Speculation: All Complaints/Critiques/Defenses of Leafs RFA Deals vis a vis Rantanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kerfoot produced the most when he was on the third line. His production fell off when he was put up against better opposition and he didn't play with the offensive talent as a 3rd liner on Colorado. he's better positioned to succeed on Toronto's 3rd line than Kadri is on Colorado's second line with Jost and Donskoi.
We will see but 3.5M for 4 years is a lot to spend on a player that is not going to get prime PP time on the Leafs, where 38% of his total 42 points on the Avs last year was on the PP. 5 v 5 stats don't lie, I recall saying this for Marleau too, no one listened too. I think Dubas overspent here too.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
We will see but 3.5M for 4 years is a lot to spend on a player that is not going to get prime PP time on the Leafs, where 38% of his total 42 points on the Avs last year was on the PP. 5 v 5 stats don't lie, I recall saying this for Marleau too, no one listened too. I think Dubas overspent here too.

If Marleau can produce 10pts on Toronot's 2nd PP I don't see Kerfoot's production suffering, expecially since he has much better linemates on the Leafs vs. Colorado.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I guess you will dismiss the fact that Ratanen had 71% Ozone starts vs. Marners 52%. Fact is Ratanen got sheltered minutes that Marner did not. He's a one dimensional player who is only put on the ice to score and little else.

Tell me more about how a player who played as much as Rantanen, naturally one of the prime focuses of the other club to shut down each night on a team you've been arguing has no depth even with Kadri, was sheltered last season. Seriously, please give it a shot. Did other coaches just do jazz hands and stick their weakest players out there when one of three top six players on the Avs jumped over the boards? Did they preserve their best defensmen and matchup forwards for Alexander Kerfoot, Tyson Jost, and JT Compher? And as to zone starts, they don't really matter when it comes to actual output. There are many articles out there on it so ignorance isn't really an excuse. For instance, here or here. It's really all summed up by this:
At season scales, for almost every regular player, zone starts don't matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: doomscroll and DFC

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Marleau can produce 10pts on Toronot's 2nd PP I don't see Kerfoot's production suffering, expecially since he has much better linemates on the Leafs vs. Colorado.
Who is he going to play ahead of on the PP in Toronto? Matthews, Tavares, Marner, AJ, Nylander, Kapanen, Spezza? Ask Avs fans, he was not productive 5 v 5 last year. He's certainly not as good as Kadri was offensively and you saw what happened to him last year. Dubas overspent on a fringe part. No reason to give Kerfoot 4 years.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
And if they got Marner at something closer to 9.5-10, Nylander closer to 6-6.5 and Matthews around 10-11, that’s enough to actually be able to carry a 23 man roster, have depth guys who make more than 700k or maybe not be cornered into having Hutchinson as the back up. / Leafs rant.
I’m thrilled Sakic got this done for the Avs and look forward to seeing them dominate this year.
Thats true, but I dont see penny pinching as a huge necessity. Nothing wrong with the guys they have making 700k right now, they will probably cycle through minimums/elc's to fill out the 4th line. I think colorado will be very good, but past their 1st line they are very weak forward wise and their depth concerns me. Not taking shots at them, just an imo

Reactions: Yackiberg8

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
What I find interesting is not the Leafs overpaying for Marner, but how little the front-loaded structure and max bonuses meant. I thought the whole idea behind that was the Leafs flexing their financial muscle to get a discount in a way that many organizations are not capable of doing just via cash flow. Instead, it seems like they ended up giving that just because they could afford to do so.

I'm curious to see if they scale back the usage of that type of contract. That could have a leaguewide effect. That structure, particularly the bonuses, is a nuisance for most of the league. If a team like Toronto is not getting anything out of handing them out like candy, what's the point?

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Every team has a few players who are overpaid, and a few which are underpaid. I'd rather overpay players who are entering their prime than overpay those who are leaving/have left it.

So every team has bad contracts, its Dubas defence? If he had done it right, 2m at left wing 1m in the middle and 0.5m save at right wing!.

Then you had the chance to perhaps keep Barrie without moving a core player!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So every team has bad contracts, its Dubas defence? If he had done it right, 2m at left wing 1m in the middle and 0.5m save at right wing!.

Hush, you.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Definitely disappointed seeing this as a Leaf fan, we will be okay however.

HF never ceases to amaze that 95% of all threads and posts are about the Leafs. They are truly the most important franchise in the league.

The salary cap would probably just be hitting $50 million if the Leafs didn’t exist.
So thanks for driving up everyone's ticket prices? Is that the takeaway here?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Who exactly on the Leafs are they overpaying on LW?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
...In the preseason?

Is he going to get slower or dumber once October hits?

He just has to go even with whatever scraps are leftover after Matthews and Tavares face the other teams best. It's really not a big ask.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Is he going to get slower or dumber once October hits?

He just has to go even with whatever scraps are leftover after Matthews and Tavares face the other teams best. It's really not a big ask.

It's really tough to judge what a player is going to look like based on their pre-season. Much different in February and March when some fatigue has accumulated.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
It's really tough to judge what a player is going to look like based on their pre-season. Much different in February and March when some fatigue has accumulated.

Ok, we've seen him in February and March, he does fine against 3rd liners and is a passable injury fill in riding shotgun with a star.

I don't see the point you guys are trying to make. We're talking about 14-16 minutes of playing time against scraps, I really don't care if it's Kadri or Kerfoot doing an ok job of it. Neither one dominates that matchup.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Toronto has to be all in for the Cup this year. They’re not finding better defencemen than Muzzin/Barrie at their cap hits, they’re both free agents at the end of the year, and Toronto has virtually no bad money coming off their cap at the end of this year.

If they don’t do it this year, I don’t know if they ever will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad