To NJD:

Vaakanainen
Backes
Heinen
2020 1st

To BOS

Palmieri
Coleman

Would NJ bite on that deal for Palmieri? Who know what Backes 8 team list includes...
Knowing how much the Bruins could use Palmieri NJ would probably want that return for him alone.
Minus Backes of course.

BruinsNetwork

Knowing how much the Bruins could use Palmieri NJ would probably want that return for him alone.
Minus Backes of course.

A first, Heinen and Vaakanainen would be a ridiculous price to pay for Palmeri, IMO. Look what Taylor Hall, a much better player, went for to Arizona. Of course the situations are different— term vs UFA, but Hall has a contract in place upon arrival.

The Bruins shouldn’t have to give up a young, cost-controlled top-nine guy, a blue-chip prospect AND a first-round pick for a 25G/50PTS forward. I’m not sure what the price would be for sure, but I think we’re all overestimating just how much it would cost.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
The report of deal in the back pocket for Toffoli makes me a bit uneasy.....it sounds like its our fall back plan if something else doesn't happen first. Problem is , how long will Kings wait for Bruins to decide before they make a deal with someone else....and if the other players we are interested in don't get moved, or moved somewhere else we are potentially screwed

If things are already agreed on, do it now
Why can't they get Toffoli and then still go after a better player afterwards?

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I asked some Jacket fans what its cost for Anderson, they gave me an answer that was 100% ridiculous! Then I read the Oilers article stating they wanted RNH + Bear/1st. Sorry but you can keep Anderson and his 4 points for that price.
I spoke with someone who works in the NHL recently that I know very well and he said Anderson although big and can skate , he sees himself as a first line player and at times sulks when not on the top line, also he told me Anderson is not exactly the sharpest tool in the toolbox. Not sure I would give up a ton for a player like that.

Reactions: Estlin

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
A first, Heinen and Vaakanainen would be a ridiculous price to pay for Palmeri, IMO. Look what Taylor Hall, a much better player, went for to Arizona. Of course the situations are different— term vs UFA, but Hall has a contract in place upon arrival.

The Bruins shouldn’t have to give up a young, cost-controlled top-nine guy, a blue-chip prospect AND a first-round pick for a 25G/50PTS forward. I’m not sure what the price would be for sure, but I think we’re all overestimating just how much it would cost.
This ^

Reactions: veganbruin

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Why can't they get Toffoli and then still go after a better player afterwards?

Works for me, my theory is a piece they would use to get Toffoli might be the same piece they want to use for a bigger fish, so by getting Toffoli first, it may make them give up something else that they are trying to avoid giving up.....all speculation on my part

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
The report of deal in the back pocket for Toffoli makes me a bit uneasy.....it sounds like its our fall back plan if something else doesn't happen first. Problem is , how long will Kings wait for Bruins to decide before they make a deal with someone else....and if the other players we are interested in don't get moved, or moved somewhere else we are potentially screwed

If things are already agreed on, do it now
Yeah, it sounds as though the Kings are using the Bruins for leverage in getting more out of another team in a deal for TT.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
Report out there says Vegas is looking for Dmen. Only have about 200k cap space. Bruins need big scoring winger.
Reaves & Tuch for Grzelcyk, Moore, Backes (50% salary retained). Or instead of Backes, send them Heinen to fill their right wing.

MBP
Debrusk krejci Tuch
Bjork Coyle Wagner (Heinen)
Nordstrom Kuraly Reaves

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Might have asked this one before - but it’s an appeal to any capologists out there...

Backes is due only one million after his signing bonus next year. Could they then trade him and retain 1 million of his contract, essentially making him free to another club in real dollars (though the cap hit would remain)?

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
Might have asked this one before - but it’s an appeal to any capologists out there...

Backes is due only one million after his signing bonus next year. Could they then trade him and retain 1 million of his contract, essentially making him free to another club in real dollars (though the cap hit would remain)?

You can only retain a percentage of the salary, to a max of 50%, but even then that 500k isn't gonna break the bank even for cash poor teams like the Sens

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Backes is due 2.1 million more this year I think or maybe a bit more 2.3 max.He is due 6 million more next season but they can buy him out I would imagine for far less cap hit then right now or it would have been done.To lazy to look it up.In his contract this year he has a modified ntc .Can only be dealt to 8 teams.Next year it goes to 15.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

that was his deal this year. in 2020-21, backes gets $1M in bonus and $3M in salary.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
that was his deal this year. in 2020-21, backes gets $1M in bonus and $3M in salary.
I thought it was the other way round

David Backes

You can only retain a percentage of the salary, to a max of 50%, but even then that 500k isn't gonna break the bank even for cash poor teams like the Sens
Makes sense - I was thinking maybe the signing bonus would figure in - but it makes a lot more sense that it would be the $ remaining due rather than the total for the year.

Reactions: maxl7

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

But unfortunately still carries that $6m cap hit. I am really trying to remember if there has been a worse deal in Bruins history? I know a lot of people were not happy with the Marty LaPointe contract, maybe that come close, but even he was a regular in the lineup then.

Imagining trading him away is a dream. If he even had some marginal utility at this point, maybe, but he can't get in the lineup as a 4th liner, not even a 13th guy.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

I am worried about cap hit.Not sure Bruins can move him.Worst possible timing with Bruins so close to a Cup far as having real chance.Even some of that money free would be huge.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
I thought it was the other way round

David Backes

Makes sense - I was thinking maybe the signing bonus would figure in - but it makes a lot more sense that it would be the $ remaining due rather than the total for the year.

You can retain on bonuses as well, I was just operating under the assumption that the Bruins wouldn't trade Backes until after his final SB payment. But the answer is still that teams can only retain up to 50% of a contract, so you'd never get a situation where a player is playing for "free", unless they're on LTIR and their contract is insured -- but even then there are the premiums that teams have to pay on that too.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
But unfortunately still carries that $6m cap hit. I am really trying to remember if there has been a worse deal in Bruins history? I know a lot of people were not happy with the Marty LaPointe contract, maybe that come close, but even he was a regular in the lineup then.

Imagining trading him away is a dream. If he even had some marginal utility at this point, maybe, but he can't get in the lineup as a 4th liner, not even a 13th guy.
No cap when Martin was here, did not matter what he was paid. Well to Monty Burns I'm sure it did.

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site

The fighting is cool, but this is more important. Trent Frederic can actually play and be creative/elusive when he’s on his game. I’ve heard for years and years that he can’t play, but the proof is right down there in Providence. This is part of the reason why I wouldn’t trade him.

What other 6’3” 215lbs guy can dummy players left and right, but also skate, pass, handle and shoot like him? There aren’t many. If he had better luck shooting, he’d already be in double-digit goals this season. He’s beaten a lot of goalies, but he just went post-out instead of post-in. He’ll get there.

you wouldnt trade a 1st + Frederic for Kreider?

how many more runs does this core have left in them? have to give to get and if it means parting with frederic so be it.

Reactions: Lo97

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018

how many more runs does this core have left in them? have to give to get and if it means parting with frederic so be it.
I wouldn't do that and I'm not even that big of a fan of Frederic.

Reactions: bbfan419

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019

If Frederic has to be included, I’d offer 2nd at most. Try to keep 1st. But yeah, everyone is movable at the right price.

Reactions: Lo97 and bbfan419

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
No cap when Martin was here, did not matter what he was paid. Well to Monty Burns I'm sure it did.

Right, but I just meant in terms of contract size versus what the guy brought to the table. Any other ones come to mind for you that approach the negative value of the Backes contract?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

Some of your question is a little confusing to me. But 1 part leaps out. He is getting 3 mill real cash salary

Now... could we pay his bonus... and then retain a mill? Would that count 2 mill hit for us? Or 3 mill? Or just 1 mill?

Dom would prob answer better than i, but ive clumsily put this question to him before and wasnt sure what his answer meant,

Safe to say, questions like this is one reason wach team employs capolists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad