Proposal: All Bruins Rumours/Proposals 2020 IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
@RussellmaniaKW

how dare you, Lou? You're just demanding a trade for the sake of a trade and clearly you just hate Heinen.

seriously, though, I think Senyshyn ought to be in the lineup to start the season too.

Agree with Senny too. Could see Kuraly-Freddy-Wagner/Senny on the 4th line next year as well, or maybe he will compete with Kuhlman.

I think the Bruins clearly value Bjork and Kuhlman over Heinen, and he is making 2.8 mil, which is a lot for a cap crunched team.​

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
@RussellmaniaKW

how dare you, Lou? You're just demanding a trade for the sake of a trade and clearly you just hate Heinen.

seriously, though, I think Senyshyn ought to be in the lineup to start the season too.

Agree with Senny too. Could see Kuraly-Freddy-Wagner/Senny on the 4th line next year as well, or maybe he will compete with Kuhlman.

I think the Bruins clearly value Bjork and Kuhlman over Heinen, and he is making 2.8 mil, which is a lot for a cap crunched team.​

Curious why you think they value Kuhlman over Heinen?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Curious why you think they value Kuhlman over Heinen?

Right shot. Better skater. More tenacious. They basically reserved his spot on the team in the starting lineup when injured. Wore a letter in college. Personally I would rather have Heinen, but I think it's clear the Bruins like Marchand, DeBrusk and Bjork as their permanent LW'ers (unless they add Kreider, which makes Heinen even more likely to go)

Bruins’ Karson Kuhlman will open season as second-line right wing - The Boston Globe

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I looked at TOI since Kuhlman came back and he's under 12 minutes, 2nd to last on the team. The funny thing is Heinen's TOI for the season is over 14 mins, but in 2020 he's down in the 12's so trending downward. Kuhlman is producing since his return so I'd be surprised if he doesn't start to see more ice.

Kuhlman generally gets the nod on the 2nd line over Heinen when both are in the lineup. I'm not sure which piece of info here is most telling.

Heinen is such a lightning rod around here and I feel like you can't say anything good or bad about him without getting someone riled up, but personally I've just never felt like he's a fit here. He's a smart player and decently productive in the regular season, but the team they've been trying to build under Sweeney & Cassidy is one that plays fast and with tenacity. Heinen does neither. Kuhlman is fast and a pretty solid forechecker. So even though Heinen has the better resume in terms of the raw numbers, I can definitely see Kuhlman being a better long-term fit because he fits the blueprint of this GM and coach (and as mentioned is right handed and cheaper for now).

Last edited:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Heinen > Kuhlman and it’s not that close.
Heinen is definitely the better player right now. More proven, produces more, and is better defensively. To say it's "not that close" is kind of silly though. Kuhlman's career point pace is 30 points per 82 games. heinen's is 39. That's fairly close. Both guys are getting around 12 mins of TOI lately. You could put either guy on the 3rd line RW and not see a drastic difference either way. It's nonsense to suggest that there's some huge gap between them. The thing is, I see Kuhlman trending upward. I don't think he has even found his offensive game quite yet (though his 4 points in 5 games since his return suggests he's figuring it out). Heinen had a good rookie year but has kind of stagnated in the 2 years since. If Kuhlman continues to develop his game and tops out as a 40 point guy with speed and tenacity then on paper it's a wash and the choice between players is more about style and fit than anything. I think stylistically Kuhlman is a much better fit so if he shows over the next few months that he can replace Heinen's production then that gives him the edge IMO.
When those pucks start going in for him, which they will eventually- it's like McAvoy- the gap will be even more apparent. I like Kuhlman a great deal, don't get me wrong, but Heinen is just a better hockey player, period.
You talking about Heinen needing puck luck? I think at this point he is what he is. His shot isn't particularly impressive and he's more of a playmaker than a goalscorer. I don't think he's snakebit at all, I think he's scoring goals right around his typical pace.

If anything, of the two players, Kuhlman is the one who is snakebit because he's got a 0% shooting % right now and has had at least one goal overturned this year. The point is you could make the same excuse for both guys, but if anything Kuhlman is the one who is due to get some puck luck. I'd say the gap between the players is much more likely to close than to widen.

Reactions: sarge88

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
personally I've just never felt like he's a fit here. He's a smart player and decently productive in the regular season, but the team they've been trying to build under Sweeney & Cassidy is one that plays fast and with tenacity. Heinen does neither.
The area Heinen excels at - possession and goal prevention - is also a key part of the team philosophy, which is probably why he was here, and is still here. (Add to that he's taken 2 minor penalties and drawn 6; 13 to 26 over the last 3 years.)

Based on personnel decisions, I believe they understand very well that (over the long run) a goal prevented is more valuable than a goal scored, which is why they like Heinen and target role players like Par Lindholm coming off a 1 goal season. Especially at 5v5, while the Bruins goal scoring woes sometimes get attention, the point is to score more than the opponent, and Heinen's 5v5 on ice GF% over the past 3 years is the best of any Bruins forward with a min of 500 minutes played.

I agree it's a matter of how what kind of balance they can maintain in the lineup, and right now we have 4 LW and 2 RW and yes, are on the smaller side, but I'm betting they won't subtract any significant piece (even maybe Moore).

add - Love Kuhlman, so far he has very good 5v5 numbers to go with speed/tenacity/discipline as well.

Last edited:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
You talking about Heinen needing puck luck? I think at this point he is what he is. His shot isn't particularly impressive and he's more of a playmaker than a goalscorer. I don't think he's snakebit at all, I think he's scoring goals right around his typical pace.

Yeah maybe so, but I feel like he should have 5 or 6 more goals than he does and not because his shot sucks. I agree he is a better playmaker, and it would help him immensely if he can finally log some extended quality time with guys who can actually do something with what he gives them. He is a lot like Grizz to me in that respect where his teammates are not always alive to what he's cooking up.

Reactions: maxl7

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
The area Heinen excels at - possession and goal prevention - is also a key part of the team philosophy, which is probably why he was here, and is still here. (Add to that he's taken 2 minor penalties and drawn 6; 13 to 26 over the last 3 years.)

Based on personnel decisions, I believe they understand very well that (over the long run) a goal prevented is more valuable than a goal scored, which is why they like Heinen and target role players like Par Lindholm coming off a 1 goal season. Especially at 5v5, while the Bruins goal scoring woes sometimes get attention, the point is to score more than the opponent, and Heinen's 5v5 on ice GF% over the past 3 years is the best of any Bruins forward with a min of 500 minutes played.

I agree it's a matter of how what kind of balance they can maintain in the lineup, and right now we have 4 LW and 2 RW and yes, are on the smaller side, but I'm betting they won't subtract any significant piece (even maybe Moore).

add - Love Kuhlman, so far he has very good 5v5 numbers to go with speed/tenacity/discipline as well.
this is very fair and as "boring" as Heinen is to watch it's hard to argue with his results in terms of overall goal differential at even strength.

In fairness, Kuhlman, in limited minutes and only 24 career games actually has a better GF% than Heinen. Much smaller data set, but still. Something worth noting is that Carlo & Chara are near the top of the league when it comes to 5v5 GF%. Krejci too. You could certainly make a case that Heinen benefits some amount from playing on a strong defensive team overall with two of the best shutdown D in the league and arguably the best goalie tandem. Kuhlman probably benefits from playing with Krejci to some degree.

In general I think GF ratio is a bit iffy as a measure of individual performance and you've got to look at the context, but at the end of the day everyone is subject to the same variables so Heinen still gets some credit for helping produce some pretty good 5v5 results. I do still think his numbers would get worse if he was being used more in the top 6 and playing against better players more regularly.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Heinen > Kuhlman and it’s not that close.
Having ,Heinen , Kuhlaman and Bojrk all in you top 9 is not a Stanley cup champion team, in my opinion one should be traded with a+ for a better asset. I think when you consider all things Heinen is the one to trade.
Bojrk : my preference to keep
Heinen has more trade value than Kuhlaman and a higher cap hit

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
@RussellmaniaKW

Cap crunched team cause of who?Bruins are healthy scratching over 8 plus million per game in cap hits in Moore and Backes.SELF INFLICTED.

Reactions: Strafer and TCB

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Kuhlman is a better fit for the Bruins then Heinen, he brings energy, speed and determination, and is as good defensively as Heinen. Heinen's edge is supposed to be offense, unfortunately he no longer provides much of that while leading the league in missed empty nets.

I thought that was McAvoy :sarcasm:

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Kuhlman is a better fit for the Bruins then Heinen, he brings energy, speed and determination, and is as good defensively as Heinen. Heinen's edge is supposed to be offense, unfortunately he no longer provides much of that while leading the league in missed empty nets.

Well his edge is not offense, it is that he is a fairly elite puck possession player

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
In the last month he had 4 goals in 6 games at Providence including 2 shorties; and 4 assists in his last 5 games in Boston. He's got what it takes.
That’s awesome - when was the last time he put up 15 goals in a season at any level?

I like him but don’t think playing him on the 2nd line or counting on him for offense is the best for him or the organization.

Reactions: Lo97
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad