Rumor: All about Alex DeBrincat -possible trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
These are our cap commitments for the year 24/25.

View attachment 721926

Stop being dramatic and take a second to look at our actual cap situation.
This is what I don't understand why people complain about OUR cap situation if we take on 8x8.5. I mean yeah we all prefer to get him on a 8x6 but be realistic.

Our cap management is probably one of the best in the league when you factor in talent in the pipeline, talent on the roster that is very young. Then, we have all that room in 24-25 WHEN THE CAP IS SUPPOSED TO BE AROUND 90 MIL.

Plenty of room for raymond to get an 8x8 (of which i don't think he gets. I would see a more of a bridge like 3x6 tbh), seider to get his 8x8.5 or 9. We also will be shedding perron off the roster by then (hopefully), we will have a defense core that is projected to be elite, fabbri is in his last year of his deal and i don't think he gets resigned (only because of his knees, i love his game when he's playing unfortunately). Just with perron and fabbri alone, thats almost 10 mil in space. Find a way to trade chiarot to relieve another almost 5 mil with two years left (if traded next summer) to open up a rookie roster spot or a better defensive signing, and we are going to be so golden I cant stand it! Not to mention isn't vrana and abby off the books then too? Or is that abby's last mil with us?

All of this is to say we also have a GM that cares about the cap management strategy. He isn't overpaying people unless at that moment it's necessary (chiarot). He doesn't want to do 7-8 year long-term deals for non-core players. He is doing exactly what he said he was going to do. He wants us to thrive for a very long time, consistently, and I think it is a good guess that the window starts next year (only if we get debrincat and maybe another top 6...and obviously fill the RD hole with a semi-to-good defensemen).

P.s. I mean come on...chicago could use chiarot right now couldn't they? They need the cap, they need another vet...honestly that would be amazing but I don't see that happening this year, quite unfortunate.

• Love
Reactions: PelagicJoe

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
4 guys of the list were hurt by injuries you can't predict. It did mostly hurt on their ttrade value, so we didn't get anything back Howard, Green, Ericsson or DeKeyser.

I think only Abdelkader and Nielsen were signed when not really needed. But they completed the TANK Holland wanted. It was sold for dying Mike Ilitch how "yeah, yeah, we are still on the fight."

Those were huge moves to secure the team on the bottom, when the meaningful wheels did finally loose off (Dats, Z, Kron retiring). Still it didn't get us to high picks.

A pity.

They were but Holland, imo, was for sure trying to win. The offseason he did sign Nielson/Helm to big contracts, when compared to others signed in that historically bad offseason('16), weren't THAT bad.

Stamkos was supposed to be the guy, but like always 8.5 was too much for SOME reason... Hindsight's easy but you could of paid him 9.5 million and it'd of worked out better than signing Nielson/Helm/Vanek like they did that offseason.

Circle's back to I don't understand why people don't like paying the best players top money, but can wrap their minds around moves like those three which cost more than the one really good player who's time on the ice is more impactful than all three of those players put together.

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
If the Boston pick next year remains as well. I hope that is used in a trade at some point in the future.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Ras to me has the look of a guy who will share some of the same features of Tkachuk in the playoffs. He's not going to score a bunch of game winners or massive moment goals, but just be a physical presence, shit stirring guy that brings life to the team when they need a spark.

Also, would not be shocked if he did bang in a couple of timely rebound goals. He's a guy who seems to really play better when his intensity is higher and what better situation for high intensity than in the playoffs.
Honestly, we have the make-up right now for a team that could do well in the playoffs if you really think about it and find correlations with previous long playoff teams.

Rasmussen - as long as he continues from last year, he has the grit and front of net toughness
Larkin - plenty of stuff to say but i'm sure we all must know by now
Seider - I seriously cannot wait to see him in a playoff format
Debrincat - if traded, but he would be the goal scorer
soderblom - If he adds toughness and doesn't act like ericsson out there, he could be dominant
kubalik - has toughness, is big, and can shoot when given the opportunity
chiarot - yeah we may not like him, but 90% of his penalty calls, don't get called in the playoffs
walman - offensive D from the back-end
Copp - plenty of experience to bring to the table
Raymond - can play gritty and seems to be annoying to the opposition once in awhile (sam bennet?)

The problem is, we just can't get into the fuc*in playoffs. Whoever our first round opponent is this coming year, I think we at least give them problems and that is truly all i am looking for this year. Seider/Larkin/Raymond/Walman and all of the youngsters on the roster need to feel what it is like in that atmosphere. Once you get a taste, it is hard to get it out of your mouth to forget. That taste is what gets you there the next year in a much easier scenario (not barely making it but essentially being in the playoffs at least 2-3 weeks out unless you implode).

Gotta get that taste!

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
There's zero doubt he'd be a great fit, the question is all about the price to acquire him and sign him to a new deal. Two firsts and a deal that rivals Larkin's seems too rich to me but we will see what Steve Yzerman thinks is fair. I will not complain if he walks away, the terms of the trade being promoted seem excessive.
That rumor you are referring to was from a non-credible source. Wouldn't believe it for a minute.

I doubt they will be able to get two firsts for a player who is only available because of a price the team that currently has him does not want to pay and is only under contract for 1 more year. But we will see.

Not totally counting on adding the player despite the rumors, just trying to remind people this is a good player and would be a good get for us. He can do some things better than anyone we have on the team currently.
not to mention he could help raymond because they could be the same type of player with hands and shooting ability. Raymond is only 21 and can shoot decently now, hopefully we could have someone like debrincat show him a thing or 2 to elevate his game.

Next thing you know we got 3 30 goals scorers on the team! (adding larkin because i can)

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario

raw

17 is safe.

Last edited:

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Wonder if it will get done today. 🤔
I strongly believe it'll be during the draft. I think there are a lot of trades that are essentially done at this point, but they want to make the draft crazy this year. Literally no sourcing to prove this, just gut.
People who were damaged by Howard are morons. Howard's contract was never bad and frankly he fell apart because the Wings dicked around with him and with Mrazek. Howard kept hurting himself because he didn't want to lose his position by being injured. Wings needed to sit the both of them down and make a decision one way or another.

By not doing so, they let Mrazek's head get frickin huge and he thought he was better than he was and they completely shot all confidence out of Howard's head. Howard was actually fine until they brought up Mrazek and the two mixed like oil and water.
And it didn't help that he kept getting those groin pulls. I've had those, you second guess every movement you make, especially when you get it more than once. Even more especially when the one position on the ice you cannot have a true groin problem is goalie. Other positions can deal with it to some capacity, but the goalie has to make splits and crazy plays. Sucks.

And I truly believe that Howard could have been a cup winning goalie. I think he was good enough. He probably wouldn't have been the reason why we won or anything, but he would have done enough for us.
Whenever rumors pop, I generally have few assumptions around all of them:

Yzerman, and by extension his staff that would be in the know, don't ever say anything. Ever. And much of this is generally predicated on the fact any time we've made a trade, it's always been like "OMG! Where did that come from?!" (see: Mantha, Bertuzzi, Hronek, Nedeljkovic, Fabbri, Isle Leddy). And the times where we had made trades that everyone knew about (STL Leddy, Vrana), it was something that we all kind of knew was going to happen.

So when I see something like Detroit Sports Nation, or any general local group without national level contacts, I don't believe it because they would need to know something inside the Wings org, and I just don't believe that group talks to anyone.

That being said, when I see rumors surface from another market beat writer, or a national level insider, I do give that more credibility because not all orgs run like DET. So OTT market or Servalli, Friedman, etc. reporting things they are hearing about the Wings, I suspect they get that from the potential orgs we are talking to, not Detroit directly. Like hearing that the Wings were/are in on PLD from Servalli, I assume that's from the WPG or PLD side, not from Stevie.

What I did find interesting from the last 32 Thoughts Pod, certainly about DBC and Yzerman's concern about term, was the anecdotes about Steve's negotiation style (which we all kind of new), that at some point, he basically does some back and forth but ultimately sets the offer for the player and it becomes a "take it or leave it" situation and doesn't really move from it.

All of that to say, I do think there is serious talks or had serious talks about DBC and that Steve gave his offer and has left the table and is awaiting for response from Dorian. And much of the "talking to all these other teams" and "get 2x 1st for him" whatever, is all trying to see if the Detroit offer can be beat or if Yzerman can be compelled to increase it.

Whatever it is, I think the deal is on the table and it's on the Sens to accept or not at this point.
I agree, same as you, I think Yzerman has said what he is willing to do and is leaving it up to OTT. The problem with that for OTT is, there really isn't any other suitor out there because of cap, where he will extend, and his 1 year deal he would get with the other team.

He wants star player money, even if it is on a 1 year deal. So that knocks out A LOT of teams, especially ones that don't want to tank/are fringe playoff teams. Yes, some teams could go and get him that was on the list like Florida and Dallas, but the problem with those teams is they would have to move players back to OTT and I am not sure if those players would work for OTT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad