Player Discussion Alexander Romanov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
So you're talking about a player acquired for a 7th at 50% retention?

That's what's moving the needle on this team right now?

Would things be different today if they hadn't made that move? What, the Habs would have swept the Flames the last 3 games?

Look, not trying to be a jack ass here...but we spend so much time talking about insignificant things. There are far bigger issues plaguing this team at this point.
I was talking about poor cap management not the needle on the team. So if you want to jump in keep to the scope of the discussion.

Edit: Also not trying to be an ass but Gustafsson isnt a good D man, and certainly isnt going to fix the habs PP. Better than Mete isnt a reason to play a guy. All he has done is pushed Romanov to the taxi squad out of necessity because the GM painted himself into a corner with the cap and waiver wire.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I was talking about poor cap management not the needle on the team. So if you want to jump in keep to the scope of the discussion.
Same thing lol just Habs fans being dramatic as usual.

Everyone's a capologist lol

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Even if this is true, I believe we can't do anything to have all 3 of those young valuable players on the roster until Price comes back and they send Primeau down.. but even then, they would have to burn the final recall on Romanov and as soon as players are healthy, that means Evans and Caufield can't play.

All over a call-up for Leskinen and Ouellette to play worse hockey than Mete and to acquire two depth defenseman who aren't measurably better than Mete or Kulak,
you hit it on the nail.
Leskinen and Ouellette call ups are fireable offenses by themselves. Trading for players, i am ok with, we might like a player or not, but that is not black or white.
But a mistake of using the call ups for such low level fillers means he knew shit about the rules or is simply beyond an idiot. and for a team the level of Montreal, with all the resources they have, this is simply unacceptable

Reactions: WeThreeKings

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
It's really not that dramatic...if the guys we depended on were playing to the level expected (outside of Toffoli and Anderson), then this issue (Romanov/Caufield/Evans) wouldn't be an issue.

It's an issue because Suzuki/Kotkaniemi are struggling (which is normal), Danault has struggled for most of the year, Tatar is up and down, Drouin sucks ass, Weber is more accurate passing to the opponent than he is his teammates, Jeff Petry has been asleep for 20 games, Price has shit the bed for the better part of this season.

These are the issues that are hurting the team right now...not these insignicant paper transactions.

I know it's easier to focus on those because it helps frame the GM in a certain way...but that's not the issue. The players this team depend on, have failed us (and yes I understand that by extension, it's a reflection on the GM).

So.. things that were predictable happened? That's on the GM.

As for Petry, he could not produce another point this year and it's considered another good year for him. did you think he was gonna keep his pace all year? He's clearly not the reason this team is failing.

Price has been on and off for years now, nothing new. The GM got a good backup, however he is still the one that gave a goalie 10M per season, which should never happen, imo.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's really not that dramatic...if the guys we depended on were playing to the level expected (outside of Toffoli and Anderson), then this issue (Romanov/Caufield/Evans) wouldn't be an issue.

It's an issue because Suzuki/Kotkaniemi are struggling (which is normal), Danault has struggled for most of the year, Tatar is up and down, Drouin sucks ass, Weber is more accurate passing to the opponent than he is his teammates, Jeff Petry has been asleep for 20 games, Price has shit the bed for the better part of this season.

These are the issues that are hurting the team right now...not these insignicant paper transactions.

I know it's easier to focus on those because it helps frame the GM in a certain way...but that's not the issue. The players this team depend on, have failed us (and yes I understand that by extension, it's a reflection on the GM).

As for Petry, he could not produce another point this year and it's considered another good year for him. did you think he was gonna keep his pace all year? He's clearly not the reason this team is failing.

Price has been on and off for years now, nothing new. The GM got a good backup, however he is still the one that gave a goalie 10M per season, which should never happen, imo.[/QUOTE]
So things that were predictable happened? So he was suppose to change the entire structure of the team in one fell swoop? Look...i'm not trying to do a referendum on the GM, there are enough threads dedicated to that.

As for Petry...i've said it before, but this team goes as Jeff Petry goes.

I wasn't expecting him to keep up his pace all year, but he's been shit the last 20 games, he needs to get back to a level approaching what he was like earlier in the year.

As for Price...he signed his deal, time to live with it folks. Continually bringing it up isn't going to change that.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
So things that were predictable happened? So he was suppose to change the entire structure of the team in one fell swoop? Look...i'm not trying to do a referendum on the GM, there are enough threads dedicated to that.

As for Petry...i've said it before, but this team goes as Jeff Petry goes.

I wasn't expecting him to keep up his pace all year, but he's been shit the last 20 games, he needs to get back to a level approaching what he was like earlier in the year.

As for Price...he signed his deal, time to live with it folks. Continually bringing it up isn't going to change that.
the failure of the GM has been one long and slow burn.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Same thing lol just Habs fans being dramatic as usual.

Everyone's a capologist lol
Literally the only reason Romanov is on the taxi squad is because of the Gustafsson trade and no it wouldnt be as much of an issue if they didnt waste call ups on Ouellette and Leskinen. No dramatics, just facts.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
the failure of the GM has been one long and slow burn.
Look...not saying you're right or wrong but judgement day for that isn't today or any time in the immediate.

It would be nice to discuss what's happening right now without having to delve into a state of the union every single time.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Look...not saying you're right or wrong but judgement day for that isn't today or any time in the immediate.

It would be nice to discuss what's happening right now without having to delve into a state of the union every single time.
i mean.. that's what we're doing and you're saying things like "As for Price...he signed his deal, time to live with it folks".. no point in debating when you say that. Obviously it happened and we can't change it. Doesn't mean it doesn't affect the situation right now. It's not like it was made by a past regime, it's the same guy that's been there.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
i mean.. that's what we're doing and you're saying things like "As for Price...he signed his deal, time to live with it folks".. no point in debating when you say that. Obviously it happened and we can't change it. Doesn't mean it doesn't affect the situation right now. It's not like it was made by a past regime, it's the same guy that's been there.
I'm not a big fan of belaboring things, over and over and over and over again, when there's nothing we can do about it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Literally the only reason Romanov is on the taxi squad is because of the Gustafsson trade and no it wouldnt be as much of an issue if they didnt waste call ups on Ouellette and Leskinen. No dramatics, just facts.
Romanov's gonna be fine.

The call up situation will work itself out.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
It's not about what is ailing the Habs (though I do think the constant desire to acquire stay at home guys who can't move the puck out of their end is a big part of why the team sucks) it's just an accurate portrayal of a 9th year GM making rookie ass mistakes which has led to a situation where they can't ice the best roster (which includes Caufield, Evans and Romanov) because of the tinkering bullshit he did that didn't add any real, tangible value to the team.

With all the back and forth in this thread about who the Habs acquired this right here is the problem Bergevin created. It’s worth repeating the Habs are unable to ice the best roster possible to finish the regular season because of how Bergevin mishandled the recall situation and the deadline deals (getting Gustafsson, waiving Mete, etc.). I agree Evans, Caufield, and Romanov should all be in the lineup without needing another player to be injured.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Price has been on and off for years now, nothing new. The GM got a good backup, however he is still the one that gave a goalie 10M per season, which should never happen, imo.

I'm convinced Petry is hampered by some lingering physical issue.

I mean, he hasn't been skating like his usual self for a long time now.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
No lol

This forum is the posters, you have a dozen or so come on here and suck the life out of it, after trades, signings, wins, losses.....it doesn’t matter, they on a loop to come here and make it miserable.....and for what....a hockey game lol

honestly some need to find more hobbies then just bitch after victories and clamour for firings.
LOL. You on MB's payroll?

Reactions: Miller Time

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Edit: Also not trying to be an ass but Gustafsson isnt a good D man, and certainly isnt going to fix the habs PP. Better than Mete isnt a reason to play a guy. All he has done is pushed Romanov to the taxi squad out of necessity because the GM painted himself into a corner with the cap and waiver wire
I wasn't suggesting Gustafsson is a good Dman, just that he has a use...he can be used situationally.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Unless you don't have the puck.

Romanov or no Romanov...he's not going to be the reason why the Habs win or lose.

He's been our most physical D man this year is the point I was making...so without that physicality in the lineup, who's taking over??...and yes, the lack of physicality can certainly be a reason that a team loses...so the point I made is very valid to the situation...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He's been our most physical D man this year is the point I was making...so without that physicality in the lineup, who's taking over??...and yes, the lack of physicality can certainly be a reason that a team loses...so the point I made is very valid to the situation...
He's played every game against the Leafs this year and as far as I know, the Habs don't have a winning record against the Leafs.

I love ROmanov just as much as the next man, but let's stop acting his like his presence will affect the outcome of this game either way.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
He's played every game against the Leafs this year and as far as I know, the Habs don't have a winning record against the Leafs.

I love ROmanov just as much as the next man, but let's stop acting his like his presence will affect the outcome of this game either way.

...so answer the question, then; who is going to replace that physicality in the lineup??..The Stare??...yeah, he's had a wonderful season...Chairot's physical but braindead and will chase a hit until he's soo far out of position that it's like we only have one Dman on the ice...especially against the Laffs, physicality is a must to throw them off their game and it has worked for this less-talented team...so not having him in the lineup hurts, plain and simple...you're not providing any counter here except "it doesn't matter", which is nothing more than a poorly devised and completely inaccurate one...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
...so answer the question, then; who is going to replace that physicality in the lineup??..The Stare??...yeah, he's had a wonderful season...Chairot's physical but braindead and will chase a hit until he's soo far out of position that it's like we only have one Dman on the ice...especially against the Laffs, physicality is a must to throw them off their game and it has worked for this less-talented team...so not having him in the lineup hurts, plain and simple...you're not providing any counter here except "it doesn't matter", which is nothing more than a poorly devised and completely inaccurate one...
I don't care about that...I want the Habs to do what they didn't do against the Flames for 3 games and that's play with the puck and force the other team to chase THEM.

I don't care about winning the biggest hit battle.

I mean, you act like the Habs won every single game against the leafs that Romanov played in. They didn't.

So i'm not sure why you want to frame it in a way that he's crucial to the outcome of this game.

He's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad