Value of: Alexander Wennberg (CBJ)

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Has his value really fallen that far? That’s a shame. He was one of my favorite prospects coming out of the 13 draft.

He hasn't really fallen it's more of a play style issue with the team and especially the coach

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
We'd need a replacement center. Drouin is not a center, no matter how much Bergevin tries to insist otherwise.

I get that. I thought about including Plekanec as a C but I know is now a 4C, not a 2C.

On a side note, Drouin has been stricly on LW this year (MB finally seems to have understand he’s not a C)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I get that. I thought about including Plekanec as a C but I know is now a 4C, not a 2C.

On a side note, Drouin has been stricly on LW this year (MB finally seems to have understand he’s not a C)
I understood he'd transferred his delusions to Domi in preseason; I didn't realize that'd stuck. :) Fair enough.

There's circumstances and possibilities in which Drouin would be valuable to the Jackets, that's for sure... but they don't involve us giving up a center, and I don't see the value to Montreal otherwise, so I suspect it's a dead end. :dunno:

Reactions: Hardworker33

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
a replacement center that play a different style and could fit better with the coach ?

its not really that he is bad it's just the fit isn't the best

Are you expecting a C with top 6 potential in return? Or are you guys expecting Abramov to slot in behind Dubois eventually?

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I don't think his value has fallen that low. They're not trying to unload him, they're just frustrated that he isn't an offensive force.
40 Point isn’t really anything to gawk at. He may not be the player most tabbed him to be, but he’d be this leagues perennial 3C.

He hasn't really fallen it's more of a play style issue with the team and especially the coach
Ok... I didn’t know. I take my offer is far off then.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Ok... I didn’t know. I take my offer is far off then.
I mean that happen in every team Torts coach. He is that kind of coach and wennberg seem the kind of player that want to play his own style. doesn't really mean he is bad. need a coach that love a player that like to pass a lot. and play behind his two winger.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Are you expecting a C with top 6 potential in return? Or are you guys expecting Abramov to slot in behind Dubois eventually?
I don't think it would need to be a young C but it would need to be someone that can sit second C for now at least I think since they don't really have any replacement. or a good 3rd C that can fit for the season if theres other good asset with it I guess

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Considered offering horvat for wennberg + Jenner, as horvat seems like a guy Ur coach would love. But I'm sure canuck fans would eat my face.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Problem here is Wenberg's lack of production last year. 43 points in 82 is pretty meh for 2nd line center in this league.

1:1 trade is hard. CBJ needs to sweeten the pot to get 20+20 "shoot a lot" center in trade.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't think it would need to be a young C but it would need to be someone that can sit second C for now at least I think since they don't really have any replacement. or a good 3rd C that can fit for the season if theres other good asset with it I guess

How would Wennberg + 2nd for Gaudette and Sutter sit with you?

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I'll take Paul Byron and a pair of 2nds. I don't know if Jarmo would ever do that though, it's selling low on a 24 year old for a 29 year old.

I'd probably try and do Byron + 2nd + lower pick, but I could be talked into Byron + 2 2nds. We could even make one of them your own 2019 2nd.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Our need is a Center who is more physical, aggressive, and can put up points both on and off the PP.

Package for Duchene (OTT) where Wennberg + goes back? This one is tough since Wennberg is under contract for 5 additional seasons and Duchene is UFA.

Taraveinen (CAR) + ?
Donato (BOS) + ?

Due to their respective contracts, I don't think Columbus would have to add anything to a Wennberg for Duchene swap

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Due to their respective contracts, I don't think Columbus would have to add anything to a Wennberg for Duchene swap
but wennberg could plateau and it wouldnt be as worth. so a prospect could make the deal better. and its impossible that ottawa dont get a conditional pick if duchene resign

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Problem here is Wenberg's lack of production last year. 43 points in 82 is pretty meh for 2nd line center in this league.

1:1 trade is hard. CBJ needs to sweeten the pot to get 20+20 "shoot a lot" center in trade.
I dont think he played all 82 last year? He came in late and had a back injury for part of the year he played through. Problem is he is a pass first guy on a team that needs shooters. Wennberg is a top 6 C just needs a different team. Karlson had the same issue.

Crow

May 19, 2014
what about Wennberg + Murray for DeBrincat?
We already have schmaltz. Sounds like he and wennberg have a similar problem, knowing when to shoot.

Though I will give schmaltz credit for improving in that regard.

And also schmaltz probably creates more goal scoring opportunities for himself. My point is we need debrincat more than wennberg.

Murray is intriguing but short sighted.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The hating-everything-that-is-Wennberg crowd has, by and large, pinned all their hopes on Kevin Stenlund, because he had a really good camp and looks like he could be a decent contributor someday.

* * *​
I think the Jackets should do this and the Habs should not. Short term it might go the other way because Drouin is off his game, but Drouin's talent is harder to find.
Oh, come on. Drouin's never truly been on his game. He's a bit like Wennberg in that respect except with less defensive chops and an inability to play center. He's a valuable scorer, but for Wennberg+? G-d no.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That's terrible for the Jackets.

What would somebody realistically offer for Wennberg then? He's not exactly the pinnacle of consistency.

One 60 point season sandwiched between two 40 point seasons in the last three years. He should be in his prime right now to be honest. It doesn't help to hear all the frustration regarding his play from Jackets fans.

I'm assuming the Jackets don't need futures, so they're expecting either a veteran top six C or a young third line center with top six potential?

Is that really feasible?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad