Alexis Lafreniere disappointing season start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I’m not going to lie, I’m surprised to see he’s got no points in 4 games and -2 rating considering the talent level he is promised to be.

I saw he was playing with Panarin, but it means he probably had to play RW.

What’s up with him ?
He had a terrific 1st game in a 0-4 loss his first NHL game. He made some very nice passes and was back checking his tail off which every coach, teammate and fan can appreciate.

He was also good our second game where the Rangers beat the Isles 5-0. He should have potted one that game and gotten an apple.

Quinn limited his minutes out third game against NJ, but he played very well and was rewarded with a substantial amount of ice-time in the 3rd period (along with Kakko).

Tonight was his only “bad” game. He started on his off-wing with Kreider and Zibanejad. Zbad is clearly still recovering from Covid. Kreider was pretty much a no show tonight. The line couldn’t get anything going. He bounced around after that.

Just because he has no points doesn’t mean he’s had a disappointing start. He’s A LOT more polished and ready than what we saw from Hughes and Kakko their rookie seasons last year.

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
McDavid had one goal in his first 4 games. I did not watch those games to see how he played but he did not light it up immediately on the score sheet

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
HFBoards got a little fat and greedy I think from the 2013 draft to the 2016 draft.
Where all of a sudden the expectation was that a first overall pick should be able to jump on a team as an 18 year old, score 40 goals or pickup 60 points in their rookie seasons.

It's a process. Guys that ended up damn fine players like Stamkos and Tavares had very average production rookie seasons. Hell, even look at Hughes last year. He was projecting only up to like 30 points before the season got banished into eternity, this season he's PPG+ already.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
We’re not talking Yakupov, Hishier or even Hughes. Lafreniere is projected to be a tier above them.

My point is that some people start off well and collapse, and others start slow and turn into monsters.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
HFBoards got a little fat and greedy I think from the 2013 draft to the 2016 draft.
Where all of a sudden the expectation was that a first overall pick should be able to jump on a team as an 18 year old, score 40 goals or pickup 6
The hype behind Laf was enormous, you gotta admit that, then he’s put on the same line with a Hart finalist. Kinda expecting magic

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I find this ranking to be more or less how I remember the hype levels for the recent first overall picks, though Mackinnon might be a little low and I might put him in front of Lafreniere on that list.

Robinson: How Alexis Lafrenière Stacks Up To Previous 1st Overall Picks
Kane too high, Mack too low. That is what I think at first glance. Kane had a ton of size-related questions among traditional media. Obviously he made anyone who questioned him look like an idiot.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
He looks like he's not ready for the speed of the NHL. It's ok since few players his age are.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I am not exactly evaluating him, I’m more like asking what are the reasons for this slow start
You supposedly watched him tonight. You should have noticed his line was ballsack bad.

Did you watch his three other games by any chance...?

And why did you like a post suggesting the Rangers are known for drafting busts?

I think whatever agenda you have with this thread us starting to take shape.

But enough from me — hopefully you can answer some of the questions I fired your direction.

:popcorn:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
And why did you like a post suggesting the Rangers are known for drafting busts?
Don’t hate, I thought it was a joke

You supposedly watched him tonight. You should have noticed his line was ballsack bad.

Did you watch his three other games by any chance...?
I watched most of today’s game and parts of other NYR games, but I’m not an expect on all things New York hence I’m asking here

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
He hasn't put up points yet, but he looks really good. A little less so tonight than in the other games, but Rangers fans have more pressing things to be concerned about.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Don’t hate, I thought it was a joke

I watched most of today’s game and parts of other NYR games, but I’m not an expect on all things New York hence I’m asking here
Ok. How much of tonight’s game did you watch?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
4 games with no preseason*.

Matthews scoring 4 goals that night threw everyone's expectations for top prospects coming right out of their draft out of whack, and we need to start recognizing his rookie season for what it was, a once in a generation occurence.

Once in a generation? It happened twice that year alone.

Reactions: Voight

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The hype behind Laf was enormous, you gotta admit that, then he’s put on the same line with a Hart finalist. Kinda expecting magic

My give a shit about the NHL draft last year was about a zero, so I honestly have no idea what his hype was.
It's also 4 games. If he scores a hat trick in his next game this is all moot.

He's going to be a good player, he might not just be on in year 1... which is perfectly normal.

Reactions: Kupo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad