Speculation: All Complaints/Critiques/Defenses of Leafs RFA Deals vis a vis Rantanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Toronto calls them plugs because they can't afford anything else.

Other teams call it depth.
He has a point. Leafs have guys like Johnsson Kerfoot and Kap signed to cheap deals, when colorado is paying guys like Ian Cole 4.25. Nothing against them but their depth isnt great

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He has a point. Leafs have guys like Johnsson Kerfoot and Kap signed to cheap deals, when colorado is paying guys like Ian Cole 4.25. Nothing against them but their depth isnt great

LOL, any avs fans know that Cole was more useful than Kerfoot last year. Kerfoot is also going to leave in 3 years when the Leafs have no cap. Barrie is guaranteed to be gone next year, unless Dubas give him 9+.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
It is when you're also paying Matthews money that's Almost McDavid Money.
Matthews is obviously no Mcdavid. But how many 18 year old rookies can score 40 goals? i dont even know the last time that happened. Ovie? He was between Eichel and Mcdavid as he should be, just his deal was too short

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Because Chiarelli made his team progressively worse every year. Can you say the same thing about the Leafs under Dubas?

We find out how this experiment goes in 20/21. Might be fine. But there's a real chance it won't be.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
It's easy to say that until a bunch of your "paid just right" players turn out to deserve their league minimum contracts.

It a lot more painful when you have a Lucic, Neal, Marleau etc. putting out league minimum performances.

Reactions: Menzinger

Leafy Undergrowth

Feb 4, 2013
Guess we're going to have to open up a thread every time we talk about Leaf comparables in regards to other players.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
LOL, any avs fans know that Cole was more useful than Kerfoot last year. Kerfoot is also going to leave in 3 years when the Leafs have no cap. Barrie is guaranteed to be gone next year, unless Dubas give him 9+.
Kerfoot is signed for 4. I dont see how you can know the situation in 4 years without a time machine. Barrie is far from "guaranteed to be gone" he had talks of an 8x8 right after he was acquired

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Ian Cole is an underrated top-4 defenseman who would arguably be the best defensive defenseman on the Maple Leafs.

Its funny when leaf fans criticize bridge deals, when Kerfoot/Kap/Johnsson are all bridge deals and not really even great ones. I'm sorry but I'll take Thachuk over all three COMBINED and then some.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Kerfoot is signed for 4. I dont see how you can know the situation in 4 years without a time machine. Barrie is far from "guaranteed to be gone" he had talks of an 8x8 right after he was acquired

Guess what, 8x8 isn't going to cut it.. specially if its the starting point TODAY.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's just weird with Dubas because he signed Kap and AJ to very good deals. But with Matthews, he gave away term AND gave him the 2nd highest contract. Then of course Marner followed suit when Marner led the team in points and PPG.

Dubas was clearly overmatched in the M&M negotiations. The extra term and a few extra million to use would help them come trade deadline time, injuries, re-signing depth. But in the end, it might cost them a AJ or Kap and dress someone like Bracco instead. It's NOT a doom and gloom like some like to pretend it is. I just wish Leafs fans could admit that he DID overpay or should have got more term(Matthews).

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Its funny when leaf fans criticize bridge deals, when Kerfoot/Kap/Johnsson are all bridge deals and not really even great ones. I'm sorry but I'll take Thachuk over all three COMBINED and then some.

neither Kerfoot or Johnsson are bridge deals and all those deals were pretty well received but go off I guess

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

At least it means the Leafs won't be carrying a Lucic-style contract for the forseeable future.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
If you sincerely think Morgan Rielly is a better defensive defenseman than Ian Cole, there is a major flaw in the method that led you to draw that conclusion.
Cole could be a good penalty killing 3rd pairing guy. Defence isnt all hard hitting in the corner play. its also getting the puck out of your zone and onto your teammates stick, or carrying it yourself. I know who i'm taking

Reactions: Yackiberg8

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Just preliminary talks. Nothing to get worked up about. Could cut it looking at Spurgeons deal

Why? Barrie is better than Spurgeon, represented by one of the best agencies. He's not taking just 0.5 over Spurgeon, he's getting 9 mill in Vancouver.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
It's just weird with Dubas because he signed Kap and AJ to very good deals. But with Matthews, he gave away term AND gave him the 2nd highest contract. Then of course Marner followed suit when Marner led the team in points and PPG.

Dubas was clearly overmatched in the M&M negotiations. The extra term and a few extra million to use would help them come trade deadline time, injuries, re-signing depth. But in the end, it might cost them a AJ or Kap and dress someone like Bracco instead. It's NOT a doom and gloom like some like to pretend it is. I just wish Leafs fans could admit that he DID overpay or should have got more term(Matthews).

As I've pointed out, every team overplays some players. The question is, what players are you overpaying? and by how much? It is players in the top 6, or bottom 6? Is it players entering their prime? Or leaving it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad