Proposal: All Bruins rumors/proposals: 16/17 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
He is 23 And they never blame vets play in Boston.:sarcasm: Does anyone trust Sweeney not to get ripped in a trade ?

Depends on the leverage. Had had more a little while ago but this losing streak isn't helping that.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Quote from the rest of the article:
Realistically, a player of Spooner's ilk could net a serviceable veteran, or a young, third line forward or a fifth or sixth defenseman.

Sweet just what this team needs lol

Like it or not they need a solid third line, it may not be the biggest problem confronting the team but the black hole that has been the third line has cost them games this year.

No more depth defensemen please.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Trading Spooner would be a BIG mistake. He has a lot of talent, speed, cheap and young. He needs to be put in a position to succeed or continue to be patient. This team lacks talent and we have enough of the high priced vets. There are a lot of players that I would move before Spooner. Let's see: Hayes, Belesky, McQuaid, K. Miller, Nash, Acciari, Schaller, Liles, etc.

Not that I disagree, but Spooner should actually help us acquire some real assets. The rest of that list isn't going to return any quality.

Do I trust Sweeney to get the right deal done? Absolutely not at this point.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Trading Spooner would be a BIG mistake. He has a lot of talent, speed, cheap and young. He needs to be put in a position to succeed or continue to be patient. This team lacks talent and we have enough of the high priced vets. There are a lot of players that I would move before Spooner. Let's see: Hayes, Belesky, McQuaid, K. Miller, Nash, Acciari, Schaller, Liles, etc.

What makes you think other team want the guys on your list. They're not good for us but other teams want them? You can't get what you want unless you trade with value.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Couple things about the people you mention. Let's start with K.Miller, not a good player and an awful signing but he was signed this off season, if you trade, or worse designate him to Providence, how many free agent do you think would be lining up to sign in Boston if the money was the same as other locations? Belesky kind of falls into the same category and while he is having a rough season I think there is still a very solid third line winger there who can fill in with he top two lines when needed. Nobody is going to give you anything for Jimmy Hayes, nobody. Nash is a Julien failure, he's a fine 4th line/pk player who's good in shoot outs but getting far too much ice time from Julien because he is good defensively , if used properly he still has value. Acciari has little value. Remember you need players to be eligible for the expansion draft as well. None of the players you mention bring the return Spooner does, sadly Sweeney would be selling low if he traded him now after Claude has destroyed his trade value.

I agree with you that the players you mention should be moved before Spooner (except McQuaid) but as long as Claude is coach Spooner won't succeed here, and I just don't see Claude going anywhere.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I may be wrong but personally I think Claude will be gone within the next 12 - 18 months. Perhaps not outright fired as much as reassigned duties elsewhere in the organization. Assuming he doesn't want to continue coaching somewhere.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I may be wrong but personally I think Claude will be gone within the next 12 - 18 months. Perhaps not outright fired as much as reassigned duties elsewhere in the organization. Assuming he doesn't want to continue coaching somewhere.

Given his marketability throughout the league as a coach, he'd be flat out crazy to not continue coaching after Boston. Babcock-like figures are not out of the realm of possibility for Julien.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
It's almost funny during the World Junior Championships how many times the commentators (more than one of them) used the term "The Claude Julien Method" (or system).

And it was suggested in a very complimentary manner.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It's almost funny during the World Junior Championships how many times the commentators (more than one of them) used the term "The Claude Julien Method" (or system).

And it was suggested in a very complimentary manner.

I heard McKenzie say it the other day, I think in reference to Team Canada and coming up the ice in "blocks" (5-man units) calling it "Claude Julien hockey".

As much as some of us (myself included) don't agree with Julien, I think sometimes we underrate how respected he is within the global hockey community.

I think he's considered right up there with the likes of Babcock and Quenville as a few of the most respected hockey minds in the game.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH

Given his marketability throughout the league as a coach, he'd be flat out crazy to not continue coaching after Boston. Babcock-like figures are not out of the realm of possibility for Julien.

I expect him to go within the month of January.........Vegas still needs a coach and he would fit perfectly.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I heard McKenzie say it the other day, I think in reference to Team Canada and coming up the ice in "blocks" (5-man units) calling it "Claude Julien hockey".

As much as some of us (myself included) don't agree with Julien, I think sometimes we underrate how respected he is within the global hockey community.

I think he's considered right up there with the likes of Babcock and Quenville as a few of the most respected hockey minds in the game.

Bobby Mac wasn't the only one.

I never let personal feelings affect my judgement. And I don't think I've ever said here, or anywhere, what my feelings are of Julien.

But I will say this, with the number of young players about to come up to Boston in the next few years, there are three coaches I would have confidence in getting them to the top of their potential, Babcock, Quenneville and Julien, and not necessarily in that order.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Loui Ericsson missing Claude Julien Hockey. Broke a 12 game goalless streak last night giving him 8 on the year

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I expect him to go within the month of January.........Vegas still needs a coach and he would fit perfectly.
Julien is under a long term contract to the Bruins. He cannot coach another team without the acquiescence of his employer.

I expect Gerard Gallant to fill that Golden Knights honcho role.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Julien is under a long term contract to the Bruins. He cannot coach another team without the acquiescence of his employer.

I expect Gerard Gallant to fill that Golden Knights honcho role.

Same with Gallant. He is under contract until the end of the 2018-2019 season. Both he and Tallon signed a 3 year extension on January 2016.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

I never let personal feelings affect my judgement. And I don't think I've ever said here, or anywhere, what my feelings are of Julien.

But I will say this, with the number of young players about to come up to Boston in the next few years, there are three coaches I would have confidence in getting them to the top of their potential, Babcock, Quenneville and Julien, and not necessarily in that order.

Thanks for posting this.

I still really like our coach. Some forget how bad it was before coach Julien.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Felger railed on him yesterday for having an unprepared team but the response was great.

The guy is my age and has 3 kids under 12 he understands young people he's just looking for responsible players

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for posting this.

I still really like our coach. Some forget how bad it was before coach Julien.

I do too, he's a great coach, I get the feeling that the Bruins would be much worse off without him. Of course their are other great coaches but I think they are all employed or still working their way into the public's view.

I remember what it was like having Dave Lewis as a coach or Mike Keenan or Steve Kasper. I am actually not sure how many coaches the Bruins have had who were as good as Julien. We are long past the days of letting the players go out and just play.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Same with Gallant. He is under contract until the end of the 2018-2019 season. Both he and Tallon signed a 3 year extension on January 2016.
Not really the same. Though still under contract, Gallant has been relieved of his head coaching duties. I can't see Tallon or Viola standing in the way if Vegas comes calling.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Not really the same. Though still under contract, Gallant has been relieved of his head coaching duties. I can't see Tallon or Viola standing in the way if Vegas comes calling.

The hypothetical was if Julien got fired, so it is exactly the same situation.

You don't think that if an expansion team - one in the western conference asked JJ if they could hire Julien, and he could get the remainder of his contract off the books, that JJ wouldn't give a "hell ya"?

I bet JJ wouldn't have to think about that for a split second.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC

If Julien gets canned and another team wants to hire him would the B's still be on the hook for the rest of Julien's original contract?

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

You don't think that if an expansion team - one in the western conference asked JJ if they could hire Julien, and he could get the remainder of his contract off the books, that JJ wouldn't give a "hell ya"?

I don't know. At this point JJ is a lot older now. Kids are taking over. Clodes contract is peanuts to the corporation.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC

I think if Sweeney/Neely blocked a move that would save Mr. Burns that much money they'd be going out the door right behind Claude

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I would cut some slack if Julien's team isn't always ready to play out of the gate. If it's every game and he's clearly lost the locker room that's for management to decided.
But, firing a coach over a few bad starts here and there, when your roster is already pretty bad, doesn't make sense to me.

Like one poster said, we have two 4th lines, and we have atleast 3 bottom pairing (at best) defenders starting every night. I would put my money on Julien to get the most out of that **** roster over the course of a season.

The goal is to make the playoffs, no doubt. When missing the playoffs is a recurring thing is it the management's fault or the coaches? Tough to tell. Is the average roster or the coach to blame for the end of season collapses? Maybe a little of both. But firing a great coach when your roster is sub par to begin with seems counter productive. When the time comes that our roster is a contender again, Julien would be gone, and we'd be wishing we had a better coach.

Firing your great coach for a replacement who on the short term could maybe squeeze an extra 10% out of your mediocre team, versus staying with your hall of fame coach and work it out for the long haul.

Management needs to decide if it's the coach or the roster. If a new coach got us to the playoffs that would be great, right? Woohoo! But then what if management doesn't want to adjust the roster because we made the playoffs? And long term they don't think they need to change much at all, meanwhile our team float in bubble playoff land for the next 5 years. Or maybe management can realize even your HoF coach can't get this mediocre roster to the playoffs and will do something about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad