Proposal: All Bruins rumors/proposals: 16/17 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
If I'm the coach, the key to fixing the offense and bolstering the line up is slotting a healthy vatrano back in and having backes center the third line... gives you far more depth and solidifies three scoring lines. You can tell watching Backes play that he wants/needs to be a center man.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
You can't seriously expect the kid to slot in there?

Did you expect Carlo to slot in there before training camp? Will have to wait and see won't we. Novel concept :naughty:

Alot to ask.You are suggesting McAvoy will step right into NHL as a top pair guy. I have my doubts but to be fair have not saw him enough.The World Juniors should give us a good idea. If he cannot dominate there we should have our answer.And thats not to say he will not be top pairing eventually.I just have my doubts as fast as you think.Hope your right though.:).

Did you expect Carlo to slot in there before training camp? Will have to wait and see won't we. Novel concept :naughty:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
history shows us many many many many kids are played with the best partner when breaking into the nhl... its not to say these kids are the second best dman on the team but rather that they benefit from having a great partner

usually in these situations the kid gets 17-18 mins of icetime while the other guy gets 23-25 mins of icetime so obviously the other guy is also playing with other partners during important times of the game

the kid might spend a quarter or more of his time also playing with other partners on nights hes struggling... or when game conditions dictate its the best solution.

we saw kids like McLaren and wesly and kluzak get skated with bourque when they were starting out... saw bourque partnered with park...

here in Edmonton nurse was being used on the first pairing quite a lot his rookie season and has since spent most of his time on the 3rd pairing

its just a strategy many teams employ to put their best kid with a strong partner that can help him break into the nhl

personally... I leave carlo with chara. I probably skate mcavoy with krug. not that krug is a strong partner but krug is the guy we are playing 5 million to on a long term deal. you cant have krug as a 3rd pairing guy moving forward

give carlo 2 years to benefit from chara's example and leadership and then hope everything goes great and carlo is ready to pave the road for zboril and lazron and the other kids when they arrive at the show.

{my plan would be to resign chara to a retirement plan chris chelious type series of contracts for as long as chara wants to stick around... and pretty much use chara in the 3rd pairing until he decides to hang up the skates... so he might still be the guy to break in zboril and lazron himself}

of course I'm leaving out several other guys that have a very good chance of winning a spot and knocking one of the named kids out of the picture... but the overall plan remains the same imho. keep carlo with chara and let the imprinting really bond solid. put mcavoy with krug and cross your fingers you didn't make a HUGE mistake giving krug the big money long term. move mcquaid and his contract... let kevan miller be the anchor for the 3rd pair until chara replaces him in that role... give cmillar and morrow chances to play until whatever kid replaces them on the depth chart.

to me this looks like a very promising future over the next 2-3 years for the defense and potentially even better after that if some of the kids pan out like carlo did.

Except that Carlo is the big defensive D partner (that can also skate) that would be perfect for Krug (who IS a strong partner in many aspects) because of his lack of size. If McAvoy makes the team, which I think he will, put him with the better defensive guy in Chara. Carlo will be a year older and more experienced and would be great with Krug IMO.

FONZIE

AYYYYYY!!!!
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Moved to Wisconsin
Except that Carlo is the big defensive D partner (that can also skate) that would be perfect for Krug (who IS a strong partner in many aspects) because of his lack of size. If McAvoy makes the team, which I think he will, put him with the better defensive guy in Chara. Carlo will be a year older and more experienced and would be great with Krug IMO.
We'll just have to see if that works. Carlo is the first player to really gel with Chara since Boychuk.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Should bruins lose back to back to sabres something has to give.

It doesn't, JJ likes Julien and I can't see him getting fired during the season or JJ eating a coaches contract. Claude will be here at least until the off season and I can only see him getting fired then if they don't make the playoffs. I don't like this but I just can't see JJ allowing them to do anything with Julien.

Maybe a very minor trade but I have a fear that Sweeney will have built in excuses with the expansion draft claiming he couldn't move a player and meet the requirements for the draft.

Expect Heinen to get called back up and maybe the biggest move being McIntyre becoming the back up. They won't expose Dobby to waivers because of the expansion draft and they need him to meet the goalie requirement so they will carry three goalies, which might not be too bad, rest Rask instead of practicing him and have the backups fight for playing time.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
I had a dream last night, and I mean a real dream, in which the Bs traded Zane McIntyre and one other piece to the Stars for Denis Guryanov.

Pretty weird. Maybe it had to do with the russian kid plastering a Habs prospect that got it all started. I don't know. :laugh:

Just wanted to share that.

Back to regular programming. :popcorn:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Haggs expects "something" to be done if they lose to the Sabres.

:popcorn:

It's the depth of his reporting that makes him the greatest reporter to ever live, just ask him. I bet sources told him this (Jimmy Murphy) and they heard it from a reliable source (Eklund)

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
It's the depth of his reporting that makes him the greatest reporter to ever live, just ask him. I bet sources told him this (Jimmy Murphy) and they heard it from a reliable source (Eklund)

Its like he waits for these almost safe bet predictions... And almost always still ends up on the side of being wrong.

Like Im pretty sure we're all on the same page of expecting something to be done to the team/within the organization if they lose to Buffalo or worse, back to back.

Doesnt mean its going to happen. Nor is their legitimate evidence that something may happen. :shakehead

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Its like he waits for these almost safe bet predictions... And almost always still ends up on the side of being wrong.

Like Im pretty sure we're all on the same page of expecting something to be done to the team/within the organization if they lose to Buffalo or worse, back to back.

Doesnt mean its going to happen. Nor is their legitimate evidence that something may happen. :shakehead

The unbelievable thing is that anyone, any media outlet (CSN) would pay him to to the lousy job that he does.:shakehead There has to be someone out there who can do a better job. FFS, I can think of a few people here who could (Dom) to start!:nod:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
The unbelievable thing is that anyone, any media outlet (CSN) would pay him to to the lousy job that he does.:shakehead There has to be someone out there who can do a better job. FFS, I can think of a few people here who could (Dom) to start!:nod:

You know the funny thing Strafer? If I got paid to do it, it probably wouldn't be fun anymore. The best part of this is doing what I want to do, how I want to do it, and not have to answer to anyone.

I was made a pretty decent offer yesterday. Turned it down. Not the first time and certainly won't be the last.

I'm sure I'm in the very small minority here,but I like and respect Haggs. Yeah sometimes what he says is the obvious, but he has to make money for CSN, and not everyone that reads is a die-hard fan like we are, so what may be obvious to us, isn't always obvious to all his readers.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
You know the funny thing Strafer? If I got paid to do it, it probably wouldn't be fun anymore. The best part of this is doing what I want to do, how I want to do it, and not have to answer to anyone.

I was made a pretty decent offer yesterday. Turned it down. Not the first time and certainly won't be the last.

I'm sure I'm in the very small minority here,but I like and respect Haggs. Yeah sometimes what he says is the obvious, but he has to make money for CSN, and not everyone that reads is a die-hard fan like we are, so what may be obvious to us, isn't always obvious to all his readers.

Thats a fair point Dom. I never really looked at it that way. It IS his job and he does need to keep things running in order to have his job.

I dont dislike Haggs. It was just an observation I have made. I still follow him on twitter and somewhat regularly read his pieces.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

You'd be surprised with the amount of Bruins fans that aren't on this board who think there is no way Claude is fired no matter what happens because he won us a Cup in 2011.

I asked a question on another board what people thought could happen to Claude if the Bruins keep losing and they lost their mind at the thought of him being fired.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
You'd be surprised with the amount of Bruins fans that aren't on this board who think there is no way Claude is fired no matter what happens because he won us a Cup in 2011.

I asked a question on another board what people thought could happen to Claude if the Bruins keep losing and they lost their mind at the thought of him being fired.

Not sure I would say Claude is the reason we lose though. Before, this whole site hated when he didn't play the kids. Now Carlo is getting top line minutes, Czarnik is being given fair minutes and Vatrano is/will be. This team that we were all worried about pre-season is still that team (plus some AHL call-ups) and despite having won some games, this is the type of season a lot of us expected to have given the line-up. If I'm looking for a reason why we are losing, I'm honestly not looking at Claude.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Changes need to be made. Most would agree on that.

What can Sweeney do?

Fire Sacco? Most would here would love it (including me) but really, can someone tell me the last time an ASSISTANT NHL coach was fired singled out and fired mid-season, and left the rest of the staff intact? I can't remember it ever happening.

Fire Claude? Personally while I disagree with his utilization of his players and his stubborness with his lines/pairings, I'm not ready to go there and I don't think Sweeney should be either.

Make a trade. Almost impossible to do in this climate. Even if Sweeney could, he's in a position of weakness and would likely over-pay. Combine that with Boston having very little room to take on any significant contracts past this season with Pastrnak's raise, etc.. Perhaps a small move is doable, but really that not what this team needs.

My proposal.

Waive/demote Jimmy Hayes, Riley Nash, Noel "No-goal" Acciari, Kevan Miller, and Anton Khudobin.

Immediately.

It's the only other thing Sweeney can do right now and is in his control.

Send a message to this team, specifically the veterans, that not producing will not be tolerated. Waiving and demoting 5 guys from the roster all at once should be a significant jolt to the rest of the group.

And take away four zero-zone players from Claude who are hurting this team more than helping, and a back-up goaltender not getting the job done. Period.

Jimmy Hayes needs no explanation.

I've said my piece on Nash multiple times. Not an NHL caliber player, simply put.

I like Acciari's effort. But to me Blidh can do his role and do it better.

Their combined output in 87 man games between Nash, Hayes, and Acciari this season is 3 goals. Not acceptable.

Boston's record since Kevan Miller returned is atrocious. 4 regulation wins in 17 games with Kevan Miller in the line-up. 7-10 overall. Many here warned that Kevan Miller's return, much like Seidenberg's a year prior, would be the start of this team reverting to it's old ways, and it's held true.

Call-up Debrusk, McIntyre, Cross and Randell.

Debrusk goes into the line-up. If they can justify giving opportunities to 1st-year pros like Heinen and Kuraly, they can do the same with Debrusk, who appears to be finding his stride. He may not be the answer, but I'd they've tried Heinen and Kuraly, they can try Debrusk while his confidence seems to be high. I was a fan of his game in pre-season, more-so than Heinen to be honest.

McIntyre gets a shot at the back-up role. I can't see him being worse than Khudobin, but we'll see.

Cross is simply a extra forward and place-holder until Liles is ready to return, same with Randell up front for Belesky. Neither's will have their development hurt by being up in Boston watching from upstairs, and both will be happy collecting an NHL paycheck.

When Belesky and Liles are back, they go back down, provided no one else is injured in the meantime.

Sweeney needs to do something to shake-up this group, and a mass demotion to me is his only realistic option.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
Not sure I would say Claude is the reason we lose though. Before, this whole site hated when he didn't play the kids. Now Carlo is getting top line minutes, Czarnik is being given fair minutes and Vatrano is/will be. This team that we were all worried about pre-season is still that team (plus some AHL call-ups) and despite having won some games, this is the type of season a lot of us expected to have given the line-up. If I'm looking for a reason why we are losing, I'm honestly not looking at Claude.

You have to realize though that the amount of young guys in the lineup are there for the same reason Spooner played - no other choice. Just look at the fact that Hayes is a regular and that tells you all you need to know. Saying Clode is not to blame is slightly inaccurate!
The team continuously make the same mistakes, vets are not held accountable for not showing up, Rask continues to handle the puck !
Knowbody takes the man in front of the net but continues to fish for pucks they never win!
Spooner is playing out of position and is scared to death of contact!
These are on the coach!

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Changes need to be made. Most would agree on that.

What can Sweeney do?

Fire Sacco? Most would here would love it (including me) but really, can someone tell me the last time an ASSISTANT NHL coach was fired singled out and fired mid-season, and left the rest of the staff intact? I can't remember it ever happening.

Fire Claude? Personally while I disagree with his utilization of his players and his stubborness with his lines/pairings, I'm not ready to go there and I don't think Sweeney should be either.

Make a trade. Almost impossible to do in this climate. Even if Sweeney could, he's in a position of weakness and would likely over-pay. Combine that with Boston having very little room to take on any significant contracts past this season with Pastrnak's raise, etc.. Perhaps a small move is doable, but really that not what this team needs.

My proposal.

Waive/demote Jimmy Hayes, Riley Nash, Noel "No-goal" Acciari, Kevan Miller, and Anton Khudobin.

Immediately.

It's the only other thing Sweeney can do right now and is in his control.

Send a message to this team, specifically the veterans, that not producing will not be tolerated. Waiving and demoting 5 guys from the roster all at once should be a significant jolt to the rest of the group.

And take away four zero-zone players from Claude who are hurting this team more than helping, and a back-up goaltender not getting the job done. Period.

Jimmy Hayes needs no explanation.

I've said my piece on Nash multiple times. Not an NHL caliber player, simply put.

I like Acciari's effort. But to me Blidh can do his role and do it better.

Their combined output in 87 man games between Nash, Hayes, and Acciari this season is 3 goals. Not acceptable.

Boston's record since Kevan Miller returned is atrocious. 4 regulation wins in 17 games with Kevan Miller in the line-up. 7-10 overall. Many here warned that Kevan Miller's return, much like Seidenberg's a year prior, would be the start of this team reverting to it's old ways, and it's held true.

Call-up Debrusk, McIntyre, Cross and Randell.

Debrusk goes into the line-up. If they can justify giving opportunities to 1st-year pros like Heinen and Kuraly, they can do the same with Debrusk, who appears to be finding his stride. He may not be the answer, but I'd they've tried Heinen and Kuraly, they can try Debrusk while his confidence seems to be high. I was a fan of his game in pre-season, more-so than Heinen to be honest.

McIntyre gets a shot at the back-up role. I can't see him being worse than Khudobin, but we'll see.

Cross is simply a extra forward and place-holder until Liles is ready to return, same with Randell up front for Belesky. Neither's will have their development hurt by being up in Boston watching from upstairs, and both will be happy collecting an NHL paycheck.

When Belesky and Liles are back, they go back down, provided no one else is injured in the meantime.

Sweeney needs to do something to shake-up this group, and a mass demotion to me is his only realistic option.

Great Analysis I can see Sacco getting sacked soon, maybe Oates can fix the PP, can't be any worse.

Acciari to me is a good AHL and fill in type. Hayes is garbage and Nash is trash, get these two gone for whatever we can get 7th round picks. Khudobin not getting it done and although I do not like K Miller he may have some value to other teams, maybe package K miller, Khudobin and Nash to NYI for Greiss?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Great Analysis I can see Sacco getting sacked soon, maybe Oates can fix the PP, can't be any worse.

Acciari to me is a good AHL and fill in type. Hayes is garbage and Nash is trash, get these two gone for whatever we can get 7th round picks. Khudobin not getting it done and although I do not like K Miller he may have some value to other teams, maybe package K miller, Khudobin and Nash to NYI for Greiss?

Ideally you try to deal all of these guys and get some value back before going forward with waiving and demoting, but I don't think this team has 2-3 weeks to try and hammer out deals on these guys.

Sacco like I said doubtful an assistant coach gets canned mid-season by himself. Just doesn't happen to my knowledge.

Now mass demotions don't happen often either. But Sweeney did kind of do it at last years deadline with Rinaldo/Kemppainen/Talbot being demoted. The purpose wasn't the same, this would be partially to send a message to the rest of the group by removing 5 people from that room in one fell swoop. It might upset some of the existing/remaining group, but if it upsets them enough to play better, mission accomplished.

This team has 4 regulations win in it's last 19 games. Something has to be done. This season might be lost if Sweeney is waiting to find a trading partner to shake up this group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad