Speculation: All Complaints/Critiques/Defenses of Leafs RFA Deals vis a vis Rantanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Who exactly on the Leafs are they overpaying on LW?

Forgot that M.M cant play off his wing, save 0.5m extra for that!

The subject of my post, was savings on your big 3 Rfa signings, cut to market value and you could perhaps sign Barrie off season without ship any core player!

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Dubas is the type of GM that makes us fans go through a freaking lockout year with no hockey...

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Maybe Marner and Matthews were appropriately paid and all those other RFAs were underpaid....
Google "free markets".

I think when it comes to a GM negotiating contracts in a salary cap world, you want the "underpaid" guy rather than the "appropriately paid" guy in charge.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
There’s three broad categories of GMs as I see it when it comes to contracts. (Although obviously there’s a lot of overlap and these are pretty broad generalizations).
1. Those that overpay a lot of plugs who don’t contribute much to the team. (Jimbo Benning I’m looking at you).
2. Those that overpay their star players but don’t have a lot of bad contracts given to poor players.
3. Those that don’t overpay for plugs or star players and get players to buy into the good of the team or a salary structure.

Imo Dubas falls mostly into category 2 which makes him better than at least half of the GMs who fall into category 1.
But it also makes him worse than those who fall into category 3.

Now that’s just on contracts. On trades I think he’s actually done quite well. Muzzin was a really good add. He paid a high price for probably one year of Barrie but he didn’t give up any of the future and I’m a firm believer that contenders need to go all in every year. And getting rid of the Zaitsev contract for one year of Ceci was a very good trade. Not crazy about Marleau for a first but he wasn’t a Dubas signing originally.
So definitely an above average GM but the overpayment of the young players will be a big concern going forward imo.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Toronto has to be all in for the Cup this year. They’re not finding better defencemen than Muzzin/Barrie at their cap hits, they’re both free agents at the end of the year, and Toronto has virtually no bad money coming off their cap at the end of this year.

If they don’t do it this year, I don’t know if they ever will.
We're all in for the next 5+

Capfriendly should be a safe place to stay though as we're destroying your teams on the ice :(

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Leafs really could have used that extra 1.6 Million. When Dermott and Hyman come off IR the Leafs will need to shed 3 Million and they can't do that with just drop 3 players since those guys they would cut all make under a million. They will need to either make another trade to move a key player or cut 4 guys and go with a 21 man roster. Now imagine Marner signed for what Rant did, They would only have to cut two guys and still have a 23 man roster.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Marner and Matthews are both roughly 1M overpaid.....I don’t get the big deal. Are the Leafs a significantly better team with an additional 2M in cap space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad