Speculation: All Complaints/Critiques/Defenses of Leafs RFA Deals vis a vis Rantanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's just weird with Dubas because he signed Kap and AJ to very good deals. But with Matthews, he gave away term AND gave him the 2nd highest contract. Then of course Marner followed suit when Marner led the team in points and PPG.

Dubas was clearly overmatched in the M&M negotiations. The extra term and a few extra million to use would help them come trade deadline time, injuries, re-signing depth. But in the end, it might cost them a AJ or Kap and dress someone like Bracco instead. It's NOT a doom and gloom like some like to pretend it is. I just wish Leafs fans could admit that he DID overpay or should have got more term(Matthews).
I don't get the Kerfoot deal, not sold that was a good one yet, Kap and AJ are fair deals I agree. And I Agree that the Nylander, Marner, Matthews deals showed Dubas was clearly overmatched. It looks like he misread the market as none of the other GM's followed his outlier number on Marner. It's not tax savings as was referred to by some on Point, it is because Sakic and other GM's are better negotiators than Dubas is.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
As I've pointed out, every team overplays some players. The question is, what players are you overpaying? and by how much? It is players in the top 6, or bottom 6? Is it players entering their prime? Or leaving it?
Incorrect. The top GMs don’t make those kind of mistakes. While it’s obviously better to overpay your stars than your plugs, the best GMs avoid both types of overpayments. Those teams have a big advantage over teams with a GM like Dubas who just give a blank cheque to their top players.
Locking up the better player in Rantanen at $1.6 million less than Marner and then of course the McKinnon deal is a huge advantage long term.

Last edited:

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Why? Barrie is better than Spurgeon, represented by one of the best agencies. He's not taking just 0.5 over Spurgeon, he's getting 9 mill in Vancouver.

Vancouver doesn't have anymore cap space than Toronto does next year. And maybe Barrie actually wants to stay with a team that can at least make the playoffs.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Cole could be a good penalty killing 3rd pairing guy. Defence isnt all hard hitting in the corner play. its also getting the puck out of your zone and onto your teammates stick, or carrying it yourself. I know who i'm taking

Cole played top-4 minutes for Colorado this year in the regular season and the playoffs.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I don't get the Kerfoot deal, not sold that was a good one yet, Kap and AJ are fair deals I agree. And I Agree that the Nylander, Marner, Matthews deals showed Dubas was clearly overmatched. It looks like he misread the market as none of the other GM's followed his outlier number on Marner. It's not tax savings as was referred by some on Point, it is Sakic and others are better negotiators than Dubas is.

Kerfoot is a 40+ point 3rd line center earning under 4mil for the next 4 years of his prime. What's not to like? And he'll pass the puck to his shooting forwards, unlike the more expensive snakebit puckhog the leafs let go.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Vancouver doesn't have anymore cap space than Toronto does next year. And maybe Barrie actually wants to stay with a team that can at least make the playoffs.

You have nobody setting this precedent.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Look man, most leaf fans know we got slapped sigh. Nice contract for the avs enjoy it guys.

That's OK, Colorado fans will realize Kadri isn't the answer they thought they were trading for.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Ian Cole is an underrated top-4 defenseman who would arguably be the best defensive defenseman on the Maple Leafs.

I mean...he was really good for the first 25 games or so of last season...but the rest of it...he isn't that great. Sort of just a 4/5.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Barrie will want the same overpayment as the other Leafs players in order for the Leafs to sign him, regardless of whether they are competitive. Why would he settle for less?

Reactions: Fairview and DFC

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Barrie will want the same overpayment as the other Leafs players in order for the Leafs to sign him, regardless of whether they are competitive. Why would he settle for less?

Then Vancouver certainly won't be able to afford him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kerfoot is a 40+ point 3rd line center earning under 4mil for the next 4 years of his prime. What's not to like? And he'll pass the puck to his shooting forwards, unlike the more expensive snakebit puckhog the leafs let go.
He also played #2PP mins last year, with some mediocre 5v5 numbers. We will see, but he will get even less offensive opportunities this year playing behind Tavares and Matthews. There is a reason why the Avs dealt him, we will see. He was a better 2 year bridge IMO. As for Marner's deal in light of the Rants signing, this speaks for itself. Dubas badly misread the market.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I mean...he was really good for the first 25 games or so of last season...but the rest of it...he isn't that great. Sort of just a 4/5.

I thought he played at a solid #4 level in the playoffs. Maybe bonafide top-4 defenseman is too friendly to him, but he’s still an underrated player and strictly defensively speaking, there’s an argument to be made that he is superior to anybody on Toronto’s blue line.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Marner had a much higher 9/60 than Ratanen last year. Colorado has no scoring depth (Kadri doesn't really fix that on his own). Ratanen had to play 20% more each night to manage 10 pts less than Marner.

Couldn't care less about p/60, it's so overused and cherrypicked by fanboys on the internet to "prove" selective points when convenient. And based on ignorance, in the case of this post. The minutes the Avs' top 3 were forced into last season weren't an advantage, they were a disadvantage over an 82 game season + playoffs. They were an overplayed and exhausted group thanks to terrible secondary forward pieces, and were the only target the other club had to focus on shutting down on a nightly basis. Bednar's solution whenever the Avs needed a goal was just to increase the minutes of the top group and hope something happened. No Auston Matthews running around on another line to ease the pressure of having to score, and pulling away some of the matchups.

It can be framed both ways, see?

Last edited:

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
He also played #2PP mins last year, with some mediocre 5v5 numbers. We will see, but he will get even less offensive opportunities this year playing behind Tavares and Matthews. There is a reason why the Avs dealt him, we will see. He was a better 2 year bridge IMO. As for Marner's deal in light of the Rants signing, this speaks for itself. Dubas badly misread the market.

Kerfoot produced the most when he was on the third line. His production fell off when he was put up against better opposition and he didn't play with the offensive talent as a 3rd liner on Colorado. he's better positioned to succeed on Toronto's 3rd line than Kadri is on Colorado's second line with Jost and Donskoi.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
So we can save it for free agency and pick up an Ian Cole or Brandon Tanev? They have their guys locked up
And if they got Marner at something closer to 9.5-10, Nylander closer to 6-6.5 and Matthews around 10-11, that’s enough to actually be able to carry a 23 man roster, have depth guys who make more than 700k or maybe not be cornered into having Hutchinson as the back up. / Leafs rant.
I’m thrilled Sakic got this done for the Avs and look forward to seeing them dominate this year.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Couldn't care less about p/60, it's so overused and cherrypicked by fanboys on the internet to "prove" selective points when convenient. And based on ignorance, in the case of this post. The minutes the Avs' top 3 were forced into last season weren't an advantage, they were a disadvantage over an 82 game season + playoffs. They were an overplayed and exhausted group thanks to terrible secondary forward pieces, and were the only target the other club had to focus on shutting down on a nightly basis. No Auston Matthews running around on another line to ease the pressure of having to score, and pulling away some of the matchups.

It can be framed both ways, see?

I guess you will dismiss the fact that Ratanen had 71% Ozone starts vs. Marners 52%. Fact is Ratanen got sheltered minutes that Marner did not. He's a one dimensional player who is only put on the ice to score and little else. But sure, point out that Sakic has been less than a brilliant GM where it comes to finding his team *any* secondary scoring worth speaking of.

Last edited:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Nice job having Rantanen signed is good for hockey. One more to go. Hopefully, it gets done today.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I think this is a problem that's being underestimated. We'll see how much it spreads. They got two solid deals on middling players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad