Value of: Alexander Wennberg (CBJ)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Oh, ****ing spare me. That has about as much credibility as "we can dump Bob for Elvis". You really expect the kid to jump out of a decent camp and abruptly become a higher-quality productive #2C, no problems at all?

C'mon. You're better than that.
lets not try Dubois as a 1st line center as he is young and surely wont hold his own in that role... right?
Seriously though, what the hell is this post. Dont come to mains if this stuff drives you this crazy. We do have Dubi and Nash dont forget, Nash is actually a very good player that can slot higher up in the lineup

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
lets not try Dubois as a 1st line center as he is young and surely wont hold his own in that role... right?
Seriously though, what the hell is this post. Dont come to mains if this stuff drives you this crazy. We do have Dubi and Nash dont forget, Nash is actually a very good player that can slot higher up in the lineup
There's a hell of a huge difference between "let's give it a try" and "let's trade away the guy we currently have in favor of this new guy who has yet to do a thing at the NHL level". Trying out Dubois ahead of Wennberg was the former. Trading Wennberg to hand a slot to Stenlund is the latter.

EDIT: And Nash isn't top-6. Indeed, that sort of deal would reduce our number of proven top-6 centers to approximately 0.5 to 0.75, depending on how much confidence one has in the latter half of the season Dubois showed. (I'd be on the higher end of that scale, but that's still way too damn low.)

Last edited:

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Anything of interest from Edmonton?
We'd move him to wing and most likely play him with Drai.

I assume the ask is Nuge and thats not happening, but what about Strome +?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'll say the same thing I'll said before, if it's not an upgrade to Wennberg, we're better off holding on to him as he's still extremely valuable when used right. It's up to Torts to use him properly.

Reactions: Viqsi

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Oh, ****ing spare me. That has about as much credibility as "we can dump Bob for Elvis". You really expect the kid to jump out of a decent camp and abruptly become a higher-quality productive #2C, no problems at all?

C'mon. You're better than that.

Haha. Well I'm not actually advocating the order of events that we trade him and then do tryouts for his replacement. But what we should do is evaluate Stenlund on the big club at some point this year and see what we have. And we should also evaluate Wennberg in a shutdown role. Depending on how things go, it might be advisable to give the 2C role to Stenlund, and move Wennberg or another of our defensive centers. Dumping Bob for Elvis is a straight up downgrade (as would be any move of Bob), but we could improve our scoring from the middle. Getting a more dangerous second unit would do wonders.

Beyond zero interest in Strome. Khaira and a pair of 2nds might work, if we decide we can move Wennberg - which is not where we are at now.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton

Can't imagine Stroke does anything for them. We don't have a centre we'd move for him we prob aren't great partners unless they decide they're ok with futures

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Both Nelson and Eberle have expressed interest in extensions.

Any interest in a Eberle for Wennberg swap?
Lou would likely be open to another team having extension talks with the impending ufas he is shopping.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
A deal around Duchene and Wennberg makes sense to me.

Depending on what Columbus is willing to add this is interesting

At the same time I'm sure Columbus wouldn't make a deal until they know duchenes asking price

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Haha. Well I'm not actually advocating the order of events that we trade him and then do tryouts for his replacement. But what we should do is evaluate Stenlund on the big club at some point this year and see what we have. And we should also evaluate Wennberg in a shutdown role. Depending on how things go, it might be advisable to give the 2C role to Stenlund, and move Wennberg or another of our defensive centers. Dumping Bob for Elvis is a straight up downgrade (as would be any move of Bob), but we could improve our scoring from the middle. Getting a more dangerous second unit would do wonders.
I can agree with Stenlund deserving NHL time to see where we are with him; I just feel like talking about Wennberg trades while thinking of Stenlund as the #2C is putting the cart before the horse.

Reactions: CBJFan827

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Depending on what Columbus is willing to add this is interesting

At the same time I'm sure Columbus wouldn't make a deal until they know duchenes asking price
if it was me I would trade him for duchene even without contract.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Yes but then what if Columbus loses all 3 of Duchene, Panarin, and Bobrovsky in free agency?
Im fine with that too. would kinda suck but sometime life suck. would still suck less than ott fan life.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
if it was me I would trade him for duchene even without contract.

what would cbj add to a potential deal?

Duchene is pretty much exactly what CBJ need.

its a deal that may be more likely to happen once ottawa can bank in a few more points

Im fine with that too. would kinda suck but sometime life suck. would still suck less than ott fan life.

i hate that this statement is true

pled

Sep 7, 2009
what would cbj add to a potential deal?

i hate that this statement is true

I would personally add Milano easily since he need a change of scenery too and conditional picks. maybe a goalie prospect since cbj has many but I guess only if they really think they can resign him

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I would personally add Milano easily since he need a change of scenery too and conditional picks. maybe a goalie prospect since cbj has many but I guess only if they really think they can resign him

instead of a goalie prospect would you have a defense prospect that you would be willing to deal

ottawa needs a bit of everything but as you can imagine defense is a position of weakness now

so something like

wennberg+milano+defense prospect for duchene

with the conditional picks for if he resigns etc etc

just need to tell dorion that cbj isnt in the east

pled

Sep 7, 2009
instead of a goalie prospect would you have a defense prospect that you would be willing to deal

Carlsson is pretty much the only young guy that has upside that could be deal really. there would be Gavrikov but he probably wouldnt be deal if they don't have high hope on resign.

and at least they arent in the same division ?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

ottawa needs a bit of everything but as you can imagine defense is a position of weakness now

so something like

wennberg+milano+defense prospect for duchene

with the conditional picks for if he resigns etc etc

What makes me think it could be possible is getting back a 24 year old C with top 6 upside under contract for 4 more years would probably help Dorion saving face (a little) if he has to trade Duchene.

IDK if CBJ would be willing to trade Wennberg + Carlsson for a rental though.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Carlsson is pretty much the only young guy that has upside that could be deal really. there would be Gavrikov but he probably wouldnt be deal if they don't have high hope on resign.

and at least they arent in the same division ?

gavrikov is a russian and melnyk wont do that

but i would be fine with a wennberg+milano+carlsson+conditional pick for duchene deal

management would love carlssons size and if that means harpur is no longer a thing in ottawa then thats an added bonus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad