Confirmed with Link: Alfredsson to Detroit for 1 year 3.5m with 2m in bonuses

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Yeah Alfie is such a dope because this isn't a cup contender's first line:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Alfredsson

This would be a great move, I'm still worried about the middle of the second line but we are getting a first line player (albeit for only a year), why are some people mad about this?

It's not like this is taking a spot away from a young guy, this is Abby losing his first line spot.

I don't think it is. I really think we're going to see the Swedish 5 line :laugh:

Franzen -Zetterberg - Alfredsson

Which is a great line as well. Datsyuk will probably get Abdelkader and maybe Nyquist if Holland doesn't get someone else.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Their Steve Yzerman/Joe Sakic etc. is leaving. Why wouldn't they be upset? They're emotionally attached to the face of the franchise. I don't think it's awful, just don't like it. And if it means Cleary is gone. Then I'm cool with it. Unfortunately this may mean Brunner is gone. Which I do not like.

Agreed.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Is there a real reason everyone thinks this signifies the exit of Brunner? Or is it just an assumption someone said and everyone started repeating? I don't see why we can't have both with all our extra cap space we have sitting around...

because it's been stated multiple times in recent days that the Wings want to sign a Center

no room for Alfredsson and Brunner and a Center

ergo signing Alfredsson would seem to indicate that Brunner could be on the way out

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I'm not sure how people can dislike this move if it bumps one of Cleary/Samuelsson/Bertuzzi/Abdelkader out of the top six.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
but choosing detroit as destination to win a cup? i just don't see it.

Detroit took the eventual Stanley Cup winner to 7 games this year, and was up 3-1 at one point. The Wings AHL team won the Calder Cup as well.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
I don't think players see things the same way as fans all the time. Shane Doan probably honestly believes the Coyotes are a cup contender.

could be. i mean, a player has to believe in his own abilities too. no doubt about that. and who knows which moves will follow. maybe holland can tell a player more when negociating.

but i think a chance for a cup would be bigger in boston, especially after that eriksson trade.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
I for one like it. Surprised to see so much outrage about it, but whatever.

Welcome aboard, Alfie!

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Kypreos is saying that Grabovski might be claimed off waivers, thus never hitting the FA market. 4 yrs at $5.5 per for whoever claims him...

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Ken Holland is a dope. Alfie is garbage. He's coming here for a joy ride into the sunset. Terrible signing.

People here are going to be shocked.
Alfredsson plays all out all the time. He will be noticebly one of the best energy/ hard working players on the Wings next year.

This criticism is unfounded. Alfie is a constant professional.

RedWingsNow*

Well, he was Ottawa's best player in the playoffs.

His only problem is injury because he's so competitive and pushes himself so hard.

You guys really don't have a clue.

He's been running an offence by himself for years since the Spezza-Heatley line - being given whatever is left after Spezza gets the top guys to spread out the offence.

Alfie was sixth on the Sens in even strength points. Would have been even lower if Michalek, Karlson and Latendresse played a full season.

So unless he plays #1 PP minutes in Detroit, we can expect his stats to fall even more.

He hasn't been better than 5th on the Sens in ES Points since 2010

Here are is stats the last 3 years
176 games 51 goals 65 assists 116 points.

He has 74 even strength points the last three years.
Todd Bertuzzi had 65 - despite missing virtually all of last year.

You do the math.

People like Alfredsson because he's a big name or because he's Swedish.

He's a run-of-the-mill player. Bertuzzi is more productive and most people here don't see room for him.

RedWingsNow*

Kypreos is saying that Grabovski might be claimed off waivers, thus never hitting the FA market. 4 yrs at $5.5 per for whoever claims him...

Which might be a bargain. Watch and see how much teams play for Flip and Weiss

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
Brunner is all but gone. Someone is moronically going to offer him a 4 x 4 deal and he will take it. I am fine with taking Alfie and Grabo and calling it a day. Let Gus and Tatar see some top-six time this year and with goal scorers like Jurco, Mantha and Frk in the system, it softens the Brunner blow.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Brunner is all but gone. Someone is moronically going to offer him a 4 x 4 deal and he will take it. I am fine with taking Alfie and Grabo and calling it a day. Let Gus and Tatar see some top-six time this year and with goal scorers like Jurco, Mantha and Frk in the system, it softens the Brunner blow.

How are you gonna fit grabovski with having like 2million left after alfredsson and RFA-resigns?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Alfie was sixth on the Sens in even strength points. Would have been even lower if Michalek, Karlson and Latendresse played a full season.

So unless he plays #1 PP minutes in Detroit, we can expect his stats to fall even more.

He hasn't been better than 5th on the Sens in ES Points since 2010

Here are is stats the last 3 years
176 games 51 goals 65 assists 116 points.

He has 74 even strength points the last three years.
Todd Bertuzzi had 65 - despite missing virtually all of last year.

You do the math.

People like Alfredsson because he's a big name or because he's Swedish.

He's a run-of-the-mill player. Bertuzzi is more productive and most people here don't see room for him.

Bob, I was trying really hard to find a silver lining. You're downright cruel.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I'm not sure how people can dislike this move if it bumps one of Cleary/Samuelsson/Bertuzzi/Abdelkader out of the top six.

Because we're still in the hunt for Cleary. :banghead:

IIRC this puts us at around 7M with all of our RFAs left to sign, they'll take up at least 3M of it. That leaves us with 4M or so in cap space, I doubt we have any other moves coming which ****ing sucks.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Bob, I was trying really hard to find a silver lining. You're downright cruel.

The difference is that Alfredsson was creating offense himself, Bertuzzi had a few 'hot' stretches playing with Pavel Datsyuk. I think Alfredsson will be a lot more productive next year. Comparing him to Bertuzzi is silly, especially when you're doing it by looking stats on nhl.com. The eye test is what matters, Bertuzzi hasn't passed it in ages.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad