Rumor: All about Alex DeBrincat -possible trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I don't want to alarm anyone still refreshing, but last off-season the Tkachuk trade didn't happen until July 22.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
I’ll be 100% honest, I’ll be frustrated if this doesn’t happen. Rarely do you have someone available who’s 25 years old and a multiple 40 goal scorer who can be had for cheaper than market prices because he wants to come to you. Someone who fits the timeline of the rebuild. If DeBrincat was to become a UFA Yzerman would not only have to pay north of what Larkin makes, but add the term as well. We always here that teams don’t trade away core
Pieces, well here we are and the idea that we are and the idea that Yzermans bong hole gets tighter than a snare drum over an extra year or two when he signs guys like Compher to extra term just because they’re UFAs won’t sit well with me.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I don't want to alarm anyone still refreshing, but last off-season the Tkachuk trade didn't happen until July 22.

and more to the point Debrincat's exact arbitration date hasn't even been announced yet but the hearings won't be until July 20th- August 4th so it will be like another 2-3 weeks for that still

Tarasenko could be a factor though, presumably if this takes too much longer he'll be off the market somewhere else

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I get it, but it's still not apples to apples.

They have the cap room to overpay for UFA's like Copp and Compher and have them be gone in 4 and 5 years. But it sounds like DeBrincat wants Larkin money and term AND the Wings will be giving up assets to get him. That's not being cheap.
I also don’t entirely agree with the assumptio that the UFAs were an overpay.

3 Million is the going rate for an established dman.

5 million is the rate for a 2-3 C

2 million is good value for a 2nd/3rd line winger.

People who don’t realize this are out to lunch

Reactions: Winger98

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
You think he is a 1st line 70 plus pt 30 plus goal winger?

If yes then that's fair...

I dont agree is all
I think he has that capability, yes. It's all a matter of trust. Hudler wasn't trusted here and peaked as a 20+30 middle 6 guy with the Wings. In Calgary he was top 10 in league scoring with a handful of Hart votes. Berggren reminds me a lot of Hudler, but with NHL level skating.

• Haha
Reactions: Snuggs

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
It’s not always about raw production. Debrincat will cost 6-8 times more than Berggren on salary. Is he going to produce 6-8 times more than Berggren?
8/6=1.33
8/8=1
Are you saying Berggren will cost between 1 and 1.33M when he gets a new contract?

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
It’s not always about raw production. Debrincat will cost 6-8 times more than Berggren on salary. Is he going to produce 6-8 times more than Berggren?
In a thread loaded with dumb takes, this stands alone.

Yeah, DeBrincat is going to score 150-200 goals a year, just like Larkin does now ... along with every other guy that makes 6-8 times more than Berggren.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Over the length of the contract yes..

I think though that analogy is wrong though cause couldn't you make that comparison between any 2 players and respective contracts?

The better players get paid better

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
8/6=1.33
8/8=1
Are you saying Berggren will cost between 1 and 1.33M when he gets a new contract?

He’s signed for 950 k next season and will be an rfa for another 3years. He will be significantly cheaper.

In a thread loaded with dumb takes, this stands alone.

Yeah, DeBrincat is going to score 150-200 goals a year, just like Larkin does now ... along with every other guy that makes 6-8 times more than Berggren.

Found the guy that doesn’t understand asset management.

Over the length of the contract yes..

I think though that analogy is wrong though cause couldn't you make that comparison between any 2 players and respective contracts?

The better players get paid better

Ya it’s always a balance between cost and production.

• Haha
Reactions: Snuggs

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
He’s signed for 950 k next season and will be an rfa for another 3years. He will be significantly cheaper.

Of course...

But I'll always sign the better player..

I'll choose to sign Seider next summer to 8m vs a FA dman for 1.5m even if that FA dman could provide 50% of Seiders production and therefore provide better post-production

Reactions: jkutswings

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Trading Berggren would be extremely short sighted.
While getting a player only three years his senior who is exactly what we hope Berggren becomes?

How exactly is it short sighted? Berggren is getting WAY too much love this past week. He’s a really good prospect. But let’s face it… he isn’t a special prospect.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023

You don’t win games by getting the best bang for the buck on your players. It helps… but if Debrincat scores 30 being paid 8M on the top line and Berggren scores 15 being paid 900k in a third/fourth line swing guy…. Debrincat is doing more to help you win.

I’d love to get Debrincat without surrendering Berggren.. but I’m not passing on it because “oh no we’re gonna give up Berggren”

Reactions: SirloinUB

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
You don’t win games by getting the best bang for the buck on your players. It helps… but if Debrincat scores 30 being paid 8M on the top line and Berggren scores 15 being paid 900k in a third/fourth line swing guy…. Debrincat is doing more to help you win.

I’d love to get Debrincat without surrendering Berggren.. but I’m not passing on it because “oh no we’re gonna give up Berggren”
It’s also easy to see berggren scoring 20+. He’s only played 67 nhl games and put up 15 while driving a line for about the first half of those games

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm not saying I'm shoving him out the door. But both sides have to WANT to make the deal, so Detroit will need to part with something of some value.

You happen to value Lombardi more than I do. I'm not optimistic about the transition from tearing it up on The Flint Firebirds to facing actual competition in the NHL. But it's fine to agree to disagree, since the point is not the individual player, but the concept of offering SOMETHING the other team actually wants, in exchange for a player that has already proven to score 30-40 goals a year in the NHL.

It doesn't have to be Lombardi. But you have to give to get.
Lombardi is one of the few forwards in our organization that have gamebreaking offensive potential. In terms of pure offensive skill I'm not sure we have a prospect that I'd rank ahead.

When trading, the smart thing is to trade from a position of strength to adress a weakness. I'm not sold on the idea of trading young pieces with high offensive upside to adress our lack of offense, and I'd honestly rather add a higher level of draft stock than pay for it with any of our top prospects.

Reactions: norrisnick

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I also don’t entirely agree with the assumptio that the UFAs were an overpay.

3 Million is the going rate for an established dman.

5 million is the rate for a 2-3 C

2 million is good value for a 2nd/3rd line winger.

People who don’t realize this are out to lunch

Honestly every year people here at hfboards talk about how UFAs were all mostly overpaid. Which is the nature of signing a UFA and kinda means it's the market value.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I've found guys who need to cool it a bit and quit insulting each other as if it makes their points. You either believe Debrincat's impact will be worth the money or you don't and I'm not sure anyone can make an argument to soundly convince someone in the other camp to change their mind.

But all of us should be able to concede that these are just opinions and we could just as easily be wrong as right. Except for that @Bench guy, he's just stubborn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad