Value of: Alexander Wennberg (CBJ)

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
For Wennberg to play better. He's not as good as he could be.

No, I don't think Brock Nelson is that. Torts would hate him more. If you want Wennberg for Lee we can talk.

Lee put up more goals than Wennberg put up points last season. This seems like an incredibly unlikely trade.

Reactions: MalkinsPierogi

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
What are the Jackets needs?
A center would be ideal. One that isn’t fearful to shoot the puck when the opportunity presents itself. Without looking it up, i believe Wennberg is under contract for roughly 4.8 million for this season and four additional (2023.)

A RFA Center for at least two more years would be ideal.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Lee put up more goals than Wennberg put up points last season. This seems like an incredibly unlikely trade.
Especially considering the isles just made Lee captain and have reportedly had early extension talks with him.

We are more likely to see Lee extended and impending ufas Eberle & Nelson dealt.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
For Wennberg to play better. He's not as good as he could be.

From what team are you inquiring?
I mean this is really the best option. Was at the game last night - he willingly passed up prime scoring opportunities and settled for passes through traffic.

When he finally did shoot on the CBJ third powerplay he missed putting it on goal. In the preseason he had 1 shot on goal in 4 games and scored.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I mean this is really the best option. Was at the game last night - he willingly passed up prime scoring opportunities and settled for passes through traffic.

When he finally did shoot on the CBJ third powerplay he missed putting it on goal. In the preseason he had 1 shot on goal in 4 games and scored.

Noting that we can't even express what the team needs are, we're probably better off just not trading him and seeing what happens. He's a frustrating player to watch but he's not worthless.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
Noting that we can't even express what the team needs are, we're probably better off just not trading him and seeing what happens. He's a frustrating player to watch but he's not worthless.
Our need is a Center who is more physical, aggressive, and can put up points both on and off the PP.

Package for Duchene (OTT) where Wennberg + goes back? This one is tough since Wennberg is under contract for 5 additional seasons and Duchene is UFA.

Taraveinen (CAR) + ?
Donato (BOS) + ?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Our need is a Center who is more physical, aggressive, and can put up points both on and off the PP.

Package for Duchene (OTT) where Wennberg + goes back? This one is tough since Wennberg is under contract for 5 additional seasons and Duchene is UFA.

Taraveinen (CAR) + ?
Donato (BOS) + ?

Given the contract uncertainty, I'm not sure if Ottawa wouldn't look at Wennberg and a small plus as a decent return for Duchene at this point.

But yes, he would be a very welcome piece for the Jackets.

Reactions: lilfedor

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

Taraveinen (CAR) + ?
Donato (BOS) + ?
No way the Canes offer that.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
This thread is going to be painful for Jackets fans. AW is a talented and still young player who a just over a year ago looked to be on the verge of breaking into that low-end #1/high level #2 center mold coming off a 59-point season as a 22 year-old. Great stuff.

But through in a dreadful 17-18 season and you’ve got a guy with a career high of 13 goals and in his four full years has put up goal totals of 4, 8, 13 and 8. Now sure, he’s always been a playmaker and he can be a valuable two-way presence as well. But you just can’t be a top 6 stalwart with that kind of goal scoring unless you are consistently putting up 45+ assists a year.

He’s probably one of the harder players in the league to gauge value on to be honest. With the right coach and line mates there’s no reason he can’t be the guy from 16-17 again. But no team is going to offer that much for him. And if you are Columbus - given that you have seen that kind of play out of him and given that’s he’s still young, it’s hard to justify shooting him off for a bag of magic beans.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
it’s hard to justify shooting him off for a bag of magic beans.

Well said. Given the circumstance there's no reason to move him.

I should add he's a sterling defensive player, who always keeps goals against very low. But for whatever reason the coach/FO keep trying to groom him into an offensive type player and they don't use him as a shutdown piece. I think his mindset is more geared towards defense, and he'd fit better in that kind of role.

Offensively he needs a sherpa on his line, he seems lost. His best stretches have come with Scott Hartnell and Thomas Vanek directing the play. He scored in bunches with both of those guys.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Given the contract uncertainty, I'm not sure if Ottawa wouldn't look at Wennberg and a small plus as a decent return for Duchene at this point.

But yes, he would be a very welcome piece for the Jackets.

Im sorry what did Car offer?
More like Wennberg ++++++++++++

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Has his value really fallen that far? That’s a shame. He was one of my favorite prospects coming out of the 13 draft.

Goal scoring never really seemed to be his niche, rather, passing/playmaking seems to be his go-to. He’s still a capable 30+ assist maybe 7-10 goal player. Many teams could utilize that as their 3C. Plus, Wennberg is a good 2-way guy.

CBJ: Alexander Wennberg

PHI: 2019 2nd + German Rubtsov + Jordan Weal

Philly really doesn’t have a comparable C to go back, as you then have a hole at C. Weal is probably our most comparable for production standards, albeit worse. You can expect about 2/3 of the same production with a little more offensive flare out of Weal... Hakstol doesn’t like him because his name isn’t Lehtera and he’s undersized.

I thought the margin of difference between Weal + 2nd would be a B+ prospect in German Rubtsov who seems to be a Wennberg 2.0; maybe 2.0 lite.

This is really only if Wennberg has fallen this much in value. My offer may be a step too low, but I don’t think that Philly has the pieces to acquire (fair for both teams) unless you want to do a quantity trade.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
But you just can’t be a top 6 stalwart with that kind of goal scoring unless you are consistently putting up 45+ assists a year.

I think 10G + 40A, with excellent defense, is more than a lot of clubs get out of their 2C, perhaps more than most of them get. It's not as acceptable for a cup contender, and that's the rub.

I'm wondering if Wennberg could emerge later on as a Backlund type, obviously more assist-heavy, but a Backlund type who is noted for tilting the ice in hard minutes. It's hard to gauge - his best attributes seem to be in controlling the play from the neutral zone, but he isn't used in a defensive role.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Has his value really fallen that far? That’s a shame. He was one of my favorite prospects coming out of the 13 draft.

Goal scoring never really seemed to be his niche, rather, passing/playmaking seems to be his go-to. He’s still a capable 30+ assist maybe 7-10 goal player. Many teams could utilize that as their 3C. Plus, Wennberg is a good 2-way guy.

CBJ: Alexander Wennberg

PHI: 2019 2nd + German Rubtsov + Jordan Weal

Philly really doesn’t have a comparable C to go back, as you then have a hole at C. Weal is probably our most comparable for production standards, albeit worse. You can expect about 2/3 of the same production with a little more offensive flare out of Weal... Hakstol doesn’t like him because his name isn’t Lehtera and he’s undersized.

I thought the margin of difference between Weal + 2nd would be a B+ prospect in German Rubtsov who seems to be a Wennberg 2.0; maybe 2.0 lite.

This is really only if Wennberg has fallen this much in value. My offer may be a step too low, but I don’t think that Philly has the pieces to acquire (fair for both teams) unless you want to do a quantity trade.

I don't think his value has fallen that low. They're not trying to unload him, they're just frustrated that he isn't an offensive force.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I’ve been fearful to find the answer to the question... You can see the rift developing with he and Torts. Tie this with Wennbergs refusal to shoot the puck and he’s doing more bad than good for the Jackets.
"More bad than good" and "not the planned role" are not the same thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad