All-Encompassing Womens Soccer Thread

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
To me, it's more about poor communication about how they added an additional game late and weren't on the same page about how to pay it, and not about US Soccer cutting pay. The CBA stated the Victory Tour would be 4 games, so if they want to be technical about it, US Soccer could've stuck to that plan, even though they should pay Victory Tour rate for all 5 games.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Only 37K at the Rose Bowl for the start of the Victory Tour. Neither Morgan or Rapinoe played due to "injury".

They are having trouble selling tickets for the game in Philly while the sold out game in St. Paul is thanks to it being in an MLS stadium.

Meanwhile, the NWSL has seemed to have lost its post-WC bump. Again.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
What does this have to do with equal pay?

Training and investing in the future of the program is not the same as direct compensation. It is not in any way comparable to the NWSL pay.
Paying for your housing and meals is indeed comparable to a salary and I have tax law to prove it

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Paying for your housing and meals is indeed comparable to a salary and I have tax law to prove it
Agreed, but that tweet was a bit weird. He's trying to say since US Soccer spends a lot on residency program for 16 year old boys, then the senior women should be paid more? If anything it should be that investment in the youth levels should be balanced. US Soccer should cover residency costs for the youth, so all youth have that opportunity and not just the wealthy.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Agreed, but that tweet was a bit weird. He's trying to say since US Soccer spends a lot on residency program for 16 year old boys, then the senior women should be paid more? If anything it should be that investment in the youth levels should be balanced. US Soccer should cover residency costs for the youth, so all youth have that opportunity and not just the wealthy.
I think the point is that people are touting that number as part of the salary for the women but is disingenuous to say that when they spent almost a similar amount for youth levels, even if I agree that US Soccer should invest in youth levels (and that program has ended)

Reactions: kingsboy11

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think the point is that people are touting that number as part of the salary for the women but is disingenuous to say that when they spent almost a similar amount for youth levels, even if I agree that US Soccer should invest in youth levels (and that program has ended)
Yeah, I don't either side is really giving a clear view of total compensation provided for men or women across all levels. I think we all want the cost to play barrier to be eliminated on youth levels on each side, which shouldn't be difficult. Since both youth boys and girls are more of cost centers instead of revenue drivers, you just deal with the cost. The difficult part is on the senior level, since the men will have more stable and higher paying club salaries with better benefits, they don't have to rely on compensation from the national team and can have a more higher risk/higher reward compensation package. I bet for the men, the national team pay is all gravy, but for the women, it's the bulk of what they receive throughout the year.

Sep 19, 2008
Only 37K at the Rose Bowl for the start of the Victory Tour. Neither Morgan or Rapinoe played due to "injury".

They are having trouble selling tickets for the game in Philly while the sold out game in St. Paul is thanks to it being in an MLS stadium.

Meanwhile, the NWSL has seemed to have lost its post-WC bump. Again.

Reactions: kingsboy11
Sep 19, 2008
i just wish people would bring facts to the table if they want to argue against the NWSL or prop up this false narrative of decline. The NWSL has remained strong and one of the sponsors (Nike or Bud or maybe someone else) extended their sponsorship contract past 2020. There is no notion of this league going away anytime soon, in fact as posted here LA is close to getting a team (spearheaded by US legend Mia Hamm) as well as a potential team in Calgary. But keep claiming women's soccer is irrelevant.

Also lol at scoffing 37k. The USMNT can't even get 37k for games, esp at Glendale. :laugh:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
i just wish people would bring facts to the table if they want to argue against the NWSL or prop up this false narrative of decline. The NWSL has remained strong and one of the sponsors (Nike or Bud or maybe someone else) extended their sponsorship contract past 2020. There is no notion of this league going away anytime soon, in fact as posted here LA is close to getting a team (spearheaded by US legend Mia Hamm) as well as a potential team in Calgary. But keep claiming women's soccer is irrelevant.

Also lol at scoffing 37k. The USMNT can't even get 37k for games, esp at Glendale. :laugh:

Just a quick lookup and the USMNT had 2 games above 38k in 2018 and averaged 35k+ in the 2010 and 2014 WC years. Stop making it a men vs women thing. We all know soccer is still pretty casual here and attendance bumps before during and after the WC is real and then the casual fans tune out until the next WC, this happens for men and women. It's all about taking 2 or 3 steps forward and 1 or 2 steps back, so even in the 2-3 years after the most recent WC, it's still a step forward from where it was. That's what the MLS has done, and what we should hope the NWSL is able to do. The goal should be a league that can sustain compensation high enough that it doesn't matter what US Soccer pays. The first step is a league that isn't at risk of folding like previous leagues, and it looks to finally be past that point and growing.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Which is not what was being compared, as again, this was for a youth level and isn't comparable at all to what was brought forward in the independent audit.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
What do you think paying for residency entails?
What does them paying for residency in their training program have to do with inequality between the men's and women's senior NT? Especially in regards to what was brought up in the audit?

If you're going to argue for a better infrastructure for the women at all levels etc. that's fine but it has nothing to do with what they're asking for and what the audit seems to disprove.

Sep 19, 2008
Looking forward to the Spirit playing at audi field. Was there Saturday to see the Chicago team and it was a sellout. 5k in attendance. It may not sound like much but when you account for the small stadium they play in it's good. That stadium doesn't fit 10k or 25k. Audi Field does.

The only disadvantage is that I fear it may be harder to get autographs. Got Ertz, Brian and Naeher to sign Saturday. :yo:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

This isn't difficult. Just pay the women the same as the men. Problem solved.

It's not that simple. There are certain areas where the women have a better deal than the men. If they want same compensation as men, then they'll lose some of those benefits that they previously had.

Sep 19, 2008

Nearly 19,000 packed Audi Field yesterday. It was announced as a sellout. I got my tickets for free because the game Wednesday was delayed and the Spirit just figured they'd give out tickets in GA.

It was about 4 times the normal "sellout" attendance at the other park the Spirit play in, which holds around 5000.

The only sad thing is that Alex Morgan didn't play or didn't travel with the team apparently. Was hoping to get a book signed.

Last note, this whole equal pay situation has been going on since the 80's. The women's team has always been treated poorer than the men's and in reading Caitlin Murray's book yesterday it was interesting to see how much the women put up with it early (which is expected as women's soccer was just beginning). They would get t-shirts as rewards for winning tournaments while the men got actual money. The stipend for winning the first Women's World Cup in China was a paltry amount, can't remember exact figures.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Nearly 19,000 packed Audi Field yesterday. It was announced as a sellout. I got my tickets for free because the game Wednesday was delayed and the Spirit just figured they'd give out tickets in GA.

It was about 4 times the normal "sellout" attendance at the other park the Spirit play in, which holds around 5000.

The only sad thing is that Alex Morgan didn't play or didn't travel with the team apparently. Was hoping to get a book signed.

Last note, this whole equal pay situation has been going on since the 80's. The women's team has always been treated poorer than the men's and in reading Caitlin Murray's book yesterday it was interesting to see how much the women put up with it early (which is expected as women's soccer was just beginning). They would get t-shirts as rewards for winning tournaments while the men got actual money. The stipend for winning the first Women's World Cup in China was a paltry amount, can't remember exact figures.

Yeah Alex Morgan got a concussion last week I think.

My dad is hogging Caitlin Murray's book right now, but I'm really excited to get into it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad