Proposal: All Bruins rumors/proposals: 16/17 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Changes need to be made. Most would agree on that.

What can Sweeney do?

Fire Sacco? Most would here would love it (including me) but really, can someone tell me the last time an ASSISTANT NHL coach was fired singled out and fired mid-season, and left the rest of the staff intact? I can't remember it ever happening.

Fire Claude? Personally while I disagree with his utilization of his players and his stubborness with his lines/pairings, I'm not ready to go there and I don't think Sweeney should be either.

Make a trade. Almost impossible to do in this climate. Even if Sweeney could, he's in a position of weakness and would likely over-pay. Combine that with Boston having very little room to take on any significant contracts past this season with Pastrnak's raise, etc.. Perhaps a small move is doable, but really that not what this team needs.

My proposal.

Waive/demote Jimmy Hayes, Riley Nash, Noel "No-goal" Acciari, Kevan Miller, and Anton Khudobin.

Immediately.

It's the only other thing Sweeney can do right now and is in his control.

Send a message to this team, specifically the veterans, that not producing will not be tolerated. Waiving and demoting 5 guys from the roster all at once should be a significant jolt to the rest of the group.

And take away four zero-zone players from Claude who are hurting this team more than helping, and a back-up goaltender not getting the job done. Period.

Jimmy Hayes needs no explanation.

I've said my piece on Nash multiple times. Not an NHL caliber player, simply put.

I like Acciari's effort. But to me Blidh can do his role and do it better.

Their combined output in 87 man games between Nash, Hayes, and Acciari this season is 3 goals. Not acceptable.

Boston's record since Kevan Miller returned is atrocious. 4 regulation wins in 17 games with Kevan Miller in the line-up. 7-10 overall. Many here warned that Kevan Miller's return, much like Seidenberg's a year prior, would be the start of this team reverting to it's old ways, and it's held true.

Call-up Debrusk, McIntyre, Cross and Randell.

Debrusk goes into the line-up. If they can justify giving opportunities to 1st-year pros like Heinen and Kuraly, they can do the same with Debrusk, who appears to be finding his stride. He may not be the answer, but I'd they've tried Heinen and Kuraly, they can try Debrusk while his confidence seems to be high. I was a fan of his game in pre-season, more-so than Heinen to be honest.

McIntyre gets a shot at the back-up role. I can't see him being worse than Khudobin, but we'll see.

Cross is simply a extra forward and place-holder until Liles is ready to return, same with Randell up front for Belesky. Neither's will have their development hurt by being up in Boston watching from upstairs, and both will be happy collecting an NHL paycheck.

When Belesky and Liles are back, they go back down, provided no one else is injured in the meantime.

Sweeney needs to do something to shake-up this group, and a mass demotion to me is his only realistic option.

I really like this, but unfortunately, can't see it ever happening.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
dom do you see a coacing move or a players trade soon

I'm not sure your definition of soon is the same as mine.

That said, I don't want to dismiss anything that's said nor add fuel to the fire.

If you know something hurtful and not true, don't say it.
If you know something hurtful and true, don't say it.
If you know something helpful but not true, don't say it.
If you know something helpful and true, find the right time to say it.
- Buddha -

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
It's happened in the last few years. I can't remember off the top of my head who it was, but I am positive it has happened recently.

Pretty sure the leafs did it when Carlye was still coaching there, not positive but pretty sure they let all assistant coaches go

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
It's happened in the last few years. I can't remember off the top of my head who it was, but I am positive it has happened recently.

I believe it was in 2011-12 when the habs missed the playoffs they fired one or two of their assistant coaches mid season.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Yeah, i just can't remember who but I was positive it has happened. Was just pointing it out to BruinDust because he didn't think it had.

Google is our friend though

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/canadiens-fire-assistant-coach-pearn-1.1088773

Dom, also back when Brian Lawton was busy turning the Tampa Bay Lightning from a tire fire to a forest fire, he sacked Rick Tocchet's assistant Wes Walz during the season and replaced him with the AHL coach (name escapes me, maybe Tim Taylor? But not our Tim Taylor). Tocchet refused to allow him on the bench. I think he worked from upstairs. Jeff Vinik canned both Lawton and Tocchet after the season. Tocchet has found employment again as a coach, Lawton will never see employment again in management.

It's telling that Gauthier and Lawton are two of the worst GM's in the last ten years.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
What about inquiring San Jose about Tommy Wingels? I've always liked the way he's played and it seems like he's kind of fallen out of favor there. He's recently been a healthy scratch.

Sharks posters haven't said anything bad about him really and I think he'd fit here nice. He's a feisty guy and can play center and right wing. Ideally, I think he'd mesh well on the 3rd line instead of Nash. He could slide up and down anywhere (natural center).

He may carry a heavy cap hit but he's a UFA at seasons end. He's buried 4 goals. They could be a little more interested sending him over to the East too. Seems like he could be a good Landon Ferraro esq pickup for a low draft pick or prospect.

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
I'm not sure your definition of soon is the same as mine.

That said, I don't want to dismiss anything that's said nor add fuel to the fire.

If you know something hurtful and not true, don't say it.
If you know something hurtful and true, don't say it.
If you know something helpful but not true, don't say it.
If you know something helpful and true, find the right time to say it.
- Buddha -

You refer to these quotes, you might could be a Mod, Dom! FWIW, I like it.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
This from The Fourth Period, so grain of salt...

BOSTON, MA -- It has not been a secret in Boston that since the end of last season, the Bruins have looked into moving forward Ryan Spooner for either a goal-scoring forward or a veteran defenseman.

In a season that has seen the injury bug take a bite out of the Bruins on a regular basis, Spooner has seen action in 36 of the team's 37 games. However, with the recent return of forwards David Pastrnak and Frank Vatrano from injury, TFP has learned from sources close to the situation that Spooner is expecting to be traded before the end of this season.

A trade is not yet imminent and it is unclear where trade discussions currently stand between the Bruins and other clubs. Spooner has not requested a trade.

According to those who are in the know, the handwriting is on the wall for Spooner and he knows it. It is just a matter of when will he leave Boston and whose uniform will he wear when it is all said and done.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/bos161228.html

Specific mentions of Avalanche and Islanders with possible interest.

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON

BOSTON, MA -- It has not been a secret in Boston that since the end of last season, the Bruins have looked into moving forward Ryan Spooner for either a goal-scoring forward or a veteran defenseman.

In a season that has seen the injury bug take a bite out of the Bruins on a regular basis, Spooner has seen action in 36 of the team's 37 games. However, with the recent return of forwards David Pastrnak and Frank Vatrano from injury, TFP has learned from sources close to the situation that Spooner is expecting to be traded before the end of this season.

A trade is not yet imminent and it is unclear where trade discussions currently stand between the Bruins and other clubs. Spooner has not requested a trade.

According to those who are in the know, the handwriting is on the wall for Spooner and he knows it. It is just a matter of when will he leave Boston and whose uniform will he wear when it is all said and done.

Who is it that keeps us from keeping Spooner?

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

Quote from the rest of the article:
Realistically, a player of Spooner's ilk could net a serviceable veteran, or a young, third line forward or a fifth or sixth defenseman.

Sweet just what this team needs lol

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I wonder if we could swing a deal for AJ Greer out in Colorado. Loved his game when we played them.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Again not getting the reason behind them wanting to move Spooner

Trading Spooner would be a BIG mistake. He has a lot of talent, speed, cheap and young. He needs to be put in a position to succeed or continue to be patient. This team lacks talent and we have enough of the high priced vets. There are a lot of players that I would move before Spooner. Let's see: Hayes, Belesky, McQuaid, K. Miller, Nash, Acciari, Schaller, Liles, etc.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yea with Bruins ,, Doug Houda .That pops in my head Another Sweeney blunder lol

We're talking mid-season, not off-season.

And the thus far considering the improvement on Boston's D under Cassidy (it is better than last year or the year prior), compared to Boston D under Houda (or even what Detroit's D is doing under him), the move from Houda to Cassidy looks to be a positive for the Bruins.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
We're talking mid-season, not off-season.

And the thus far considering the improvement on Boston's D under Cassidy (it is better than last year or the year prior), compared to Boston D under Houda (or even what Detroit's D is doing under him), the move from Houda to Cassidy looks to be a positive for the Bruins.

Its only Dec.Give it time.lol .I will say the penalty kill has been great.They need a top 4 d man bad though no matter who coaches..And lets be fair here to Houda. Colin Miller has another year under his belt and he never had Carlo.Either way I do not trust Don Sweeney.He makes me nervous.Cassidy probably be head coach soon.lol

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Yeah, i just can't remember who but I was positive it has happened. Was just pointing it out to BruinDust because he didn't think it had.

Google is our friend though

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/canadiens-fire-assistant-coach-pearn-1.1088773

Yep that is the one I was thinking of, although I don't think Pearn did a bad job for them, they were looking for scapegoats back them. In the case of the B's, Sacco really is not good at all and should never have been hired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad