Post-Game Talk: All aboard the Jurco hype train

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'll agree Jurco stood out the most tonight, just looked more skilled than any other forward we were icing and was first to a good number of pucks. Second best forward was probably Patrick Russell did well playing into a tough match-up against the Petterssen line, was solid defensively and noticeable in the offensive zone supporting the play, left me wanting a bit more both skill and speed wise, but ultimately found a way to be relevant and contribute positively. Third best forward for me was probably Marody, he looked like poop in the first, but really seemed to get his head screwed on straight in the 2nd and played more like we expect him to.

I noticed a few pretty passes from Benson, but still don't feel like he is doing enough on the whole to make the team, it's starting to become noticeable that he's not at an NHL strength level quite yet.

I'm fond of what McLeod is doing out there not particularly flashy just tends to play a smooth game and makes the right decision more often than not.

I seen Cave getting ragged on in the GDT, he made some noticeable mistakes, but it was him who seemed to be getting the most shifts head to head against Petterssen on the whole he seemed to be winning the territorial battle more often than not, but was clearly losing the battle in terms of quality chances, for a guy punching way above his weight class in terms of opposition quality I thought he was ok.

For quick hits Granlund was pretty much invisible, and all of Malone, Gambardella, and Currie were a bit underwhelming.

-------------
Nurse made some critical mistakes late, but on the whole he looked like himself just a rustier version (I think I counted 4 muffed shots in the game)

Larsson just wasn't mentally sharp and at times like he was checked out of the game, I was hoping to see the old Larsson, but this looked more like last years version, still plenty of pre-season to get back on track. One thing is I know the coaches told him they wanted more offense out of him and he did seem to be playing higher up more often than he usually does.

Samorukov did a lot right, him and Bouchard were our best pairing tonight, but ultimately it just seems like he's still processing the game at a junior level mentally, he looks like a guy who'll need some AHL polish, but when/if he makes the big club it seems like he has the potential to be a big difference maker.

Bouchard had one really tough shift late in the game and a few mistakes here or there, but atleast for now he seems to be pretty routinely ahead in terms of creating more than he gives up, whether or not he makes the team really seems like it will come down to 2 questions for the coach. Do we need the element that Bouchard provides, which I don't think any other d-man quite fully encapsulates and secondly how comfortable are we with him learning how to play in the NHL. Regardless of the decision we make I'm just getting the vibe that Bouchard won't hit the 80 games played mark in the AHL, it seems like a matter of time before he bullies his way onto the club.

Manning I just don't like this player and watching him play just reinforces that feeling, I'm hoping we can loan him to another AHL team. Bear played pretty good felt like he was carrying his vet partner for the most part. There were moments early in the game where Bear was bobbling the puck a bit too much and a few instances where his lack of size was being preyed on by some of the opposition, but he seemed to be moving the puck the right direction most of the night and I'm hopeful he can show more when we remove that lead boot that is Manning.

Two pre-season games in and I'm liking our young D a lot more than our young forwards.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
A bunch of these comments tonight but very few responses refuting anything I said.

I think that you were right on the mark.
It seems that a lot of people arent interested in quiet and reliable which is what Bear and Manning were for the most part. That is a good thing.

I thought Bouchard was the same player I remember from last year...very good offensively but he doesnt do well when pressured in his own zone. If you dont have the foot speed to deal with pressure then you need to have a sense of urgency regarding making the right play with the puck. I need to see more from Bouchard...hopefully I will.

I really like Jurco and not just because he scored that goal. He reminds me of Yakupov with a brain. Skating style is similar....quick player with good edges. Nose for the net. I am looking forward to seeing more from him.

I also thought Cave had a good game considering he was playing against the Canucks best player all night.
Patrick Russell is a good player...he is so consistent shift to shift.

Starrett played an exceptional game IMO.

Once again I liked the breakouts and the way Tippett uses the 5 man unit. I also like the emphasis on activating the D. Pretty much every dman activated at least once during this game. Nice to see.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Jurco was buzzin, Marody was solid too. But it was McLeod that really stood out. He was super impressive, really clicking with Benson, just like last pre-season. Both of them should make the cut, they would add a real flare to the bottom 6

Reactions: Belchior

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Jurco was buzzin, Marody was solid too. But it was McLeod that really stood out. He was super impressive, really clicking with Benson, just like last pre-season. Both of them should make the cut, they would add a real flare to the bottom 6
Yeah, I liked McLeod as well. That guy has wheels and tried to drive the play.

Reactions: Gh0st

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Problem with McLeod is that he was a blank slate out there... no shots and not really a lot to show for all the quick skating he does.

I like the player but I think he obviously needs AHL time to show he can get some results from the effort he puts out there.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I was at that Red Sox Giants game tonight in Boston. Game went 6 hours so I missed Oilers game. They went thru 25 pitchers tonight.
Anything big go down or anything special happen?

Reactions: McSpecial Blend

Nuff78

Sep 25, 2018
Chestermere
After watching the highlight pack I noticed nurse and Larsson were on for most of the good chances against by Vancouver. Tell me I am wrong please

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm beginning to think, there were two different Oilers games after reading the comments. What is it with the different analysis? Usually there is some common ground. Not this time lol :laugh:

I think that's because the Oilers as a team outplayed and generally outhustled the Canucks and not sure what the scoring chances were but I have to think they easily outchanced them as well... yet they came up short as the opposition just scored more when they had their chances.

Canucks goalie was good in net as well but the Oilers were a little unlucky a few times with the puck skittering just wide several times.

Overall I think most are very happy with the overall effort but it's the final results and finish that some may be questioning for some players.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Imma do an updated depth chart based on each pre season game

Please note that vets will often get a benefit of the doubt and harder to push down unless they play bad and not just okay .

Also higher rankings doesn't necesarilyn mean the line they will play kn

Left Wing
1. Draisaitl
2. Jurco
3. Nygard
4. Granlund
5. Benson
6. Khaira
7. Gambardella

Center
1. McDavid
2. Nugent-Hopkins
3. Sheahan
4. Marody
5. Cave
6. Haas
7. McLeod
8. Malone

Right Wing
1. Neal
2. Gagner
3. Kassian
4. Chiasson
5. Archibald
7. Russell
8. Currie

Left Defense
1. Klefbom
2. Nurse
3. Russell
4. Lagesson
5. Samorukov
6. Jones
7. Manning

Right Defense
1. Larsson
2. Persson
3. Benning
4. Bouchard
5. Bear
6. Day

Goaltending
1. Koskinen
2. Smith
3. Starrett
4. Skinner
5. Wells

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Didn't need to watch the game to know that Nurse-Larsson didn't work well.

They just don't mesh.

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
This is exactly what I wanted to say. My buddy and I were at the game tonight and both thought McLeod looked the best. He is quick, very smooth and calm with the puck, and makes smart plays and passes. I'm sure he'll make the team next year and he looks ready to play in the AHL right now. Russel looked solid as well and Jurco looked good, but not the best player imo like some were saying.

Samorukov looked great besides that first gaff, and Bouchard made some nice outlet passes (he makes it look so easy and it's so nice to watch for a change since we have no d capable of that on the roster right now), but he needs to work on his defensive positioning. Petterson snuck behind him for his rebound goal.

Nurse looked like himself, driving the play but making a few mistakes. I think Larsson looked fine tonight- I feel like he had so much offensive potential when we first got him and every year he looks worse and worse in the offensive zone. It's almost like he doesn't know what to do if he ever gets the puck on the blue-line or in the slot.

Reactions: Gh0st

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Manning was not terrible tonight I thought??? Wow did I just type that? What is wrong with me? With is this feeling??? I think it is opposite of shame...

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Humble brag.
That's awesome. Would love to visit Fenway.

Your not gonna like this then. We were above the Green Monster during tour and Red Sox were doing batting practice . Caught one ball of JD Martinez with my Oilers hat. Stupid Giants fan tried to get his glove behind me but I won that battle. 10 mins later I got another one. We sat 8 rows of right field near Penske Pole

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I don't know what Larsson was doing on that 3rd Canucks goal, but Cave just had a complete controller disconnect moment there.

You are right behind the guy and the puck is at the point. It boggles my mind why he didn't just put int the effort and backcheck.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
I think that's because the Oilers as a team outplayed and generally outhustled the Canucks and not sure what the scoring chances were but I have to think they easily outchanced them as well... yet they came up short as the opposition just scored more when they had their chances.

Canucks goalie was good in net as well but the Oilers were a little unlucky a few times with the puck skittering just wide several times.

Overall I think most are very happy with the overall effort but it's the final results and finish that some may be questioning for some players.
Good thinking, I agree. I had a short look at the statistics board and we clearly outshot the Nucks. Not sure about the scoring chances but it looked like it too. I'm also very happy with the game in general. A lot of drive, lots of energy.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Imma do an updated depth chart based on each pre season game

Please note that vets will often get a benefit of the doubt and harder to push down unless they play bad and not just okay .

Also higher rankings doesn't necesarilyn mean the line they will play kn

Left Wing
1. Draisaitl
2. Jurco
3. Nygard
4. Granlund
5. Benson
6. Khaira
7. Gambardella

Center
1. McDavid
2. Nugent-Hopkins
3. Sheahan
4. Marody
5. Cave
6. Haas
7. McLeod
8. Malone

Right Wing
1. Neal
2. Gagner
3. Kassian
4. Chiasson
5. Archibald
7. Russell
8. Currie

Left Defense
1. Klefbom
2. Nurse
3. Russell
4. Lagesson
5. Samorukov
6. Jones
7. Manning

Right Defense
1. Larsson
2. Persson
3. Benning
4. Bouchard
5. Bear
6. Day

Goaltending
1. Koskinen
2. Smith
3. Starrett
4. Skinner
5. Wells

I think they'll still have Khaira ahead of Benson because Benson hasn't really done enough yet to overtake an NHL vet and Khaira has that size element that few other bottom 6 forwards have on the Oilers plus he can play C in a pinch as well on the 4th line.

Not sure about Marody yet... have to see more of Haas who I think they like for his speed and PK ability. Cave is a player that does nothing great and yet still gives a good effort out there and is that utility type player who can take faceoffs, PK and "looks" like he's trying hard so he's somewhat the type of player that can be a coach's favourite whereas Marody is going to live and die more with his offensive contributions and I think he sticks out more negatively when he isn't producing regularly.

I know you have Russell as #6 RW... but I feel he's making a very strong case to stick because he's a solid all around player and can PK and won't hurt you defensively even when not producing offense.

I see Cave/Haas/Russell as a battle to the end of camp with only one of them making the 23 man roster.

I haven't see enough of Day yet... but no doubt he doesn't make the cut.. but he could pass Bear on the RH side.

I think Jones is still ahead of Samorukov because they'll to see Samorukov get some games in the AHL before throwing him into NHL action.

Just to add... I think if Russell doesn't make the Oilers... there's a good chance he gets picked up on waivers by another team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad