Rumor: All about Alex DeBrincat -possible trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Yzerman has preached "core" relentlessly.

In the beginning of the season he said he wanted to add to the core and tried to do so in the offseason.

Prior to the trade deadline he said he thinks he knows who the core is, then traded Bert and Hronek. Big message to the guys on the team, you are the core.

At the end of the season he said he would not trade for someone who doesnt add to the core.

The real question is: Does Debrincat add to the core and does he fit the team? I think 100% yes. He grew up playing with Larks and Copp, albeit slightly younger, and (speculation) likely somewhat looked up to Larkin and Copp and saw them as major competition. The three of them immediately bring a Michigan culture, a Red Wings culture, to the room without having won anything as a team yet.

This is very exciting if true.
I feel like we don’t even have a defined “core” yet. Larkin and Raymond? Even if they are, they’re not the caliber of players you build a team around.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Time for this again?
SYGMS1.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: PelagicJoe

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I feel like we don’t even have a defined “core” yet. Larkin and Raymond? Even if they are, they’re not the caliber of players you build a team around.
At this point I feel like it's Larkin and Seider. I think any pre-Yzerman guy outside of Larkin is questionable long term. Ras may be here long term, but he's not like an essential piece or anything along those lines.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Building a core of Seider, Edvinsson, Kasper, Larkin, Raymond, and Cossa + Pick 9 of this draft. If we traded for Debrincat, he would certainly become a part of this nucleus.

We also hope guys like Mazur, Lombardi, Wallinder, Soderblom and Berggren keep getting better.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Building a core of Seider, Edvinsson, Kasper, Larkin, Raymond, and Cossa + Pick 9 of this draft. If we traded for Debrincat, he would certainly become a part of this nucleus.

We also hope guys like Mazur, Lombardi, Wallinder, Soderblom and Berggren keep getting better.
Yeah, we certainly hope most of those guys will be core guys. That's what drafting and development is all about. However most of them have far too little if any NHL experience to pencil them in just yet. In 2-3 years we'll know who is part of the core and who is not.

Reactions: Snuggs

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan

We’re gonna build a team around guys we still don’t know if they’re any good?

That’s the equivalent of saying Zadina was part of the “core” in 2019.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There is no way we are adding on this deal to get rid of Zadina.

If Yzerman calls all the GMs in the league and tries to off load Zadina, someone will offer up a very late pick to take chance on him. His deal is cheap.

Just like Eeli Tolvanen. No one paid a dime for him. He had to be waived even though he was cheaper for 1.4 Million.

Tolvanen was 0.31 points per game player for Nashville and Zadina has been 0.30 points per game for Detroit at last 2 seasons.

This kind of "scoring" wingers, who won't score, are useless.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Honestly, I hate to lose 17 OA, but if it costs us a mid-first, Zadina and a 2nd or Boston's first for Debrincat... I'm down with that. Would I rather we leverage the circumstance to pay even less? Of course. Projecting who will be there at 17 makes it a really appealing pick... But if that's the final offer, I take it.

Debrincat addresses a dire need of ours for someone that can put the biscuit in the basket. He's 25, and has scored 40 goals before. Maybe he never hits that again, but I think we can expect 30 from him. A 30 goal scorer would make a big difference for this team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
One 1st I'm fine with. Two is a no go for me.

Two 1sts could mean:

"One 1st round pick from a strong 2023 draft and one 1st round pick from a weak 2024 draft."

2015 draft has been the strongest after 2003 and 2023 is probably the 3rd strongest draft during the last 20 years.

More I've learned, that 2024 draft could be a weak class again, just like 2018 was weak "zadina" class. There's so much good offensive power on this 2023 draft class, that it's almost impossible how the next class in line could have the same. Usually the strong class will eat the both classes around the certain year.

After comparing 2015 top40 -level production (2023 2nd round pick range) to 2018 low 1st round production (Bos 1st round pick range), the player production are kind of same level there.

It could be that there's no value difference between 2024 late 1st and 2023 early 2nd, if there's so big difference in draft classes.

If Yzerman is suggesting this kind of things, he is probably 100% on the map about these draft class values. 1st round picks are not equal between drafts. And Boston will still be strong, their pick will be outside Top20, after they will fix their cap.

Same thing as trading a 1st rounder for Quincey. Jim Nill had said afterwards that because of a weak draft class, it felt like trading a 2nd.

Also, I'm quite sure how many in here have read about how these 2023 Top4-5 could all go 1st overalls in different weak draft years. Everything will point on that this 2023 is special.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We’re gonna build a team around guys we still don’t know if they’re any good?

That’s the equivalent of saying Zadina was part of the “core” in 2019.
That's how rebuilding works. You hope every high pick becomes part of your core, and maybe 1 or 2 of your later picks. If a pick doesn't work out (Zadina) you may need to trade for someone who can fill that role (DeBrincat).

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
At this point I feel like it's Larkin and Seider. I think any pre-Yzerman guy outside of Larkin is questionable long term. Ras may be here long term, but he's not like an essential piece or anything along those lines.
Rasmussen could easily become a part of the core when we make the playoffs and the game suddenly becomes tougher.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
That's how rebuilding works. You hope every high pick becomes part of your core, and maybe 1 or 2 of your later picks. If a pick doesn't work out (Zadina) you may need to trade for someone who can fill that role (DeBrincat).
Not on HFB. You ice the worst team in history until either you have six HoFers or they relocate the franchise. Anything less is mediocrity (which is now considered worse than relocating the franchise).

Apparently virtual staircases only have one step now: from the basement straight to the top. :D

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
from everything we know of Yzerman, why does anyone think this deal is now likely to happen? He hates leaks and has been said to scuttle trade trade talks if information about them starts to leak out. If this was serious and Ottawa wanted this deal to happen we wouldn't be hearing about it.

So, it makes me think the trade is either total guesswork by the publication or ottawa is leaking something hoping to get someone else to up their offer.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
from everything we know of Yzerman, why does anyone think this deal is now likely to happen? He hates leaks and has been said to scuttle trade trade talks if information about them starts to leak out. If this was serious and Ottawa wanted this deal to happen we wouldn't be hearing about it.

So, it makes me think the trade is either total guesswork by the publication or ottawa is leaking something hoping to get someone else to up their offer.

I was thinking the exact same.

SY does not disclose info, let alone details including names and picks.

Reactions: letsgowings9999

Redwing66

Oct 3, 2020
Ottawa is in a rough place with limited teams in interest, cap space and trade list - last week even downplaying the need for a first round pick with trade partners. Yesterday it comes out Yzerman will potentially give two firsts and Zadina? I just don’t buy it.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

I can't believe you guys are forgetting Jake Walman :rolleyes:

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Doesn't a 2nd 2023, a 3rd 2024, Kubs, and Zadina sound more palatable? They get some future high picks, a scorer (Kubs), and a possible bonus if Zadina turns things around. I agree with the no first crowd and believe Steve does too.

One other thing I just picked up on was that Steve doesn't like the 8 year term the Cat is looking for, so he has some concerns apparently too.

Reactions: wings95

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Doesn't a 2nd 2023, a 3rd 2024, Kubs, and Zadina sound more palatable? They get some future high picks, a scorer (Kubs), and a possible bonus if Zadina turns things around. I agree with the no first crowd and believe Steve does too.

One other thing I just picked up on was that Steve doesn't like the 8 year term the Cat is looking for, so he has some concerns apparently too.
A 2nd, 3rd, and a couple throw-ins does indeed sound more palatable to Detroit than two 1sts, a 2nd, and some throw-ins. I'm not so sure that brain storming things that sound great for Detroit are the best way to come up trade proposals though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad