Alexis Lafreniere disappointing season start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
4 games in and you create a thread asking if a players been disappointing, while liking posts where other members are shitting on Laf, and you could honestly sit there and tell me this thread doesn’t have an angle?
Lol, I liked one post which I thought was sarcastic, no need to go conspiracy theory route. I actually predicted NYR would be a powerhouse this year.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Bust! trade him to the Pens for Ceci so you can have a pairing with Johnson and Ceci on it.
LOL. Literally—LOL.

Every Rangers fan this off-season: pls no JJ pls no JJ pls no JJ. Then we sign JJ. Then our coach keeps playing him despite playing like he has 7,413 extra chromosomes.

Laf would have 21 goals and 64 assists 4 games into his rookie season if JJ wasn’t a Ranger. True Story.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Lol, I liked one post which I thought was sarcastic, no need to go conspiracy theory route. I actually predicted NYR would be a powerhouse this year.
Well, not even most level headed Rangers fans expected a powerhouse from pretty much the youngest team in the league.

So that’s your problem right there. Your expectations suck because your hockey IQ is lower than Jack Johnson’s talent.

Things are legit starting to make sense right now.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Well, JJ is certainly a pretty talented hockey player since he managed to play nearly 1000 games in the best hockey league in the world so I guess I take this as a complement
Was*

No longer is**

Please, take him for PLD if you like him that much. Well even retain!:D

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Guys who enter the league on fire like McDavid and Matthews in their D+1 are an anomaly. Even if they happened back to back, it isn't and is unlikely to be commonplace.

McDavid had a shit early start too for what it's worth. No points in first 2 games, only 1 point in first 4....and then scored 11 points in next 7 games. Personally I think this is what is happening here - just a fluky bad first few games, but I expect floodgates still open up and he ends up having a good season.

Lafreniere is projected to be Matthews level impact player, isn’t he ?

I think so personally, yes. Maybe just a tad behind, but same tier.

I still expect he wins Calder this year and starts scoring a lot, but we'll see.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
McDavid had a shit early start too for what it's worth. No points in first 2 games, only 1 point in first 4....and then scored 11 points in next 7 games. Personally I think this is what is happening here - just a fluky bad first few games, but I expect floodgates still open up and he ends up having a good season.

I think so personally, yes. Maybe just a tad behind, but same tier.

I still expect he wins Calder this year and starts scoring a lot, but we'll see.
I was more focusing on the fact McDavid went point-per-game than his first 4 games. By pointing to Matthews and McDavid I was addressing their first season production-wise rather than how they started. What they did was rare, and isn't commonly repeated. Immediate impacts like that shouldn't be expected.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I was more focusing on the fact McDavid went point-per-game than his first 4 games. By pointing to Matthews and McDavid I was addressing their first season production-wise rather than how they started. What they did was rare, and isn't commonly repeated. Immediate impacts like that shouldn't be expected.

I agree its very rare/impressive and shouldnt be expected. Doesn't change the fact that i still did/do expect a great season from Laf, as i think he's special and capable to have an immediate impact too.

MrSnrub

May 23, 2010
Some place far away
Not gonna lie, I came to check the board exactly because I knew this thread would be here.

There were posters on this board in 2015 saying things like “I knew McDavid wouldn’t be an impact player in the NHL, his style just doesn’t fit the pros” after his first two career games.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Bro Phil Di Giuseppe has been our best player so far, there are about 9,000 things I’m more concerned with than Lafreniere (who I’ve been extremely impressed by).

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I agree its very rare/impressive and shouldnt be expected. Doesn't change the fact that i still did/do expect a great season from Laf, as i think he's special and capable to have an immediate impact too.
He had an awesome game when they dunked the Islanders last week. He’s just getting cozy. Over-passing a bit deferring to his teammates but I feel like that’s to be expected.

Honestly feels completely different than Kakko’s rookie start.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Were actually doing a thread about this after the kids only played 4 games??? Amazing!

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
There should be a rule that you can't make a thread about a player slumping until at least the 10 game mark.
you must really HATE message boards.

Lafreniere isn't some typical 2nd rounder or #7, #15, #20 pick. He's a #1OA who has been hyped up for years. He's 19, turns 20 this year, so he's only a few months younger than Jack Hughes for example.
It's absolutely warranted to talk about him when he goes pointless 4 games in a row to start his NHL career. No points, -2, 5 shots. It's definitely not great. Lafreniere wasn't talked about as someone who needed a bunch of time to adjust, he's been talked about as someone that can be a star from the first drop of the puck in his NHL career.

Reactions: BrockLobster

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
At first glance I'm disappointed as a Rangers fan. But then when you think about everything it makes sense.

He hasn't played competitive hockey for what, 10 months? The coach is awful and he shuffles the lines too much. He seems to be bad with developing young players as well.

Alexis is playing on his off-wing, that's a position he's not used to.

I think he'll need like 10-12 games to get going due to no hockey in ages.

Also our team is playing so f***ing bad ATM... he's not been put in any position to succeed yet.

I think he'll be more than fine. Look at MacKinnon, it took him a few years to turn into that elite player he is today. I still remember people on HfBoards offering decent packages due to the fact that he hadn't found that next level yet.

Tavares and Stamkos had disappointing seasons. Stamkos was almost moved for Del Zotto and some other pieces.

He'll be fine.

With that said. I'm benching him on my fantasy team until he starts to produce haha.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
The Rangers are in the hardest division, and that’s all they get to play the entire season. They’ll get to play Buffalo and New Jersey who are weaker on paper, but the rest of the time they’ll be playing teams fighting for playoff spots. Over and over again.

Rookies usually get the surprise factor of being an unknown commodity, Lafreniere won’t get that opportunity this year. Even if he doesn’t produce well this season, he’ll be fine.
Well said.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Expecting players to start their careers like McDavid and Matthews is just going to lead people to disappointment, this is a hard league to play in and adjust to, even if he physically has the body for it.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
At first glance I'm disappointed as a Rangers fan. But then when you think about everything it makes sense.

He hasn't played competitive hockey for what, 10 months? The coach is awful and he shuffles the lines too much. He seems to be bad with developing young players as well.

Alexis is playing on his off-wing, that's a position he's not used to.

I think he'll need like 10-12 games to get going due to no hockey in ages.

Also our team is playing so f***ing bad ATM... he's not been put in any position to succeed yet.

I think he'll be more than fine. Look at MacKinnon, it took him a few years to turn into that elite player he is today. I still remember people on HfBoards offering decent packages due to the fact that he hadn't found that next level yet.

Tavares and Stamkos had disappointing seasons. Stamkos was almost moved for Del Zotto and some other pieces.

He'll be fine.

With that said. I'm benching him on my fantasy team until he starts to produce haha.
You'll reap the rewards keeping him near the end of the season/playoffs for fantasy if I had to guess.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
You'll reap the rewards keeping him near the end of the season/playoffs for fantasy if I had to guess.
Hopefully. The Rangers division is brutal though.

We miss out on playing vs some real bad teams. Who knows how many points he'd score if he played vs those teams.

Playing the same teams over and over again should be a disadvantage.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
The rangers offense in general has been disappointing. Once panarin and bananajad get going we'll see laf start to get going as well. Strome has been a complete blackhole to the point that it's even effecting panarin.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Expecting players to start their careers like McDavid and Matthews is just going to lead people to disappointment, this is a hard league to play in and adjust to, even if he physically has the body for it.
This. And these players you mentioned already had few x-factors which were at the top-5 in the whole NHL before they even joined the league, or Laine's shot for example.

But because he's the #1 pick he probably won't be sent down, and he has that bright spotlight. For example Drai was playing in the WHL and AHL during his first seasons, Rants gained confidence in the AHL but when you're a #1 it's different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig