Value of: Alexander Wennberg (CBJ)

member 157595

Domi, Wennberg and Drouin on the same line would be quite curious. That line would never ever shoot the puck.

That line needs a breakout. Bring Tomas Kaberle out of retirement, you still won't ever shoot the puck.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think Wennberg should be a good 1 going forward, think the Blue Jackets should give him a yr. or 2 to see how he develops before they trade him.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
I think Wennberg should be a good 1 going forward, think the Blue Jackets should give him a yr. or 2 to see how he develops before they trade him.
the thing is that they want to win right now no in a year or two. and the only real hole they have is at center where wennberg doesnt fit the playstyle of the team.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
However, the shooting is entirely on him. Teams play off of him because they know he won't shoot. This kills possession because they just cover his linemates and take away passing lanes. The coaches have been harping on him to shoot. Torts once even whistled practice down and got a ton of pucks and made him stand there shooting all of them. Still, he refuses to shoot and 'selflessly' passes up prime opportunities to try to set up teammates. A coach can only say so many times that he has to pose two threats because teams can and will eliminate one of them.

the most frustrating is that his shoot aren't even that bad when he makes them. it's not like he had 0 shooting skill.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Our need is a Center who is more physical, aggressive, and can put up points both on and off the PP.

Package for Duchene (OTT) where Wennberg + goes back? This one is tough since Wennberg is under contract for 5 additional seasons and Duchene is UFA.

Taraveinen (CAR) + ?
Donato (BOS) + ?
BOS wouldn't do Donato straight up for him.
CAR probably feels the same way.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
This is his fourth year with the jackets - i think that’s enough time to know what kind of contributions a player makes to one team.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Does his shot suck or he just never shoots?

Those are Henrik Sedin type goal numbers.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Wennberg's problems are that he is not good at faceoffs and absolutely refuses to shoot the puck.

The faceoff thing is what it is. The coaches have been practicing with him for years but he seems just weak at it.

However, the shooting is entirely on him. Teams play off of him because they know he won't shoot. This kills possession because they just cover his linemates and take away passing lanes. The coaches have been harping on him to shoot. Torts once even whistled practice down and got a ton of pucks and made him stand there shooting all of them. Still, he refuses to shoot and 'selflessly' passes up prime opportunities to try to set up teammates. A coach can only say so many times that he has to pose two threats because teams can and will eliminate one of them.

This. Times a thousand. Wennberg has easily become one of the most frustrating players to watch in CBJ history for me, if not the most frustrating.

Last edited:

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013

This is his 5th season as a pro. He has had plenty of time to develop. He is what he is. Has strong potential. But whether he lives up to the potential/ever has a season like his 2016/2017 season remains to be seen.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Does his shot suck or he just never shoots?

Those are Henrik Sedin type goal numbers.

Shot is decent. Nothing spectacular.

To put into perspective just how little he shoots it, he has 11 shots on goal in his last 18 games.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Shot is decent. Nothing spectacular.

To put into perspective just how little he shoots it, he has 11 shots on goal in his last 18 games.
I'm pretty sure he's getting blocked more. He usually does better than that. (Not much better, admittedly.)

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I'm pretty sure he's getting blocked more. He usually does better than that. (Not much better, admittedly.)

I was unable to find how many shots he has attempted over that 18 game span but this year he has attempted 3 shots with 1 of them on goal.

He has attempted 630 shots in his career and has 366 on goal... roughly 58 percent which is horrendous.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I was unable to find how many shots he has attempted over that 18 game span but this year he has attempted 3 shots with 1 of them on goal.

He has attempted 630 shots in his career and has 366 on goal... roughly 58 percent which is horrendous.

This is definitely an under-discussed piece of the equation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad