All Bruins trade proposals/rumors: XXXVI: How can this team be fixed? ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Has there been any word on Connolly yet?
He didn't file for arbitration which to me seems like he must be confident a deal gets done. I could be way off here tho!

I don't like the thought of Semin here. I don't think he meshes with the team. I would really like:
1) Okposo
2) Boedker
3) Sharp
4) Stewart- I feel he'd be a perfect Lucic replacement

I don't think our top 6 is quite strong enough and with the cap space we have+ Kelly, we can afford to snag one of these guys. In a perfect world, I'd like to grab another dman as well, but outside of the homeruns like Shattenkirk/Seabrook, I don't see anyone out there than I want to pay and gamble on. I'd rather take my chances with Morrow/C Miller/Trotman being able to play top4 minutes ala Johnny B

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
sign whoever can be flipped at the deadline for picks once they are out of it.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Semin would be cool if cheap
Like the team to get another D

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Shawn Matthias for 2million
No thanks
Why are the leafs so dumb?

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Why are we going to be out of it at the deadline?
Because we traded Hamilton? The guy didn't want to be a Bruin, personally I never liked the kid, he was soft as butter and demanding 7 million from us at the age of 22? Lucic was my favorite player but not only did we build for the future, we replaced him with Beleskey and possibly more.

We still have one of the best 1-2 punches for centre's in the entire league. We have Chara who is still a top 5 shutdown pairing dman in the league. We have arguably a top 5 goalie in the world in Rask, one season removed from the Vezina. We got rid of Campbell, Paille, Gagne, Bartowski from last year, a series of events that people have been crying to happen for ages. We traded Reilly Smith who people thought was grossly overpaid and a one hit wonder. We did all that good, and still people think we're going to be a basement dwelling team? So I mentioned Krejci-Bergy-Rask-Chara........how about Spooner, who has looked Savard-esque for us last season? Pasta is going to be a superstar in the league, his talent is sick. ERiksson is still a top 6 guy, same as Marshy. Beleskey and Hayes WANT to play for the Bruins and I think will have great seasons. Connolly could turn out to be a huge steal for us and be a 30 goal guy. I see our team this season as better off than what we started out with last year. DS will go out and grab us either a top 6 forward or top 4 d..........(maybe both) and we'll be back to where we were........all the while stock piling our team with future prospects. I love where we're at right now.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Because we traded Hamilton? The guy didn't want to be a Bruin, personally I never liked the kid, he was soft as butter and demanding 7 million from us at the age of 22? Lucic was my favorite player but not only did we build for the future, we replaced him with Beleskey and possibly more.

We still have one of the best 1-2 punches for centre's in the entire league. We have Chara who is still a top 5 shutdown pairing dman in the league. We have arguably a top 5 goalie in the world in Rask, one season removed from the Vezina. We got rid of Campbell, Paille, Gagne, Bartowski from last year, a series of events that people have been crying to happen for ages. We traded Reilly Smith who people thought was grossly overpaid and a one hit wonder. We did all that good, and still people think we're going to be a basement dwelling team? So I mentioned Krejci-Bergy-Rask-Chara........how about Spooner, who has looked Savard-esque for us last season? Pasta is going to be a superstar in the league, his talent is sick. ERiksson is still a top 6 guy, same as Marshy. Beleskey and Hayes WANT to play for the Bruins and I think will have great seasons. Connolly could turn out to be a huge steal for us and be a 30 goal guy. I see our team this season as better off than what we started out with last year. DS will go out and grab us either a top 6 forward or top 4 d..........(maybe both) and we'll be back to where we were........all the while stock piling our team with future prospects. I love where we're at right now.

Still need some d help and

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011

He never demanded 7m he just wanted out. not sure if it was the city, his teammates, the staff/front office or what

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

Our defense was pretty awful last year -- slow, aging, injury prone. And really the only change was losing our second best D -- Hamilton.

We needed another top 4 D to have a contending defensive group. And then Hamilton left. So we're two top 4 D away... Maybe Morrow contributes this year, but I don't expect him to step into top two pairings. Maybe a third pairing guy.

And that's not even mentioning the fact we still haven't filled the Seguin/Horton/Iginla skills gap up front...

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast

I think our forward corps are fine, but if that defense doesn't improve then we will be stuck in the same spot as we were least season.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Alex Semin reportedly looking to sign a 1yr "prove it" deal. RH shot, can snipe, low risk signing?

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...ng-for-a-one-year-deal-not-interested-in-khl/

Semin for 1year deal could be great, make sure we have ton of cap available next offseason, Semin+Lucic's cap hit+Kelly's contract off the books and then the cap change.
Then do big signings/trades to fill up the roster.

That's would be a quick way to turn this team back to being contenders.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Would love to see that but it's unlikely to happen and be prepared to watch every young guy we have be offersheeted after that until we are even

Do you want to see Pastrnak with the toilet seat on his jersey in a few years?

Absolutely not. I have this feeling Galchenyuk hates playing for the MTL coach, so he would be an easy signing.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

Like Hamilton or not, he was our #2 defenseman last season. And we didn't replace him. So... defense is worse without him (unless there are more moves/signings). As is, the defense is worse. It's the same defense minus him.

Lucic, despite all of his faults, is the better hockey player than Beleskey. So we downgrade there.

That doesn't mean that I think either of those players were going to stay and that it wasn't the right idea to move them (for whatever reason).

BUT this team didn't improve yet. Giving Donny some more time as it's still early, but as of right now, we can't subtract a top pairing defenseman and top 6 forward; replace them with lesser players and expect the team to improve. I see you are hopeful that Donny is able to improve what we have, as am I. But until then, call me a skeptic.

I think Donny is playing the long game, but as of now, next years team is on the cusp again, worse than we were last year, without upgrades.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Like Hamilton or not, he was our #2 defenseman last season. And we didn't replace him. So... defense is worse without him (unless there are more moves/signings). As is, the defense is worse. It's the same defense minus him.

Lucic, despite all of his faults, is the better hockey player than Beleskey. So we downgrade there.

That doesn't mean that I think either of those players were going to stay and that it wasn't the right idea to move them (for whatever reason).

BUT this team didn't improve yet. Giving Donny some more time as it's still early, but as of right now, we can't subtract a top pairing defenseman and top 6 forward; replace them with lesser players and expect the team to improve. I see you are hopeful that Donny is able to improve what we have, as am I. But until then, call me a skeptic.

I think Donny is playing the long game, but as of now, next years team is on the cusp again, worse than we were last year, without upgrades.

Out: Lucic(hurts), Hamilton(hurts), Smith, Svedberg, Campbell, Paille, Bart, Gagne
In: Beleskey, Hayes, Connolly, C. Miller(potentially)
Full Season: Spooner, Pasta, Krejci(hopefully)

I prefer to take the glass half full approach. Why did our D suck last season?
1) Injuries to Chara, McQuaid, Miller
2) Seids wasn't healthy and ready to return to his old self
3) Steady dose of Bart playing top 4 minutes
4) Forward group were slow- how many times did the kid line and 4th line get pinned in our own zone?
5) A tired Rask due to a incompetent back up

Going into this season, we can assume:
1) Chara, McQuaid, Miller and Seids are a lot healthier than last season
2) Bart gone
3) Team speed should improve
4) Better back up for Rask, or we at least learned he's not capable of playing 65+ games at an elite level

I don't like the rebuild talk, its frustrating especially when we have Chara/Seids/Kelly/Talbot/Eriksson on this team. If we were truly rebuilding, those guys would have been moved. Not Smith/Lucic/Hamilton etc.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Out: Lucic(hurts), Hamilton(hurts), Smith, Svedberg, Campbell, Paille, Bart, Gagne

4) Forward group were slow- how many times did the kid line and 4th line get pinned in our own zone?

2) Bart gone
4) Better back up for Rask, or we at least learned he's not capable of playing 65+ games at an elite level

I don't like the rebuild talk, its frustrating especially when we have Chara/Seids/Kelly/Talbot/Eriksson on this team. If we were truly rebuilding, those guys would have been moved. Not Smith/Lucic/Hamilton etc.

:handclap:

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

2) Bart gone

You can take the glass half full approach, but even healthier players leaves us less talent.

1. Outside of Chara and Seidenberg, who is a top 4 defenseman? I like McQuaid, and even Krug, but neither of them has successfully played a season as a top 4 defenseman. Expecting them to be is reaching at best. Krug has potential, but I still question his ability to be more than a PP weapon/3rd pair.

2. Bart wasn't good, but the fact that he was playing in our top 4 because we already were short a top 4 defenseman (and now 2) is very troublesome.

3. I hope so, that's the most realistic thing you've addressed.

4. Who is the better backup? Svedberg's AHL resume was pretty solid, as well as him being older than anyone we have in our current system. Goalies can improve. So maybe Smith comes out solid. But I think they have just a good a chance to be Svedberg level.

I'm being optimistic that Don Sweeney can finish off this roster with the right moves, but as the team stands currently... I don't know how anyone can see it being an improvement. I think they are heading in the right direction, but they are still missing some pieces.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

2) Bart gone

I try and live by the: "I'm half way to my next beer" approach. :laugh:

That said, I agree with a lot of what you said but the defense minus Dougie and Bart just got a whole lot slower and I don't see much help with the transition game. The Team has done a good job reworking the forward group and while they're certainly not as skilled, the effort, willingness to pay a price, team first mentality is definitely on the rise.

I still believe this will be a transition year. A year where guys like Hayes, Connolly, Spooner, Krug prove to the team where they fit for the future if at all. A year where Bruins fans will be watching nearly as much WHL, QMJHL and OHL hockey as NHL keeping tabs on Zboril, DeBrusk, Senyshyn, Carlo, Gabrielle, and Lauzon (it's been a while since we've had so many players to look forward to).

In the end this team could stick around like Ottawa did last year and if they start to mesh, could be a scary team to run into come February-April. I still put their chances at a playoff spot though as grim and to be honest if they hope to have a new contender window open in the Bergeron/Rask era, they'll need to hit bottom or hope San Jose does for a chance at a franchise defensemen which they'll need.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
Would love to see that but it's unlikely to happen and be prepared to watch every young guy we have be offersheeted after that until we are even

Do you want to see Pastrnak with the toilet seat on his jersey in a few years?

The Orca C thing isnt a toilet seat, though I can totally see us getting a decent pick from the 1st rounder we will get in 2019

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary

2) Bart gone

We also lost goal scoring / offence in Soderberg. Though he seemed baged by the end of the season.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
The Orca C thing isnt a toilet seat, though I can totally see us getting a decent pick from the 1st rounder we will get in 2019

Hmm? Im not talking about the canucks.

Absolutely not. I have this feeling Galchenyuk hates playing for the MTL coach, so he would be an easy signing.

Right but that doesn't change the fact that if we did it they'd be going after every one of our young guys until they got one or it hurt our cap badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad