Alexis Lafreniere disappointing season start? PART 2

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
He is also the only 1st overall pick that had to deal with a complete 10 month shutdown in a very important stage of their development and had to come in cold with no rookie minicamp, no training camp (well a week long training camp) and no preseason.
True but my statement still stands. I expect him to have a good career but this season has clearly been a disappointment.

Reactions: Declassified

The Blueprint

Dec 4, 2018
Really embarrassing seeing fans of the sport, especially Canadian hockey fans, actively cheering when a first overall like Lafreniere is struggling.

How quick some are to forget the starts of other high level players in the game, Thornton, Stamkos, Draisaitl...the list goes on. Can't wait for you all to eat crow.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
He is also the only 1st overall pick that had to deal with a complete 10 month shutdown in a very important stage of their development and had to come in cold with no rookie minicamp, no training camp (well a week long training camp) and no preseason.

Which is why it was dumb for the FO to not send him to the WJC. I get the injury risk, but I think the pros would have outweighed the cons. Imagine Laf coming to that training camp in better condition and confidence from a good WJC showing. I feel like he would have been better out of the gate.

Reactions: surixon and HBK27

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Really embarrassing seeing fans of the sport, especially Canadian hockey fans, actively cheering when a first overall like Lafreniere is struggling.

How quick some are to forget the starts of other high level players in the game, Thornton, Stamkos, Draisaitl...the list goes on. Can't wait for you all to eat crow.

I do agree that people shouldn't crap on the kid. I hope he does well.

I think people just hate that the Rangers drafted him and feel it was not deserved.

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
This thread is literally 90% Rags fans liking other Rags fans defensive posts with a 10% sprinkling in of other fans being skeptical of the performance thus far from a 1OA. Maybe 1% of trolls calling him a bust. I think the majority of early criticism of Lafreniere in this thread (and the last) have been justified. He’s been looking better lately, and will likely continue to get better, but you cannot deny it’s been a rough start (due to an extended period of time off or not).

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
This thread is literally 90% Rags fans liking other Rags fans defensive posts with a 10% sprinkling in of other fans being skeptical of the performance thus far from a 1OA. Maybe 1% of trolls calling him a bust. I think the majority of early criticism of Lafreniere in this thread (and the last) have been justified. He’s been looking better lately, and will likely continue to get better, but you cannot deny it’s been a rough start (due to an extended period of time off or not).
Last game was allright from him, but in general he was better in the first few games of the season than lately.

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
The silver lining is that the kid has clearly shown shooting ability and potential. Everything else has been a disappointment

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Stutzle is playing very well

It's way too early to start emotionally hedging on this kid. I don't think the first 40 games say anything intelligent about most prospects to begin with. He certainly doesn't lack talent.

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015

It's way too early to start emotionally hedging on this kid. I don't think the first 40 games say anything intelligent about most prospects to begin with. He certainly doesn't lack talent.
No. He. Isn't.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Not really an apt comparison as Stutzle got 8 games of U20 play at the WJHC prior to joining the Sens. I think Tim is a good example of why Lafrenier should have gone to the WJHC. Tim was able to play big minutes and get into game shape while having a lot of success in the tournament. He was able to hit the ground running in Ottawa with a lot of confidence. Lafrenier on the flip side started his NHL career pretty cold.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
A look at the crossbar he hit last night, for anyone who missed it:

It’s unarguable that he has been disappointing this season so far, but every game I have watched him play he should have picked up a couple points. It’s positively shocking that he only has one assist on the year. He has gotten the “third” assist on the PP several times, and from my viewings he has set up at least a half dozen great chances his teammates simply did not capitalize on.

He has not really showed off his motor at the NHL level, which is surprising, as it is his greatest strength after his IQ. I have zero doubts that he will eventually justify his 1OA selection.

Reactions: Zats Muccarello

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
He’ll be good, I don’t mind if it takes a season or two for him to get there. People are too impatient nowadays, some people will just need time.

Last edited:
Reactions: branch

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
I haven't watched him play a single shift of NHL hockey, full disclosure.

That said, the jump from the CHL to the best league of grown men on the planet is a wide one. Not that some kids don't acclimate quicker, but I would suspect that the increase in size, speed, skill, strength, etc. could feel pretty daunting. It seems that typically with high end prospects, once they find a toehold of confidence they are able to grip their stick a bit looser.

He probably just needs a few points in succession to get rolling.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Not really an apt comparison as Stutzle got 8 games of U20 play at the WJHC prior to joining the Sens. I think Tim is a good example of why Lafrenier should have gone to the WJHC. Tim was able to play big minutes and get into game shape while having a lot of success in the tournament. He was able to hit the ground running in Ottawa with a lot of confidence. Lafrenier on the flip side started his NHL career pretty cold.

I think pointing to 8 games both making and breaking a season is a little dubious

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think pointing to 8 games both making and breaking a season is a little dubious

I never said it made or broke anything. Just saying it helped get Stuzle into game shape.

Also season isn't even half over, Lafrenier coukd catch fire for all we know down the stretch.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Hughes was bad last year but not that bad. Lafreniere is on pace for what 14 points?
Why do Devil fans have to continually display their ignored stepchild syndrome in every thread concerning the Rangers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad