Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The Bruins should go all-out to acquire Chris Kreider - The Boston Globe

The Rangers are still deciding whether they want to deal Chris Kreider. If they don’t, the Bruins should force their hand.

This isn’t a call for general manager Don Sweeney to sell the entire farm for Kreider, the top winger available in advance of the Feb. 24 NHL trade deadline. This is where we are, though: Sweeney should add to this veteran group, which came 60 minutes from the Stanley Cup last year. He should not do so by tweaking or tinkering. He should make a major upgrade.

The Bruins need a mid-aged, top-six winger such as Kreider, even if it means shipping out their first-round pick, something Sweeney said he regretted doing in 2018 when he and Rangers GM Jeff Gorton struck a deal for Rick Nash. He shouldn’t be afraid to include a young roster player, since that will be part of the ask.

As good as Jake DeBrusk (23), Danton Heinen (24), or Anders Bjork (23) could be, Kreider (28) offers a mix of maturity, physicality, and pace that would fit with David Krejci better than any of those three.

The Bruins were ninth in scoring at five-on-five entering Thursday (115 goals), according to Natural Stat Trick, but their expected goals — a measure of shot quality — was sixth-worst. They generated the 10th-fewest scoring chances at five aside. They need a play-driver, a chance-generator, a strong finisher who gets inside. A power forward.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
How unrealistic would it be to get Armia? Around 2.5mil cap, hits alot, can score goals. Man I would love him here.

Quite sure Habs wont trade him but I'm daydreaming.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
The Bruins should go all-out to acquire Chris Kreider - The Boston Globe

The Rangers are still deciding whether they want to deal Chris Kreider. If they don’t, the Bruins should force their hand.

This isn’t a call for general manager Don Sweeney to sell the entire farm for Kreider, the top winger available in advance of the Feb. 24 NHL trade deadline. This is where we are, though: Sweeney should add to this veteran group, which came 60 minutes from the Stanley Cup last year. He should not do so by tweaking or tinkering. He should make a major upgrade.

The Bruins need a mid-aged, top-six winger such as Kreider, even if it means shipping out their first-round pick, something Sweeney said he regretted doing in 2018 when he and Rangers GM Jeff Gorton struck a deal for Rick Nash. He shouldn’t be afraid to include a young roster player, since that will be part of the ask.

As good as Jake DeBrusk (23), Danton Heinen (24), or Anders Bjork (23) could be, Kreider (28) offers a mix of maturity, physicality, and pace that would fit with David Krejci better than any of those three.

The Bruins were ninth in scoring at five-on-five entering Thursday (115 goals), according to Natural Stat Trick, but their expected goals — a measure of shot quality — was sixth-worst. They generated the 10th-fewest scoring chances at five aside. They need a play-driver, a chance-generator, a strong finisher who gets inside. A power forward.
Lordy, that entire article is one of the most loving tongue baths ever of a player who has only broken 50 pts twice.

"He might even be captain."

Shameless.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I would rather be kicked in the nuts than have either of them.
Normally this is used as an exaggeration. But if someone could convince me that if I didn't get kicked in the nards, the Bruins were going to trade for Marleau and/or Thornton... Well that's one boot I'm taking for the team.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Normally this is used as an exaggeration. But if someone could convince me that if I didn't get kicked in the nards, the Bruins were going to trade for Marleau and/or Thornton... Well that's one boot I'm taking for the team.
giphy.gif

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Well, let's hope that most of the rumours are reporters trying to get a story.
Kovalchuk is not being traded to the Bruins. Montreal and Boston don't do business with one another and should not. Just because Kovalchuk is doing better in a Habs jersey and getting top minutes should not be a reason why he should be pursued. Montreal can keep him.
Rangers are trying to up Kreider's value by stating he is signing with them. It likely is not happening. Not sure he is worth the amount of assets that are needed in a trade. Bruins can sign him in July if they want him but he might be too costly to sign.
Don't think Palmeri is coming in a trade either.
Toffoli is one of the trades I think will be made.
Sweeney will make a few minor deals but not the ones being advertised.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Mattyports with the mancrush on Kreider. I'd rather take a chance on Josh Anderson for a lot less than give up the farm for Chris Kreider and THEN have to lose Krug and pay him $7 mil + to get him to stay past the summer. When did Chris Kreider become the ultimate savior of a team that doesn't even need one?

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Kovalchuk is not being traded to the Bruins. Montreal and Boston don't do business with one another and should not. Just because Kovalchuk is doing better in a Habs jersey and getting top minutes should not be a reason why he should be pursued. Montreal can keep him.
Rangers are trying to up Kreider's value by stating he is signing with them. It likely is not happening. Not sure he is worth the amount of assets that are needed in a trade. Bruins can sign him in July if they want him but he might be too costly to sign.

What about when we gave them permission to sign Claude Julien. Seems like business to me

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Man.... A lot of "I was right" takes to go back on. Really going out on a limb! Lmao.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
New Yorks and Kreiders contract talks will drag this one, sadly I doubt we'll see anything in the near future.
Yup just like last year with Ottawa with Stone. It went down to the wire. I like Kreider BUT there are serious points to remember here. He's a LW. He's somewhat streaky. He's probably going to command BIG money and cost us at least Krug at the end of the year... And if we pay a 1st and ++ and he leaves without the B's getting the Cup it'll be ugly for Sweeney. I hope that this isn't allowed to go the 12 pm on February 24th due to them waiting on Kreider. I can see a big upgrade with Palmieri and even some of the other names that are mentioned. I've complained ad-nauseum that we need "this and that" but truth be told, when my temper calms down I realize that this team it as ready as any for the playoffs even if they don't make any moves (which I 100% doubt happens). They'll make a couple moves, a big-ish name like Toffoli and/or Palmieri, and then maybe some muscle that's a gamble (Josh Anderson). No matter what happens this playoffs Anderson can't really demand much to re-sign, is a bit of a gamble but at a nominal deal for a couple years it won't kill the B's. Toffoli is a seasoned guy who's been on winners, knows how to pace himself and IMO will come alive here with a change of scenery. I can't see the Bruins swallowing their pride and dealing with Kovi, he picked LA instead of the B's, gets top line help and a free leash in Montreal, and it's MONTREAL ffs! So the "ins'' I've listed above, the "outs" a top 3 draft pick, probably Heinen, definitely Moore, Backes if they sweeten that move and maybe a couple of Providence Bruins (Vaak, Fitzy). Unless we're getting back a huge return Studnicka and Lauzon, Lauko are no go's IMHO.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
How unrealistic would it be to get Armia? Around 2.5mil cap, hits alot, can score goals. Man I would love him here.

Quite sure Habs wont trade him but I'm daydreaming.
Sure, now if the B's DID deal with the Habs for Armia (or Gallagher) and Kovi is a throw in I would be good with that. But the fans in Montreal would probably want Bergevins head if Kovi comes to Boston and wins a Cup.
IMO, Yes on Armia, naaah on Kovi unless a throw-in. I just don't see Sweeney swallowing THAT much pride (kovi alone for a top 3 pick).
EDIT: OT...... With all of the screw-ups that Bergevin has made since he took over, I don't know how there haven't been riots up there. Trading that d-man (name escapes me) to Tampa, trading Subban for Weber etc. I guess maybe because they want more French Canadian players up there as priority?!?!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lo97 and bbfan419
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad