Proposal: All Bruins rumors/proposals: 16/17 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Excellent post. I would not mind keeping McQuaid over Kevan but as a 3rd pairing PK guy. I was shocked Sweeney resigned Kevan. Keep Liles as an extra, run Morrow and Chiller in the rotation. I agree Spooners value has been squandered, he could be a poor mans Skinner, RNH type of player in any other system. Now his value is like Cody Hodgson. All the people pining for Barzal as a pick we missed out, just look at what happened to Koko and Spooner. It would be the same scenario, another offensive smallish center not great in his own end. Krech is the only guy that is slight of size and creative that is trusted. Claude still rolls Bergy as the top center, because he is defensive. Backes should center the 3rd line or even take the top spot.

I am watching the Spengler cup and Campbell is playing decent. I could see him coming back on the cheap. I would not like that but it would not surprise me at all. Mason Raymond is the best forward for Team Canada and is a free agent. Raymond could take Spooners spot as he is a real LW. A combo of Kevan, Hayes, Spooner, a pick and prospect can maybe get us a decent dee or a good RW.

-Backes at center on the 3rd, should have been done a long time ago. (Although Martin Hanzal could do the same job at half the price, younger and bigger)
-Move Spooner/package for a dee or a good RW
-Raymond for cheap to replace Spooner as a real LW with speed and good hands
-Dee will have to wait for the deadline or next year

Maybe they will be sellers if they are out of the playoff picture. I am not opposed to moving some unmentionables. Teams may come asking about Krech, Bergy or Chara for the playoff push. If it makes the team stronger and younger worth a listen. Leafs did it and got Matthews and are 3 pts behind us with 3 games in hand with basically an AHL roster. I say it worked out pretty damm good for them.

If the Leafs are running an AHL roster is what the Bruins running any better? Especially considering this "AHL roster" came into Boston a month ago and handled the Bruins quite easily from the start of the 2nd period onward.

Because I see a pile of AHL talent on this Bruins team. Moreso than Toronto has.

That being said, I think your underrating the Leafs roster with this comment.

If Sweeney brings back Campbell he should be fired.

An interesting take on the removal of Campbell (and Campbell-types) and the success of CBJ in the 1st half of this season.

"For the Blue Jackets, that light bulb moment came when they realized they were essentially throwing away shifts whenever they were using the likes of Jared Boll and Gregory Campbell as part of their fourth line. Without much actual on-ice utility, their main selling point was that they looked the part of what we’ve been told those types of players should be (grinders or face-punchers).

Which is why it’s somewhat ironic that a modern day fourth liner like Gagner is far more likely to actually swing the outcome or change the momentum of a game with a goal than a player like Boll ever would’ve been able to with a big hit or fight."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/columbus-blue-jackets-case-study-modern-player-usage/

Bruins need to take a page out of this approach.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
If the Leafs are running an AHL roster is what the Bruins running any better? Especially considering this "AHL roster" came into Boston a month ago and handled the Bruins quite easily from the start of the 2nd period onward.

Because I see a pile of AHL talent on this Bruins team. Moreso than Toronto has.

That being said, I think your underrating the Leafs roster with this comment.

If Sweeney brings back Campbell he should be fired.

An interesting take on the removal of Campbell (and Campbell-types) and the success of CBJ in the 1st half of this season.

"For the Blue Jackets, that light bulb moment came when they realized they were essentially throwing away shifts whenever they were using the likes of Jared Boll and Gregory Campbell as part of their fourth line. Without much actual on-ice utility, their main selling point was that they looked the part of what we’ve been told those types of players should be (grinders or face-punchers).

Which is why it’s somewhat ironic that a modern day fourth liner like Gagner is far more likely to actually swing the outcome or change the momentum of a game with a goal than a player like Boll ever would’ve been able to with a big hit or fight."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/columbus-blue-jackets-case-study-modern-player-usage/

Bruins need to take a page out of this approach.

They have been trying all season. It's up to the players to perform and execute. The 4th line this year has been much better this year. When the Bruins were playing well, Schaller, Moore, and Acciari/Nash were doing a good job of cycling, creating chances, being physical, etc etc. Things changed when the other lines weren't scoring or being sloppy with defensive zone coverage. Nash was bumped up to babysit the kids on the third line. Schaeller was placed as a winger on Krejci's line because Spooner wasn't cutting it. Acciari was injured. A 15 goal/30 point player in Hayes suddenly forgot how to play hockey.

The problem hasn't been the 4th line or even the third line ( which has looked good with Czarnik at center ), it's been with the other lines not producing. Marchand/Bergeron going cold in terms of producing is the biggest problem on this team right now.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Dom my previous post about changes soon meant before feb

I won't speculate, just not my style. I do have my own opinions, but I will keep that to myself. Everyone has their own opinion and I know there is no point in bringing it up because it's hard (near impossible) to change one's mind. And of course, there are those that refuse to even consider your opinion.

As for the Bruins, anything I ever get always comes from "the other team". Of course, there is the odd tidbit that comes from within and that comes from someone who is close to someone on the inside and told to me in confidence. I value that relationship far more than "spreading the word" so.....

I'm going to use a Shattenkirk example here:

You know, I was the first to break the Shattenkirk news, long before anyone else. And when media caught onto it, it became a running story, even up to last week. Mid July I told you guys, no, not happening,Blues aren't moving him, yet media keeps talking about it.

Why?

Because the need to sell papers, get clicks, whatever. I once had an editor who kept reminding me "controversy sells, even if the controversy is made up".

So, don't believe everything you read.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
take a look at the names, compare them to Bergeron, Chara, Rask, Marchand, Krech, Backes, Pastrnak, Krug

https://www.nhl.com/mapleleafs/roster/

Leafs top Centre-Tyler Bozak would not make it on any contender in the top 9
top winger JVR, legit talent
other vets are Komarov and Kadri at 26
top dee Morgan Reilly, not much else
rest of the team is either AHL calibre or rookies they got from a plan and are good
it is amazing what Babcock and they have done so far and what he has to work with

If only hockey games were won with "Name value"

Bozak not a top 3 line forward on a contender? So he's a 4th line player now?

Babcock has done a solid job. Not taking anything away from him.

But despite the Leafs not having the "name value" of the Bruins you listed, they can still ice a decent team. Not a contender, but far better than your giving them credit for.

So what if he's working with rookies? If I had to place money on where each team will end up in the standings, right now I'd put money on the Leafs finishing ahead of Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad