Player Discussion Alexander Romanov

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Interesting stat, Mete had 7 points in 49 games in his rookie year at 19 years old while getting little opportunity to develop offensively/no PP time.

Romanov has 6 points in 48 games. Wonder how long until the reason he doesn't develop its blamed on him never having offensive ability.

I never was very high on his offensive upside, as he's didn't get much of a chance to work on it in the KHL and now the NHL. He's got the big shot but he spent key development years playing as a 5th to 7th D outside of a few WJC or international tournaments. He's got the big shot and can move the puck, so he could develop his offensive game more in time just that it's hard to project when he hasn't had much of a chance to do so during these key development years.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
With all the excitement over Cole's OT winner I kind of forgot Romanov got into his first NHL fight (is it his first ever pro fight?).

I don't like seeing him do that, especially because it seemed like he didn't need to, but hardly surprising with how many guys he's laid out this year. Beautiful hit though.

He's been a little off since the Weber injury. He's making mistakes, but personally, I think it's great for Romanov to get this development time playing top minutes. Playing sheltered 3rd pair can enforce bad habits or tactics that don't work against the world's best.

Apparently he's a pretty quick learner, so I'm sure he'll clean up his recent mistakes defensively.

Somebody needs to teach him how to fight, he didn't know what to do when he was grabbed.

Reactions: Shabs

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
He's got some nice elevation and whip on his shot tho. Walking the line/getting quality shots thru is probably one of the hardest things to do at the NHL level, i think he will figure it out. I dont see him being a 40 points guy or anything but he's got some offensive upside imo. Most of his mistakes are the ones you'd see rookies make but its nice to see him play with confidence defensively

Reactions: NewDef

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
I think his offensive creativity is limited, but he can still develop into a D that can put up decent points, maybe around 30ish per year if he develops his offensive game. He's got the physical tools.

He reminds me of Mathieu Schneider (the number helps) in how he skates with his head up. I don't think he has the same offense, but he's stronger and more agile.

The Price is Right

Jul 3, 2008
Not impressed with him. Too many turnovers in the O zone leaving to breakways and 2 on 1. Takes some really bad decisions. I know he is young and playing in Weber spot but he needs to step it up.

I really thought he had potential offensively at least a 20 point guy to start but really doubting it. I think Habs management overhyped him. He is a solid player but I see him as a #4 or #5 not top 2 for sure

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Give him time! He doesn’t even speak good English yet. He will be a gamer. You guys are so pessimistic awful

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Not impressed with him. Too many turnovers in the O zone leaving to breakways and 2 on 1. Takes some really bad decisions. I know he is young and playing in Weber spot but he needs to step it up.

I really thought he had potential offensively at least a 20 point guy to start but really doubting it. I think Habs management overhyped him. He is a solid player but I see him as a #4 or #5 not top 2 for sure

He's a rookie. He needs to "step it up" ? He's already playing as best he can. He's not a 10 year veteran underperforming.

Some of you are legitimately out of touch with reality.

Last edited:

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL

He’s played 50 NHL games without hardly any practice time. Is that enough to project his future potential?

Reactions: le_sean

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He’s played 50 NHL games without hardly any practice time. Is that enough to project his future potential?

No training camp or exhibition games. Just thrown to the wolves. He’s likely fatigued but not showing it in his effort.

As for the offence like Mete comment, I’d say it’s unfair. At least we know Romanov has the semblance of a shot. He just needs it to get through. I don’t ever expect big numbers but the potential for 25-30 is there.

Reactions: DAChampion

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He had a rough night last night, not unlike many of his veteran teammates have had this year.

We need to stop blaming age for performance, unless we're willing to do the same for all ages.

There's nothing more annoying watching an NHL broadcast and hearing Pierre Houde blame "inexperience" every time Romanov has a mistake.

While simultaneously ignoring every mistake made by veterans.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Talent : 9/10
Aggressiveness : 10/10
Hitting ability : 10/10
Skating : 9/10

Positioning : 5/10
Decision making : 5/10

The last two will come with more experience. The first four will make him a star within a few years.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Talent : 9/10
Aggressiveness : 10/10
Hitting ability : 10/10
Skating : 9/10

Positioning : 5/10
Decision making : 5/10

The last two will come with more experience. The first four will make him a star within a few years.
Exactly, I'm not worried at all. He will be a very good dman and I know he's eager to learn and fix his mistakes.

He's not ready to play on the top pairing though, this is where he struggled the most this year, gotta help the kid.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

MB has stated from the beginning Romanov will likely not be a points producer but will excel at a heavy in your face game w very good puck transition while eating up heavy TOI and strong lateral mobility....

His on ice performance this season only validates MBs take as Romanov gains experience in NHL / North American ice surface

Reactions: Vachon23

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The way hes deployed is perfect for his development. Nothing like working on the job. Kids going to be great.

This is how every rookie should be deployed. When you think theyre ready for the NHL, slot them in the position you expecr them to play out their career.

Reactions: Andrei79

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site

I know its not all him, but since he's taken Webers spot, they're 3-0 and the PP has been scoring. I do think he's best suited as a second pairing guy for now though.
Quite honestly, Weber and Chiarot have looked piss poor most of the season, and they're vets. Romanov didn't look any worse than them.

Reactions: 417

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Romanov has been spotty defensively for the better part of the year but that's how it goes with rookies. You can see the potential in being good defensively he just needs experience.

Offensively, he might be a 25 point guy, which is fine. He moves the puck up quick and that's more important.

He'll be a very solid and physical 2nd pairing, penalty killer who gets the puck out of his zone consistently. I'll take it

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Romanov has been spotty defensively for the better part of the year but that's how it goes with rookies. You can see the potential in being good defensively he just needs experience.

Offensively, he might be a 25 point guy, which is fine. He moves the puck up quick and that's more important.

He'll be a very solid and physical 2nd pairing, penalty killer who gets the puck out of his zone consistently. I'll take it
No offense - but are you guys watching the same games?

You think that's how it goes with rookies?

Have you paid attention to the play of our veterans this year? Have Weber, Chiarot, Kulak, etc, not also been spotty defensively?

Reactions: Andrei79

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
No offense - but are you guys watching the same games?

You think that's how it goes with rookies?

Have you paid attention to the play of our veterans this year? Have Weber, Chiarot, Kulak, etc, not also been spotty defensively?
But we're talking about Romanov and his play...in the Romanov thread. Maybe you aren't paying attention, just saying

Reactions: Vachon23

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
But we're talking about Romanov and his play...in the Romanov thread. Maybe you aren't paying attention, just saying
I just don't get why people need to keep perpetuating the oft-repeated myth that rookies and/or young players are more prone to mistakes.

It's completely false...it's just a narrative fans/media have come to accept as real.

Even coaches do...thats why you see them stubbornly sticking with mistake prone vets while admonishing any mistake by young players.

It's just tired man...

Mistakes are a part of the game...doesn't matter what amount of experience one has.

Reactions: Sorinth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->