the refs are fine with Canada taking Swanson out, but when Leon gets tapped lightly in the box and dives for the call, it's a penalty. Got it.

Canada is being way too physical here.

They've always played the US rough and hard. Sick shit.

And that one is off the bar. Canada nearly take the lead.

Sep 19, 2008
Kilgore ends her interim coaching career, for the US, with a big win!

The US, defeat Canada in penalties!

They win it, 3-2!

Sep 19, 2008
For US fans interested the group draw is out for the Paris Olympics.

US will play

Zambia (by virtue of a game today)
Germany
Australia

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
game should've ended after 90 minutes if it weren't for the bogus penalty call. Naeher is still clutch.

Entertaining game nonetheless.

Team has recovered well from the Mexico loss. Swanson and Macario returning from injury and Shaw emerging gives me hope the offense can get back going again.

Reactions: John Price

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Within two weeks, Chelsea's quadruple hope becomes a double hope. A loss to Arsenal in the Conti Cup Final followed by a loss to Man U in the FA Cup semis.

There are multiple banana peels in our WSL run-in (end the season with back to back away games against Spurs and United), and a semi against Barcelona Femeni. Looks conceivable that Emma's last season could end trophyless, which is insane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad