Rumor: All about Alex DeBrincat -possible trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
The more I’ve thought about it lately the more I’m not on board with trading for him. I’d like a little more size if we’re gonna trade assets and draft picks to go along with 8 million salary. Not to say ADB isn’t a great player but not sure he’s what we need
A goal is a goal, regardless of whether the scorer is 5’7 or 6’4. Goal scoring is the biggest hole on the team by far.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
My take on Yzerman's view on DBC's deal, is that, in a vacuum, one could earnestly argue for max term and high AVV for DBC. The question becomes, does that term and AVV fit with Yzerman's timeline for the Wings? Yzerman could easily be thinking that he likes DBC and that it would be nice to have him, but only he knows what his next moves are and how the speculated contract demands will affect those plans.

His offer probably comes with the qualification that here is what I can offer while still allowing me to go forward with my plan, if you're on board, great, if not, the timing isn't right.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
My take on Yzerman's view on DBC's deal, is that, in a vacuum, one could earnestly argue for max term and high AVV for DBC. The question becomes, does that term and AVV fit with Yzerman's timeline for the Wings? Yzerman could easily be thinking that he likes DBC and that it would be nice to have him, but only he knows what his next moves are and how the speculated contract demands will affect those plans.

His offer probably comes with the qualification that here is what I can offer while still allowing me to go forward with my plan, if you're on board, great, if not, the timing isn't right.
Fair questions, but if a 5 to 8 year deal doesn't fit with the timeline, I have no idea what Detroit is doing.

If the Wings add Debrincat to the free agents they already have, they should be in the mix for a playoff spot right to end of the season, if not outright make it in. In the next 3-5 years they should have several additional kids hitting their stride while most are still on ELC deals. At that point they should be routinely making it out of the first round of the playoffs and on the verge of contending for a championship.

If Debrincat somehow conflicts with that, then several other things went wrong and there are big problems whether Debrincat is here or not.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

if Larkin at 8 years fits the timeline but someone a year and a half younger than him doesn't then that doesn't say nice things about the plan

that would suggest that the Larkin deal was more about fear of losing him than any sort of actual planning

Reactions: jkutswings

DetroitSwede55

Jul 9, 2023
Hello everyone - long time reader that finally decided to make my own profile so that I could contribute to the Debrincat speculation.

I’m not a hockey insider by any means but I do have a lot of close ties to those in the hockey world and happen to be close friends with two people that are close with Debrincat.

I happen to be close family friends with a player on the Senators. My little brother was golfing with said player yesterday so naturally I asked for the inside scoop and unfortunately he didn’t know anything about the current situation but expected something to happen last week.

That said, another buddy of mine who’s from Michigan and still lives here happened to be with Debrincat yesterday so naturally I asked him for some info. My buddy confirmed there’s “thing in the works but nothing agreed upon from team to agent”. He also comfirmed that Debrincat is hoping it’s the Wings.

Nothing too surprising but thought i’d provide another perspective on things as we all wait in anticipation for official word.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Hello everyone - long time reader that finally decided to make my own profile so that I could contribute to the Debrincat speculation.

I’m not a hockey insider by any means but I do have a lot of close ties to those in the hockey world and happen to be close friends with two people that are close with Debrincat.

I happen to be close family friends with a player on the Senators. My little brother was golfing with said player yesterday so naturally I asked for the inside scoop and unfortunately he didn’t know anything about the current situation but expected something to happen last week.

That said, another buddy of mine who’s from Michigan and still lives here happened to be with Debrincat yesterday so naturally I asked him for some info. My buddy confirmed there’s “thing in the works but nothing agreed upon from team to agent”. He also comfirmed that Debrincat is hoping it’s the Wings.

Nothing too surprising but thought i’d provide another perspective on things as we all wait in anticipation for official word.
This is funny

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I can’t wrap my head around his contract demands.
The Senators recently locked up young stars Tkachuk and Stutzle (RFA’s) long term for 8.2M per. Wings Locked up Larkin (UFA) for 8.7M.
DeBrincat isnt in the same stratosphere as those players.

Anything over 7.25M is an overpay. And I would be ok with an overpay. Sometimes that’s the cost of doing business/being aggressive.

But to overpay the contract AND give up valuable future assets like young prospects and high draft picks? I would consider that a double overpay, and more desperate then aggressive

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

That's a lot of bad info and faulty logic in just two tweets.

I'm wondering where the link is to Stevie saying "I don't want to commit to Debrincat," or someone confirming the Wings didn't want to give Larkin 8 years.

There is likely a big gap between the 5 years @ $5 mill he gave Compher and what DeBrincat is asking for. Allegedly 3 years and $3 more million AAV.

To pretend those are similar is just silly.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
The Senators recently locked up young stars Tkachuk and Stutzle (RFA’s) long term for 8.2M per. Wings Locked up Larkin (UFA) for 8.7M.

Anything over 7.25M is an overpay. And I would be ok with an overpay. Sometimes that’s the cost of doing business/being aggressive.

But to overpay the contract AND give up valuable future assets like young prospects and high draft picks? I would consider that a double overpay, and more desperate then aggressive
I understand not wanting to overpay...but we just overpaid for a bunch of 3rd liners and depth players. Copp+Compher make over 10, and we paid Justin turnover machine Holl 3.4.

Reactions: Redwing66

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I understand not wanting to overpay...but we just overpaid for a bunch of 3rd liners and depth players. Copp+Compher make over 10, and we paid Justin turnover machine Holl 3.4.
I’m fine with overpaying the contract a little, I can stomach that. But those players didn’t cost additional assets.

I guess what I’m saying is if he gets 7.25M+…. I’m expecting a sweetheart trade deal.
Trading 2nd/3rd round picks and guys like Kubalik, Buium or Johansson.

I would not expect us to hand him the bag AND spit out a 1st round pick Or guys like Berggren/Mazur/Wallinder ect.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
That's a lot of bad info and faulty logic in just two tweets.

I'm wondering where the link is to Stevie saying "I don't want to commit to Debrincat," or someone confirming the Wings didn't want to give Larkin 8 years.

There is likely a big gap between the 5 years @ $5 mill he gave Compher and what DeBrincat is asking for. Allegedly 3 years and $3 more million AAV.

To pretend those are similar is just silly.
I think they meant how can you be cheap giving DeBrincat a proven goal scorer term and money but so willing to type up 14 mill aav to three players literally no other team would want those contracts at this price for what they provide.

Its like you want to buy a Ferrari but don't want to put in premium gas.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019

DeBrincat is closer to Larkin than Larkin is to Stützle, in fact DeBrincat is outproducing Larkin point wise. DeBrincat will join this team and immediately battle Larkin for most skilled offensive player. Anything less than 8M is a bargain.

Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
DeBrincat is closer to Larkin than Larkin is to Stützle, in fact DeBrincat is outproducing Larkin point wise. DeBrincat will join this team and immediately battle Larkin for most skilled offensive player. Anything less than 8M is a bargain.
Not if he's the best player on his line and has to work for it. Take away all of Larkin's center responsibilities and give him a line driver and he can pile up points too.

Reactions: Murmansk16A

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I think they meant how can you be cheap giving DeBrincat a proven goal scorer term and money but so willing to type up 14 mill aav to three players literally no other team would want those contracts at this price for what they provide.

Its like you want to buy a Ferrari but don't want to put in premium gas.
I get it, but it's still not apples to apples.

They have the cap room to overpay for UFA's like Copp and Compher and have them be gone in 4 and 5 years. But it sounds like DeBrincat wants Larkin money and term AND the Wings will be giving up assets to get him. That's not being cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille