All Bruins trade proposals/rumors: XXXVI: How can this team be fixed? ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
No offense to anyone but can we cut the Trotman/C.Miller top paring D crap.

At the beginning of the 09-10 season, Johnny Boychuk was a 26 year old post-prospect, career AHLer with 5 NHL games under his belt. He couldn't skate well, and wasn't thought of as having the best hockey sense.

You have two choices. You can pay up the nose for people who have proven it, or you can develop young guys and hope.

In 09-10 the Bruins took a chance and it paid off. Will it payoff with Trotman/C. Miller/Morrow?

Trotman looks like a guy low on sexy skill, but was arguably the P-Bruins best player by the end of the year. He is big, can move well, makes a good first pass, and has a good shot. He ain't winning any trophies. But will he make the safe play, not turn the puck over, use his size to win puck battles, and defer to Chara in the offensive zone?

C. Miller has straight line speed like Bart, but also a shot. Does he have hockey sense? Can he play D? Is his speed just for skating contests or is it game speed? He really had a break out year last year in the AHL. 19 goals is pretty damn impressive.

I, for one, think that putting Miller on the Chara line is as foolhardy as putting Hamilton with Chara was. Let the Chara pairing play D...lets not try to change it into a two way pairing when you are going to be giving them the bad zone starts and tough matchups. Makes me want to rip my hair out how they used Hamilton.

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota
I'd never advocate giving up a first rounder for anyone not at the top of their position. Now if we're talking Shattenkirk or Pietrangelo that's another story (for our 1st not the San Jose 1st).
For Okposo I'd do a deal centered around Connolly and/or Subban or Morrow as Hazi said.

Pretty much exactly where I'm at. If a golden opportunity presents itself then by all means take advantage of it but those are usually few and far between. I'm also not sold on the idea that our current roster is a bottom-feeder... with Rask, Bergeron and a healthy Chara teams will definitely have to earn their 2 points against us.

People who say we'll be in the Edmonton/Toronto/Buffalo club don't take into consideration the fact that we've got a coach, system, and core roster that all know what it takes to win in the NHL. That can sometimes be the difference between just making or just missing the playoffs.

Of course I agree that improvements need to be made to this roster (a top 4 D would go a long way right now) but I'm eager to see where we sit in the standings by US Thanks Giving next season.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I'd never advocate giving up a first rounder for anyone not at the top of their position. Now if we're talking Shattenkirk or Pietrangelo that's another story (for our 1st not the San Jose 1st).
For Okposo I'd do a deal centered around Connolly and/or Subban or Morrow as Hazi said.

Pretty much agree with all of this, especially the part about at least retaining the SJS first for next year, as I think that will be a 1-10 pick, possibly top 5 (fingers crossed).

Okposo would be great to have here too; a legit top line winger to bring some guaranteed skill to the forward group, to play beside Krejci.

Beleskey-Krejci-Okposo ---> looks good.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Pretty much exactly where I'm at. If a golden opportunity presents itself then by all means take advantage of it but those are usually few and far between. I'm also not sold on the idea that our current roster is a bottom-feeder... with Rask, Bergeron and a healthy Chara teams will definitely have to earn their 2 points against us.

People who say we'll be in the Edmonton/Toronto/Buffalo club don't take into consideration the fact that we've got a coach, system, and core roster that all know what it takes to win in the NHL. That can sometimes be the difference between just making or just missing the playoffs.

Of course I agree that improvements need to be made to this roster (a top 4 D would go a long way right now) but I'm eager to see where we sit in the standings by US Thanks Giving next season.

Funny, I didn't see your post until now. Seems we used similar language/sentiment.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
You gotta believe Kelly is gone. Normally, I'd say that's something I have to see to believe, but with the forwards brought in and presumably DS/Neely signing off on Connolly...there's a glut at forward.

I just don't see Kelly on L4. That's glaring.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
At the beginning of the 09-10 season, Johnny Boychuk was a 26 year old post-prospect, career AHLer with 5 NHL games under his belt. He couldn't skate well, and wasn't thought of as having the best hockey sense.

You have two choices. You can pay up the nose for people who have proven it, or you can develop young guys and hope.

In 09-10 the Bruins took a chance and it paid off. Will it payoff with Trotman/C. Miller/Morrow?

Trotman looks like a guy low on sexy skill, but was arguably the P-Bruins best player by the end of the year. He is big, can move well, makes a good first pass, and has a good shot. He ain't winning any trophies. But will he make the safe play, not turn the puck over, use his size to win puck battles, and defer to Chara in the offensive zone?

C. Miller has straight line speed like Bart, but also a shot. Does he have hockey sense? Can he play D? Is his speed just for skating contests or is it game speed? He really had a break out year last year in the AHL. 19 goals is pretty damn impressive.

I, for one, think that putting Miller on the Chara line is as foolhardy as putting Hamilton with Chara was. Let the Chara pairing play D...lets not try to change it into a two way pairing when you are going to be giving them the bad zone starts and tough matchups. Makes me want to rip my hair out how they used Hamilton.

Excellent post.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
You gotta believe Kelly is gone. Normally, I'd say that's something I have to see to believe, but with the forwards brought in and presumably DS/Neely signing off on Connolly...there's a glut at forward.

I just don't see Kelly on L4. That's glaring.

I've been thinking about it a lot lately. It sounds like all will go into camp, then Sweeney and co will make a decision. And that decision is on Kemppainen. If he looks like a capable 4th line Center, either Kelly or Talbot will most likely be traded. Similar to the Boychuk situation.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I've been thinking about it a lot lately. It sounds like all will go into camp, then Sweeney and co will make a decision. And that decision is on Kemppainen. If he looks like a capable 4th line Center, either Kelly or Talbot will most likely be traded. Similar to the Boychuk situation.

Makes sense.

I think they like not love Talbot more than people think. His skill set and mentality fit well with Kemp and Rinaldo. Fiesty vet, but the level head.

I just don't want to hear, "it's early season, no one is making trades."

I don't like it, but I think the people saying Kelly will go at the deadline might be right.

Screwing around. *sighs* Just give me the money.

They could platoon someone with Rinaldo, I guess. Not a fan of that. If you like a guy, play him.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Makes sense.

I think they like not love Talbot more than people think. His skill set and mentality fit well with Kemp and Rinaldo. Fiesty vet, but the level head.

I just don't want to hear, "it's early season, no one is making trades."

I don't like it, but I think the people saying Kelly will go at the deadline might be right.

Screwing around. *sighs* Just give me the money.

They could platoon someone with Rinaldo, I guess. Not a fan of that. If you like a guy, play him.

I bet you can actually get something for Kelly from a young playoff team near the deadline.

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
That is pretty suspicious territory, he was losing games just fine last postseason.

Hey I'm with ya. but he was linked to Boston and Calgary as a potential landing spot and I kept hearing if the knee checks out he's on the move. Didn't happen, though I didn't hear why, Sweeney not trading for him is a win in my book. Have enough overpaid plugs already thanks.

Can't imagine with all the other crap going on the league wouldn't just let that one slide without trying to calm the outraged masses. Though who knows what really goes on.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Hey I'm with ya. but he was linked to Boston and Calgary as a potential landing spot and I kept hearing if the knee checks out he's on the move. Didn't happen, though I didn't hear why, Sweeney not trading for him is a win in my book. Have enough overpaid plugs already thanks.

Can't imagine with all the other crap going on the league wouldn't just let that one slide without trying to calm the outraged masses. Though who knows what really goes on.

With Beleskey in the picture, zero chance. I'd like to think our forward group is already set, other than the minor subtraction that will happen to our 4th line.

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
Hey I'm with you there. Barring a miracle at camp from a prospect or Kelly getting traded I'm fine with the forward core the way it is. Bickell would've been a mistake at the draft and is now just completely in necessary.

Krejci wakes up with new line mates I think. Hope they put him with Loui and Connolly to start.

The defense looks bleak and aside from Krug who knows how any of the rest of them will play. That's the vets too. Not a lot out there but a season of pain to add more youth to get everything fluid again I'm excited. Best to get out in front of it before it becomes stale.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
"prove it" deal at 3 mill?

No bloody thanks, a prove it number is 1 million IMO

Brad Richards signed a deal like that with the Hawks, that`s a "prove it" deal

My guess is fans here would be using Semin as THE whipping boy by pre-season game number 2

I think Kelly + Seidenberg are already pencilled in for that role :laugh:

Semin is obviously a risk, but if he found his game he could be exactly what we need

Beleskey Krejci Pastrnak
Marchand Bergeron Semin
Eriksson Spooner Hayes

That doesn't look half bad

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
"prove it" deal at 3 mill?

No bloody thanks, a prove it number is 1 million IMO

Brad Richards signed a deal like that with the Hawks, that`s a "prove it" deal

My guess is fans here would be using Semin as THE whipping boy by pre-season game number 2

Possibly, but likely not on a cheap "prove it" deal. If he signed for $1-2m, for example. I mean, we tolerated Simon Gagne for half a season...

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Would love this team to unload Kelly
More skill on each line, he's a good vet and leader but still want this team faster and younger.

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
I would love to sign Semin. Especially if Sweeney doesn't have any other forwards in mind to sign.

He's actually pretty good defensively. He has had one of the best wrist shots in the entire league, and I'm guessing he just became complacent in a non-traditional hockey market in Carolina.

Sign him for 3M and see if he can be that shooter for Krejci's RW. If it's a "prove it" year for him I'd imagine he'd actually play pretty well. Worst case scenario it doesn't work out and he's gone after a year. We have the cap space to take that risk now anyways.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I would love to sign Semin. Especially if Sweeney doesn't have any other forwards in mind to sign.

He's actually pretty good defensively. He has had one of the best wrist shots in the entire league, and I'm guessing he just became complacent in a non-traditional hockey market in Carolina.

Sign him for 3M and see if he can be that shooter for Krejci's RW. If it's a "prove it" year for him I'd imagine he'd actually play pretty well. Worst case scenario it doesn't work out and he's gone after a year. We have the cap space to take that risk now anyways.

Yeah a 1 year deal (that's not like the Iginla deal) isn't really risky, especially as with the currently constituted D, we're not shoe-ins for the playoffs. Give him a shot; the guy has elite level talent--7 time 20 goal scorer, three time 30 goal scorer, one time 40 goal scorer. Maybe he finds new life with the spoked B.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad