Player Discussion Alexander Romanov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Smooth ass skater, also a good reason why I don't think picking defenders in the first round is a good idea.

Juulsen, Guhle, Sergachev, McDonagh, Beaulieu
Subban, Romanov, Mete, Fleury, Brook

(Its also true league wide)

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Smooth ass skater, also a good reason why I don't think picking defenders in the first round is a good idea.

Sergachev and McDonagh were great picks and Guhle looks good so far too, so not sure that part proves your point about not picking defenseman in the first round.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sergachev and McDonagh were great picks and Guhle looks good so far too, so not sure that part proves your point about not picking defenseman in the first round.
Literally every player picked in the first round has a counter in the 2nd round, the point is theres diminishing returns in picking defenders in the first because those guys are available in the later rounds.

Reactions: JakeFromStateFarm

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Yeah, so you miss out on McDonagh, who was the BPA in the first round (you could argue Pacioretty) at that position. Sounds like a terrible way to draft. And you skip Karlsson and Carlson for... Who exactly ?

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Yeah, so you miss out on McDonagh, who was the BPA in the first round (you could argue Pacioretty) at that position. Sounds like a terrible way to draft. And you skip Karlsson and Carlson for... Who exactly ?

Joe Colborne and Victor Tikhonov, duh.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I was going to treat myself to a blank reverse retro but 3 games in I’m already debating with myself to make it a Romanov one instead. Lol.

Reactions: Redux91

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Sure, you can always cherry pick those years, but as a whole youll come out on top.

Also Id say theres a difference between picking Juulsens, Tinordis and Guhle and picking Karlssons and Hughes and etc.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Sure, you can always cherry pick those years, but as a whole youll come out on top.

Also Id say theres a difference between picking Juulsens, Tinordis and Guhle and picking Karlssons and Hughes and etc.

It's not a cherry pick when it happens every year and usually multiple times in the first round of any given year. Why would you even limit your BPA list like that ? What's the logic ? Hey, were not going to draft this superior player we project well because we might get another good player later on ? Here's an idea: draft both. Like the Habs did with McDonagh and Subban.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Guhle was impressive at the u20 considering the rank he was drafted. I was a lot more impressed by him than Caufield personally. I think he'll be at worst a solid top 4.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's not a cherry pick when it happens every year and usually multiple times in the first round of any given year. Why would you even limit your BPA list like that ? What's the logic ? Hey, were not going to draft this superior player we project well because we might get another good player later on ? Here's an idea: draft both. Like the Habs did with McDonagh and Subban.
But in this hypothetical wouldn't you rather have Subban and Pac ?

Its just a fact that there's just as many quality defensemen that come from rounds 2 and 3 than rounds 1, but there's more forward coming from the first round that end up being good. It's easier to scout a young forwards fundamental game than it is a defenseman.

Reactions: calder candidate

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
But in this hypothetical wouldn't you rather have Subban and Pac ?

Its just a fact that there's just as many quality defensemen that come from rounds 2 and 3 than rounds 1, but there's more forward coming from the first round that end up being good. It's easier to scout a young forwards fundamental game than it is a defenseman.

There might be as many, I haven't verified, I generally agree with your premise, but I think it's more of a crapshoot outside the first round. You have a better chance of getting the right guy in the first round even though there are options available in 2rd +. I prefer to draft forwards in the first round, but depending on draft position and draft quality it's not as simple as saying always pick forwards in the first round.

One thing I would never do is draft a goalie top5-10, or perhaps even in the first round. I know Price has worked out for us, but I still don't think it's a good approach. They just don't carry the same value league wide due to the limited amount of starters and the difficulty in predicting their long term development.

To me, the first round is for getting your elite talent, ie forwards usually, but in some situations you might be forced to pick the dman if all the high end, can't miss forwards are off the board and a true stud dman is available.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Back to Romanov, this guy is so damn smooth out there. So smart and aware at his age. It's hard to remember, a 21 year old dman with this kind of iq, talent, passion, drive and composure at this age for us. He doesn't shy away or get intimidated. The sky is the limit for this kid. Could be a number 1 in the future imo. It's hard to find a glaring weakness and he's just a baby.

Reactions: cphabs

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
On his skating and physical play alone his floor is already high, but then you add in his great IQ and solid puck skills/shot and he's easily a second pairing D.

I think his complete game will probably have him end up being a #2, borderline #1. Right now he's just trying to keep up and not make mistakes, and when he starts to feel more comfortable I think we'll get a better idea of whether he can control a game and be the driving force on the ice.

Whatever happens, Romanov is going to be a rock for us back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->