Confirmed with Link: Alfredsson to Detroit for 1 year 3.5m with 2m in bonuses

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Well, he was Ottawa's best player in the playoffs.

His only problem is injury because he's so competitive and pushes himself so hard.

You guys really don't have a clue.

I agree, Alfredsson is going to be awesome. I hear Alfredsson was lowballed by Ottawa and that's why he decided to leave.

RedWingsNow*

I think Alfredsson is a definite upgrade and I don't really have any interest in Horton, Clowe or Clarkson. But the Wings have to re-sign Brunner and then I would be a little bit happier. If we signed Grabovski as well, I think it would be a success, but like you, I don't see it.

We've got a GM who moves like a stale fart.
I'm sick of it,,,,

It's also bizarre that Alfredsson chose Detroit because he wants to win a cup. Doesn't say much for Alfie's intelligence, IMO.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Is there a real reason everyone thinks this signifies the exit of Brunner? Or is it just an assumption someone said and everyone started repeating? I don't see why we can't have both with all our extra cap space we have sitting around...

crashman

Well, he was Ottawa's best player in the playoffs.

His only problem is injury because he's so competitive and pushes himself so hard.

You guys really don't have a clue.

He's been running an offence by himself for years since the Spezza-Heatley line - being given whatever is left after Spezza gets the top guys to spread out the offence.

Dude, I think Alfie is one hell of a player, but why now? This seems like a PR signing more than a hockey one.

I hope this means Brunner is out, he's not worth the risk. Let's see what Tatar and Nyquist have to offer.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
unlike in computer games, brunner might have his own mind. what if he doesn't want to re-sign? nothing kenny can do about that.

alfie for a year would be great. he's still a good hockey player. and we have enough kids from GR coming up to not be an old team.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Chill guys... We can call this stupid when it's the only move Holland does. Plus it's not set in stone yet. We still need a center. (well, preferably)

Sorry K55, seems that many of us are fresh put of chill pills. Let's be honest though: if Kenny was serious about bringing in an impact player for the top 6, then Sammy already has his walking papers and is looking for a new team. Makes no sense to piss away $3M in cap space for next year on him.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
Dude, I think Alfie is one hell of a player, but why now? This seems like a PR signing more than a hockey one.

Why would you spend X millions for PR when you have hockey games to win? this team isn't the Kings, Bruins or Blackhawks or any other team that is ripe with young talent.

patekilla

Jun 24, 2012
Florida
what is he just wants to play for the fun of playing with the swedes hes been playing internationally with for years?
and possibly collect a nice pay day from it? :dunno:

Detroit Sports*

Is there a real reason everyone thinks this signifies the exit of Brunner? Or is it just an assumption someone said and everyone started repeating? I don't see why we can't have both with all our extra cap space we have sitting around...

Yeah maybe but no brunner and gabbo! I can not stand kenny. Him and joe dumars like to piss off the fan base here

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
If this means Cleary is gone its great. Then keep Brunner or Sign Grabo, Wiess or Roy and its good.

Its only one year and then Jarnkrok or Jurco will be here, people need to chill. The last thing we want is some guy for 5 years taking up a spot for those guys.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
People here just love to ***** about everything Kenny does. Alfredsson while not the youngest, ist very good fit. And money, sorry but who cares about his cap hit if it' just for next season. But well I guess the most would rather overpay have mediocrities like Clowe and Clarkson, support players who will be paid like core players...

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I agree, Alfredsson is going to be awesome. I hear Alfredsson was lowballed by Ottawa and that's why he decided to leave.

I really don't think so.

I think he wanted Ottawa's management to prove they were going for the Cup this upcoming season and wasn't happy with the team as it stood at this point.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI

Since they didn't buy out The worhtless piece of **** that is Samuelsson, there won't be enough capspace etc

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
If this means Cleary is gone its great. Then keep Brunner or Sign Grabo, Wiess or Roy and its good.

Its only one year and then Jarnkrok or Jurco will be here, people need to chill. The last thing we want is some guy for 5 years taking up a spot for those guys.

yeah, tbh if that happens i won't even be mad.

i haven't looked at next years FA class, but I'd assume it's better than this years one...at least alfies deal only has the potential to be bad for 1 year and we can use the capspace on next years FA class.

alfie for a year + brunner/grabo for 3-4 is ideal, i think. next year you use alfies caphit to fill more holes.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
id be happy with this signing for 1 year, especially if it means we don't go after weiss.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
So if we can defer the bonuses until 2014-2015 does that mean we can lower his cap hit? If we can get him for around 2.5M I'm all for this, just please Kenny nothing around 5M.

Exactly, sounds like Holland has left cap room to add a center aswell. (Flip, Weiss, Grabo)

I've always liked Alfredsson. One of my favorite players in the league. All heart and has shown the last couple years he still has something left in the tank. Thrilled about this signing... one year is perfect.

Honestly never thought he would leave OTT!

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Alfie leaving Ottawa is like if Yzerman would have left Detroit to chase a(nother) Cup his last couple years in the league.

1st Line Interloper

Will Drop the Gloves
May 4, 2013
Yeah Alfie is such a dope because this isn't a cup contender's first line:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Alfredsson

This would be a great move, I'm still worried about the middle of the second line but we are getting a first line player (albeit for only a year), why are some people mad about this?

It's not like this is taking a spot away from a young guy, this is Abby losing his first line spot.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
I think he wanted Ottawa's management to prove they were going for the Cup this upcoming season and wasn't happy with the team as it stood at this point.

but choosing detroit as destination to win a cup? i just don't see it.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Why do you think this? The overwhelming majority of Ottawa fans think you're crazy.

Their Steve Yzerman/Joe Sakic etc. is leaving. Why wouldn't they be upset? They're emotionally attached to the face of the franchise. I don't think it's awful, just don't like it. And if it means Cleary is gone. Then I'm cool with it. Unfortunately this may mean Brunner is gone. Which I do not like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad