Alexis Lafreniere disappointing season start? PART 2

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
People who are writing him off as bust, have no idea what prospect development is. EA NHL players or just boneheaded.
One kid is playing better than the other, doesn't mean it'll end up like that when their careers come to a close.
I'll call Lafreniere a bust if he by his 3rd season he's playing the way he is now.
WAY TOO EARLY, CHILL

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m not buying the whole “he’s better than the box score suggests” argument. Laf is currently a non-impact, redundant player in this league. There are numerous AHLers that bring more to the table than Laf does at this moment.

Yes, he’s got lots of potential. But to tell us that he currently belongs in the NHL by way of an eye test is really reaching. I would question if people are actually watching the Rangers games if they think Laf is underperforming due to bad luck.

What would I find if I looked through your posts about Hughes last year?

You don't seem to get it. The Rangers just called up Jonny Brodzinski, an AHL forward who I suspect you believe would do a lot better than Lafreniere, to play yesterday against the Flyers. He took a bad penalty that led to one goal, and made a terrible turnover in his own zone that caused another player to commit a penalty and led to a second goal. Is that the AHL player you think is better? Are you telling me that all the forwards at the bottom of the Rangers roster like Howden, Gauthier, Di Giuseppe, Blackwell, Rooney, Lemieux are better than Lafreniere?

Your argument boils down to you are looking at a box score, and you don't think his numbers look good. It's an irrelevant argument. There's more to being an NHL'er than point totals.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
What would I find if I looked through your posts about Hughes last year?

You don't seem to get it. The Rangers just called up Jonny Brodzinski, an AHL forward who I suspect you believe would do a lot better than Lafreniere, to play yesterday against the Flyers. He took a bad penalty that led to one goal, and made a terrible turnover in his own zone that caused another player to commit a penalty and led to a second goal. Is that the AHL player you think is better? Are you telling me that all the forwards at the bottom of the Rangers roster like Howden, Gauthier, Di Giuseppe, Blackwell, Rooney, Lemieux are better than Lafreniere?

Your argument boils down to you are looking at a box score, and you don't think his numbers look good. It's an irrelevant argument. There's more to being an NHL'er than point totals.

Yeah just ask at kakko hes a takeaway machine without any points ;)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah just ask at kakko hes a takeaway machine without any points ;)

He’s playing well. Better than Lafreniere. Unfortunately like Lafreniere, no one on the Rangers is finishing chances. It’s 17 games into the season, and even less for Kakko. This stuff evens itself out over a full season. Kakko’s analytics are much better this season. Matches the eye test.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
He’s playing well. Better than Lafreniere. Unfortunately like Lafreniere, no one on the Rangers is finishing chances. It’s 17 games into the season, and even less for Kakko. This stuff evens itself out over a full season. Kakko’s analytics are much better this season. Matches the eye test.
I really hope that kakko turns out good for you guys I miss the time when devils and rangers were true rivals, they still are but we need them to be playoff teams..

Can u answer me a another question?

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
All I will say is Steven Stamkos' 1st 17 games were very similar to Lafreniere's with just 2 goals and 2 assists.

We all know how great of a 1st overall pick he turned out to be. The entire Rangers team other than Panarin is struggling, not just him. How about the 41 goal scorer in 57 games who also has just 2 in 17 so far?

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Clearly a disappointing season so far for Laf. Doesn’t mean he is a bust at this point but not close to the start I was expecting. Can’t get much worse for a first overall pick.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Much better game. Stood up to a tough physical team. Could have had a few more points

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
Not a bust and either is KK; it's too early but I think it takes away some shine from the Rangers FO. They should have had more foresight to say let's let these two players develop at least one mre year instead of burning up a very valuable ELC year. I know it's not done usually for 1st or 2nd OA picks but it would have shown some great forward-thinking if they did. No reason not to.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Not a bust and either is KK; it's too early but I think it takes away some shine from the Rangers FO. They should have had more foresight to say let's let these two players develop at least one mre year instead of burning up a very valuable ELC year. I know it's not done usually for 1st or 2nd OA picks but it would have shown some great forward-thinking if they did. No reason not to.

No reason to not start their clock at 18. When they would become UFAs at 25 or 26 that 7 year extension is much more productive for the length of the deal

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
It’s getting to the point where this guy is actually a bust. Worst 1st overall performance I’ve seen in a while

Oh absolutely, he's already a bust 17 games into his rookie first season in a COVID environment with the whole team mostly struggling on offense for most of the year :rolleyes:

Btw, he has 2 points in his last 3 games, so maybe not the perfect time for that dumb post of yours, lol. I'm guessing you also thought Stamkos was a bust after 17 games?

Last edited:

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
People who are writing him off as bust, have no idea what prospect development is. EA NHL players or just boneheaded.
One kid is playing better than the other, doesn't mean it'll end up like that when their careers come to a close.
I'll call Lafreniere a bust if he by his 3rd season he's playing the way he is now.
WAY TOO EARLY, CHILL

Excellently said. And if Stutzle ends up being as good or better? Good for him... that's only a reflection on Stutzle's stellar play and improvement. Rangers won't care either — they know what they have in Lafreniere — as does anyone who understands the game. It would be awesome if this draft produced two such special players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad