Alexis Lafreniere disappointing season start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
A discussion doesn’t involve “disappointing” when the fact is his start thus far hasn’t been remotely disappointing.
Perhaps you Rangers fans know more on the matter, but for the neutral fans who saw the Lafreniere hype it’s certainly surprising and in a way disappointing to not see him on a scoresheet 4 games in a row

Reactions: Voight

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Maybe some of us have higher expectations for him. You should be flattered by that

Not even calling him a bust or anything. Simply a little disappointing...
What exactly are your expectations for a 19 year old rookie, playing in a bubble-setting his first year with no pre-season, 4 games into a season with a coach who changes lines numerous times a game because his team is struggling with a 1-3 start?

Reactions: Burkeocet

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
What exactly are your expectations for a 19 year old rookie, playing in a bubble-setting his first year with no pre-season, 4 games into a season with a coach who changes lines numerous times a game because his team is struggling with a 1-3 start?

A point?

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Perhaps you Rangers fans know more on the matter, but for the neutral fans who saw the Lafreniere hype it’s certainly surprising and in a way disappointing to not see him on a scoresheet 4 games in a row
His start is disappointing. I thought he would make an instant impact.

But it is only 4 games.

However, if he ends up with 20-30 points for the whole 56 game season, then I will feel disappointed.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
His start is disappointing. I thought he would make an instant impact.

But it is only 4 games.

However, if he ends up with 20-30 points for the whole 56 game season, then I will feel disappointed.
When Hughes or Hischier came into the league there wasn’t much hype and therefore expectations for them, but Lafreniere is projected to be a Matthews level player.

I personally thought NYR would be a powerhouse this season with what they already had plus additions of Shesty, Laf, etc.

I still think they will have a good season.

Reactions: Voight

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Or injured, like Dach for 5 months.
The risk of injuries is not a good reason to not boost the confidence of your potential star player before he enters the top professional league in the world. Especially when that player had not played in months and did not get a preseason to get acclimated to his new surroundings.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
When Hughes or Hishier came into the league there wasn’t much hype and therefore expectations for them, but Lafreniere is projected to be a Matthews level player.

I personally thought NYR would be a powerhouse this season with what they already had plus additions of Shesty, Laf, etc.

Hughes had oversized hype. I don't think Laf's was much larger.

Reactions: BAM and Voight

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
There is nowhere else to put him.

He has nothing left to do at CHL, and they aren't even playing.

AHL isn't playing either.

Should they let him continue to rot with no game action at all? Or loan him to a European league? Loaning him to a European league risks a lot in terms of injuries.

Ummm. They are playing in the Q thou...they just got back btw. from their brake.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
His numbers in CHL and world junior performance were excellent, like near generational level excellent
Hughes had the most points ever by a USNTDP player and the best 16 year-old USNTDP player season. What Laf pulled off was very impressive, but it's ignoring Hughes hype.

Last edited:

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
When Hughes or Hischier came into the league there wasn’t much hype and therefore expectations for them, but Lafreniere is projected to be a Matthews level player.

Lafreniere was the type of prospect who you felt disappointed when your team didn't win the lottery. Really disappointed. Lafreniere felt like the type of player who could change your franchise.

The same feeling of disappointment at draft lottery failings weren't there with Hughes, and especially not Hischier.

The Rangers season has only just begun though, and there are a lot of games left to have a good season.

Reactions: ViD

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Lafreniere was the type of prospect who you felt disappointed when your team didn't win the lottery. Really disappointed.

The same feeling of disappointment at draft lottery failings weren't there with Hughes, and especially not Hischier.

The Rangers season has only just begun though, and there are a lot of games left to have a good season.
I think teams were very disappointed not to land top 2 in 2019. And, that's more a product of comp than the players who went 1st overall.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

You might target points from a 19 year old rookie 4 games into his NHL career. The people who actually understand hockey don’t. Not after 4 games anyway.

Laf is doing 1 thing wrong thus far - and that’s look for the pass instead of shoot the puck. I’m surprised you haven’t mentioned this considering you have paid keen attention to the various aspects of his game enough to generate this premature thread.

His board work has been solid. His vision and play making abilities is also very evident. The kid skates hard when he’s on the ice. He’s not a roamer. He’s not looking for open ice without the puck in hopes someone does the dirty work to spring him loose.

Instead, He’s battling in the trenches trying to get the puck to spring someone loose.

His IQ has been the most impressive aspect of his game thus far. This is a very cerebral player who is already reading and anticipating plays that veterans don’t.

There was legit concern with Kakko last season. And Hughes even. They’ll both be good players but they both had glaring voids in their game. Anyone who has Laf regularly these 4 measly games will tell you he’s on a different level.

I wouldn’t have ANY issue with this thread if we were 2-3 months into the season. But you started it after 4 games — without watching much of him. That’s why I’m calling you out.

So if he had a worthless and lucky secondary assist, your opinion would be totally different?

LOL. Ok bud. Good to know. A single, insignificant point is all it takes for you to have a different outlook on a player. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I am not exactly evaluating him, I’m more like asking what are the reasons for this slow start

He is a human and humans usually don't work via linear expectations like they do in video games?

Not sure what your deal is, it's quite embarrassing for someone who claims to be a hockey fan to create a thread like this knowing full well the history of MANY hockey greats who take some time to adjust.

You are the type of guy who would trade away players like Martin St. Louis, Joe Thornton and Marc Savard because they don't score 6 hat tricks in their first 2 games.

Reactions: Kupo

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
@Kupo you take it too damn serious, relax a bit
This is the type of response I see from people like yourself who have cornered themselves in a corner and wave a white flag.

:surrender

You literally avoided every single thing I said. Rationale things too. Not incoherent responses in frustration. I took the time to break down certain aspects of his game because you clearly don’t watch him or know wtf you’re talking about.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The Rangers are in the hardest division, and that’s all they get to play the entire season. They’ll get to play Buffalo and New Jersey who are weaker on paper, but the rest of the time they’ll be playing teams fighting for playoff spots. Over and over again.

Rookies usually get the surprise factor of being an unknown commodity, Lafreniere won’t get that opportunity this year. Even if he doesn’t produce well this season, he’ll be fine.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
You are the type of guy who would trade away players like Martin St. Louis, Joe Thornton and Marc Savard because they don't score 6 hat tricks in their first 2 games.
Well, MSL wasn’t drafted and Savard was 91st pick. I don’t know how much hype was behind Jumbo Joe during his draft year.

Lafreniere is a top level prospect with generational potential. It’s perfectly fine people look at him much closer than others

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
You literally avoided every single thing I said. Rationale things too. Not incoherent responses in frustration. I took the time to break down certain aspects of his game because you clearly don’t watch him or know wtf you’re talking about.
Do you have an anger management issue ? Seems like it.

I didn’t follow much of his first 4 games, bits and pieces, hence I came here and asked what’s up with him as it’s perfectly normal for neutral fans to be interested in the first overall pick and be surprised he’s not scored a point

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well, MSL wasn’t drafted and Savard was 91st pick. I don’t know how much hype was behind Jumbo Joe during his draft year.

Lafreniere is a top level prospect with generational potential. It’s perfectly fine people look at him much closer than others
Thornton was the best prospect since Daigle. But, comparing rookie seasons pre-lockout to now is generally pointless. Also, Joe Thornton's rookie season to what he became is such an aberration that it's a terrible reference point.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Do you have an anger management issue ? Seems like it.

I didn’t follow much of his first 4 games, bits and pieces, hence I came here and asked what’s up with him as it’s perfectly normal for neutral fans to be interested in the first overall pick and be surprised he’s not scored a point
I get angry when I see people create threads with a specific goal in mind.

If you were wholeheartedly curious about Laf, why not visit the Rangers forum? We’ll tell you all about him. Good, bad, and ugly. And with the amount of suicidal pessimists on our board, you’ll find the truth.

4 games in and you create a thread asking if a players been disappointing, while liking posts where other members are shitting on Laf, and you could honestly sit there and tell me this thread doesn’t have an angle?

Like, really...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad