Alexis Lafreniere disappointing season start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well at some point you need to start worrying. I remember people saying the same thing about Jonathan Drouin:
"Just relax, he's adjusting to the NHL."
"Not all players can enter the NHL and dominate."
"He'll figure it out eventually."

And before you know it the guy is 25 and is settling in as a 45-55 point mediocre top 6 winger...
Well he’s got six years or so before he’s gone that far so......maybe pump the brakes.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
I’m not going to lie, I’m surprised to see he’s got no points in 4 games and -2 rating considering the talent level he is promised to be.

I saw he was playing with Panarin, but it means he probably had to play RW.

What’s up with him ?
Don't think people are really expecting him to top 50-60 points in any year. He will be a fine middle sixer most of career after he toughens up a bit. For whatever reason he was rated higher than Rossi and Stuetzle by most.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Yes, disappointing start.

No, I am not calling him a bust.

But, I thought he would EXPLODE into the NHL. I was thinking he had a 50% chance at Team Canada at the 2022 Olympics. Based on his potential and the fact he plays left-wing (a position of weakness in the NHL). That is the type of immediate impact I thought he would have.

Granted, the team selection is still 11 months away and he will be halfway through his 2nd season by then.

Also granted, he is only 4 games into his career.

But if he ends up having a 20-30 point rookie season after a 56 game season, then I will be disappointed.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
A couple periods may be, saw him playing with NYR #1C and Kreider. Does it change much ?

Couple? So 2/3?

Which periods did you watch?

And how much of those periods did you watch? This is all relevant with my criticism of you creating this stupid and premature ass thread.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Not sure is the NHL the correct level for him atm.
Rangers rushed with Lafreniére a bit. Its not like they need him, to win games.

Sure he has the what nots to do well in the NHL, but not right now it seems.

Good luck kid!.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Couple? So 2/3?

And how much of those periods did you watch? This is all relevant with my criticism of you creating this stupid and premature ass thread.
Why are you so damn defensive ? It’s okay to discuss, he’s a top level prospect coming to a team with tons of offensive talent, I personally expected him to go on a tear - he already played with Panarin, with Mika, on PP, etc.

Consider this a potential anti jinx thread and he will score 3 points next game

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Not sure is the NHL the correct level for him atm.
Rangers rushed with Lafreniére a bit. Its not like they need him, to win games.

Sure he has the what nots to do well in the NHL, but not right now it seems.

Good luck kid!.
You’re like the third person to suggest he might not be NHL ready.

He’s scoreless and he had 1 mediocre game out of 4. There is NOTHING that he’ll learn or develop playing elsewhere. He 100% is NHL ready and if he were playing elsewhere it would hurt his development.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I find this ranking to be more or less how I remember the hype levels for the recent first overall picks, though Mackinnon might be a little low and I might put him in front of Lafreniere on that list.

Robinson: How Alexis Lafrenière Stacks Up To Previous 1st Overall Picks
I think Lafreniere was more hyped than Kane or Stamkos.

Not as much as Crosby, McDavid, or Tavares.

I also think the Yakupov low ranking is revisionist history.

Yakupov's hype was unbelievable. Doesn't anyone remember the "Fail for Nail" hype and the season-long "I wonder what team will tank for Yakupov" hype?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I think Lafreniere was more hyped than Kane or Stamkos.

Not as much as Crosby, McDavid, or Tavares.

I also think the Yakupov low ranking is revisionist history.

Yakupov's hype was unbelievable. Doesn't anyone remember the "Fail for Nail" hype and the season-long "I wonder what team will tank for Yakupov" hype?
Didn’t Lafreniere win the best CHL player award twice, something that only Crosby did? The hype was warranted

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Didn’t Lafreniere win the best CHL player award twice, something that only Crosby did? The hype was warranted
Yes, he did it twice.

I think Lafreniere was only behind Crosby, McDavid, and Tavares the last 15 years in terms of hype.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
You’re like the third person to suggest he might not be NHL ready.

He’s scoreless and he had 1 mediocre game out of 4. There is NOTHING that he’ll learn or develop playing elsewhere. He 100% is NHL ready and if he were playing elsewhere it would hurt his development.

For confidence sake, development sake, he shouldn't be playing in the NHL, see what Oilers almost did with Drai,
they got smart, but almost made a huge mistake.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Couple? So 2/3?

It’s not stupid and premature. It’s simply a discussion about his first 4 games. Take a deep breath...

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Why are you so damn defensive ? It’s okay to discuss, he’s a top level prospect coming to a team with tons of offensive talent, I personally expected him to go on a tear - he already played with Panarin, with Mika, on PP, etc.

Consider this a potential anti jinx thread and he will score 3 points next game

You’re not discussing him. You’re obviously criticizing him. There’s a difference.

Again — since you conveniently neglected it a first time — Laf started on his offwing tonight on a line that couldn’t get shit going because Mika is still recovering from Covid and Kreider was non existent.

He also had barely any ice time with Panarin.

And I’m not defensive. I just can smell a bullshit hater-thread from a mile away.

You barely watched tonight’s game. And you haven’t seen much of Lafs first three games either. It’s obvious.

raymond23

Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
You’re not discussing him. You’re obviously criticizing him. There’s a difference.

Again — since you conveniently neglected it a first time — Laf started on his offwing tonight on a line that couldn’t get shit going because Mika is still recovering from Covid and Kreider was non existent.

He also had barely any ice time with Panarin.

And I’m not defensive. I just can smell a bullshit hater-thread from a mile away.

You barely watched tonight’s game. And you haven’t seen much of Lafs first three games either. It’s obvious.

You’re defensive af

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
For confidence sake, development sake, he shouldn't be playing in the NHL, see what Oilers almost did with Drai,
they got smart, but almost made a huge mistake.
There is nowhere else to put him.

He has nothing left to do at CHL, and they aren't even playing.

AHL isn't playing either.

Should they let him continue to rot with no game action at all? Or loan him to a European league? Loaning him to a European league risks a lot in terms of injuries.

raymond23

Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
A discussion doesn’t involve “disappointing” when the fact is his start thus far hasn’t been remotely disappointing.

Maybe some of us have higher expectations for him. You should be flattered by that

Not even calling him a bust or anything. Simply a little disappointing...

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
just another player that needs desperately traded to montreal. let the proposals fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad