Alexis Lafreniere disappointing season start? PART 2

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
I've metioned this before but the Rangers are a weirdly constructed team. They overpayed a couple of wingers who have already peaked in Panarin and Kreider and threw a bunch of money on an overrated D like Trouba. Zibanejad is approaching washed up level. By the time their young prospects develop into their prime, the aforementioned players will already be on the decline. And the team lacks a quality goalie and no centers. Shesterkin is meh.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kakko's rookie season was bad too but from a production standpoint, this season is looking even worse for him. Sure he may hustle and compete and do all the little things but the bottom line is the guy can't score. He doesn't have that knack for scoring goals that typical forwards should have.

It's too early to judge LaFraniere but all early indications seem that he was overhyped? Has he really stood out in any of the games?

Imagine #1 and #2 picks in back to back years turning into busts? Ouch.

Kakko's playing very well and I think you'd trade your rebuild for ours, but thanks for your concerns.

I've metioned this before but the Rangers are a weirdly constructed team. They overpayed a couple of wingers who have already peaked in Panarin and Kreider and threw a bunch of money on an overrated D like Trouba. Zibanejad is approaching washed up level. By the time their young prospects develop into their prime, the aforementioned players will already be on the decline. And the team lacks a quality goalie and no centers. Shesterkin is meh.

You could've just said you aren't making a serious argument and hate the Rangers. If you actually believe these things it reflects very poorly on your hockey knowledge.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
What a load of bullshit.

Panarin had his beat season ever with us, how is he passed his prime?

Zibanejad had a few injuries then COVID-19, he's still suffering from it.

Such a troll post, grow up kiddo.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
If the question was if Lafreniere was overhyped then the answer is: certainly by some people. There were several posters on this very forum who said he'd be top ten in the league at his position pretty much instantly. I think of all the top prospects he was projected to slip most easily into a NHL line-up this season. That's not quite how it's played out so far. Doesn't mean it won't happen down the road, but he definitely is lagging behind pre-season expectations.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Kakko's playing very well and I think you'd trade your rebuild for ours, but thanks for your concerns.

You could've just said you aren't making a serious argument and hate the Rangers. If you actually believe these things it reflects very poorly on your hockey knowledge.

I disagree. Gorton may have in fact jumped the gun on the rebuild by signing Panarin. Because that put a massive cap on how much leeway the length of this rebuild could last, and now the goal is to try and win in the prime years of the most talented player this team has ever had. Aka the next 3 years but who knows if the rest of the team is going to catch up.

We will be lucky to get 2-3 good years out of Kreider before he becomes an anchor, JUST as this team is getting ready to hit their window?

The Rangers are definitely a weirdly constructed team and are kind of stuck in no man's land right now.

Signing Kreider after trading away Miller and Hayes definitely signifies there was a change in direction post Panarin.

But you are also right that this was just a cheap shot at the Rangers by a Devils fan because signing Panarin and Kreider, and Shesterkin's level of play this season has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

There is a good point buried in that mess of an OP.

Last edited:

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I still wouldn’t be worried if I was a Ranger fan. Regardless of what happens he was the unquestionable right pick to make. I unfortunately haven’t watched him much since I’m blacked out from watching their games but just curious. What are some strengths and weaknesses he’s showing rn?

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Although Lafreniere gives me vibes of Daigle, I wouldn’t be worried if I was a Rangers fan.

Zibenejad is a terrific player yet only has 4pts on the season, that’s more alarming than a rookie not producing, looks to be more than players not producing, it’s deeper than that.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Admittedly I haven't watched any Rangers games this season, but a 2.23 GAA and a .922 SV% this season seems a far cry from "meh."

As for Lafreniere it's too early to call him a bust to be sure, but only 2 goals and no assists in 16 games is very disappointing, especially when he held himself out of the WJC to be better prepared for the NHL season.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
quite a bit off topic by the op lol. If anything the rangers might actually need more veterans. This is something that will probably be addressed next off season when they have some cap room. Obviously, nothing too expensive, but they will probably try to bring in someone that can take control of that locker room better.

Reactions: JaeTM

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Although Lafreniere gives me vibes of Daigle, I wouldn’t be worried if I was a Rangers fan.

Zibenejad is a terrific player yet only has 4pts on the season, that’s more alarming than a rookie not producing, looks to be more than players not producing, it’s deeper than that.
Lafreniere strikes me as a very competitive player. Daigle didn't even like hockey...

Reactions: shello

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

scouting has gotten a lot better since then. Even if a first overall doesn’t become a franchise player they’re still a good chance they’ll be productive good players. Yakupov is the one exception I would say in the last 20 years. He had a good rookie season but it’s clear that it isn’t a talent issue with him.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Laf is going to be just fine. I realize it's been said already, but not every first overall pick is going to be a Connor McDavid, an Auston Matthews.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I have liked his play in each game I have watched of his, he just hasn't come out of them with any points. I would be more concerned if he wasn't involved in the game and making positive plays. It seems many players on the Rangers are having a hard time producing right now. The points will start to come more consistently if he keeps up his positive play.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I disagree. Gorton may have in fact jumped the gun on the rebuild by signing Panarin. Because that put a massive cap on how much leeway the length of this rebuild could last, and now the goal is to try and win in the prime years of the most talented player this team has ever had. Aka the next 3 years but who knows if the rest of the team is going to catch up.

We will be lucky to get 2-3 good years out of Kreider before he becomes an anchor, JUST as this team is getting ready to hit their window?

The Rangers are definitely a weirdly constructed team and are kind of stuck in no man's land right now.

Signing Kreider after trading away Miller and Hayes definitely signifies there was a change in direction post Panarin.

But you are also right that this was just a cheap shot at the Rangers by a Devils fan because signing Panarin and Kreider, and Shesterkin's level of play this season has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

There is a good point buried in that mess of an OP.

I completely agree that there are issues with our organization. I’m not completely convinced by our management, coach, cap situation, and very recently the center ice position going forward has become a huge issue with a 1C gone missing. But I also think we have one of the best futures among teams in the league. Fox and Shestyorkin are big building blocks at premium positions. I don’t love the idea of building around wingers, but it also doesn’t hurt to have an elite winger in Panarin, along with a 1OA and 2OA. We have a very good prospect pool, a bunch of good secondary pieces (Buch, Kreids, Trouba, Miller, Lindgren, Chytil), and an organization that tends to attract players, either on the prospect side (Fox, Hayes, Vesey) or the NHL player side (Panarin, Trouba).

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Admittedly I haven't watched any Rangers games this season, but a 2.23 GAA and a .922 SV% this season seems a far cry from "meh."

I wouldn’t say Shestyorkin has been meh, but he’s not been at his best this season. But that speaks to how good of a goalie he already is. This is pretty much his floor, and he’s producing like a top 10 goalie in the league. His potential is absolutely the Vezina. I don’t know how someone could view his game as meh, but that person only does because they dislike the Rangers.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->