Speculation: All Complaints/Critiques/Defenses of Leafs RFA Deals vis a vis Rantanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
And Toronto isn't overpaying its bottom six or handing out gold plated retirement contracts like many teams in this league do for what players achieved 5-10 years before they are signed, not what they will be achieving. I for one am happy the leafs won't be handing out huge contracts to prospective grandfathers any time soon.

Sure. But that's because they can't. It's nice to have the option to improve your roster, but keep telling yourself "They would have just wasted the money anyway, so this is a much better strategy," if that's what it takes to make Marner and Matthews's deal feel okay next to this one.

I mean... Sakic has the option to not overpay Rantanen AND not overpay veterans. And then, if he wants, he can make a TDL acquisition. Or not. But the choice is his, because he's left himself room to operate.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Rantanen and Point were the only 2 comparables. Point took a cheap tampa tax bridge, and yes Rantanen got a bit less. Doesnt take away from Marner
No one said it takes away from Marner. We are talking about his overpaid contract not the player.
So of course it takes away from what Dubas paid Marner. A better player got $1.6 million less.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
good stuff avs; now get ranta in and playing; my fantasy hockey needs him :)

9.25 AAV seems pretty good if Ranta keeps up the production; don't see any reason why he wouldnt

freakin' dubas

(am a leafs fan)

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
No one said it takes away from Marner. We are talking about his overpaid contract not the player.
So of course it takes away from what Dubas paid Marner. A better player got $1.6 million less.
At worst they are equal. I dont see any evidence that rantanen is better, however that could change of course. 1.6 is nothing to cry over.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Pretty good deal for both sides. Tax situation is a lot better in Denver than it is in Toronto, so the take home ends up pretty close. Marner gets a little more, but I think he should as he’s lead his team in scoring twice whereas Rantanen has not.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
If its 7 or 8 years thats fantastic value. Toronto media is going to have a field deal with his comparing it to Marner . It'll be funny as hell.

6 it is. Still a good deal. Around 1.6 million per year cheaper than Marner . Oh boy.
Yeah. Rants got overpaid

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Dubas deserves to be criticized after signing Matthews and Marner to those deals.

Weird how you and many Leafs fans weren't defending Chiarelli when he was the laughing stock of HF boards after terrible trades/signings. Heck, you guys contributed the most.

Because Chiarelli made his team progressively worse every year. Can you say the same thing about the Leafs under Dubas?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Every team has a few players who are overpaid, and a few which are underpaid. I'd rather overpay players who are entering their prime than overpay those who are leaving/have left it.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Ah ok, so you're the deciding factor on what's allowed to be criticized HF.

Got it boss.

No, explaining why Chiarelli deserves to be mocked. When Toronto hits the same galaxy as the skid that Edmonton has, I'll be the first to say Dubas needs the boot.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Both players are amazing in their own right. 1.6 more is nothing to fuss over. Other teams are paying scrubs twice that
Yet you and many Leafs fan criticized the Draisaitl signing heavily. What should he have been signed for at the time, 6.9 mil? If so, 8.5 mil should have been nothing to criticize Chia over.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Peter Dubas

tBLBBqB.jpg

Last edited:

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Yet you and many Leafs fan criticized the Draisaitl signing heavily. What should he have been signed for at the time, 6.9 mil? If so, 8.5 mil should have been nothing to criticize Chia over.
Good job completely changing the subject. I said no such thing about Draisatl's deal

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Better at what? Surely not hockey

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Every team has a few players who are overpaid, and a few which are underpaid. I'd rather overpay players who are entering their prime than overpay those who are leaving/have left it.
I’d rather have overpaid players in their prime too.
But the problem is that some of the top GMs have fairly paid or underpaid players in their prime and that’s what separates the great GMs from the average ones. There’s no question this gives teams like TBay and Colorado a big advantage over the Leafs in the long term.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

It's easy to say that until a bunch of your "paid just right" players turn out to deserve their league minimum contracts.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad