Player Discussion Alexander Romanov

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
So.. things that were predictable happened? That's on the GM.

As for Petry, he could not produce another point this year and it's considered another good year for him. did you think he was gonna keep his pace all year? He's clearly not the reason this team is failing.

Price has been on and off for years now, nothing new. The GM got a good backup, however he is still the one that gave a goalie 10M per season, which should never happen, imo.
I didn't like it either when it happened but you have to remember it was at the time where he was literally carrying the team nightly, and star players around the league were all getting the 10+ mil contracts...the timing of it all really sucked for us.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Unless you don't have the puck.

Romanov or no Romanov...he's not going to be the reason why the Habs win or lose.
Do you think the habs are icing the best roster they can with the players they have available? Taxi squad included for clarity. Dont come back with the moving the needle stuff, just yes or no.

Also I dont know how you can claim people are belaboring something that just happened yesterday and has been discussed for one day.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Do you think the habs are icing the best roster they can with the players they have available? Taxi squad included for clarity. Dont come back with the moving the needle stuff, just yes or no.
Has nothing to do with moving the needle, the way you're framing the question is disingenuous.

Do I prefer the defense with Romanov on it rather than Gustafsson? Of course I do.

Do I think either or plays a role significant enough to matter? No, I don't.

So sorry...I know you want a yes or no action, but it's just not that simple.

Also I dont know how you can claim people are belaboring something that just happened yesterday and has been discussed for one day.
Man the whining about the cap management and roster issues surrounding guys who are on the periphery of the team has been going on for 2 weeks. It's nauseating at this point.

Whether Romanov or Gustafsson or Kulak or Merril or Mete are playing...it doesn't change the fortunes of this team.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I don't care about that...I want the Habs to do what they didn't do against the Flames for 3 games and that's play with the puck and force the other team to chase THEM.

I don't care about winning the biggest hit battle.

I mean, you act like the Habs won every single game against the leafs that Romanov played in. They didn't.

So i'm not sure why you want to frame it in a way that he's crucial to the outcome of this game.

He's not.

...you're pretending that physicality doesn't matter when it comes to puck possession and that's just dead wrong...I never said we live and die by Romanov but to deny that he's been an important part of our D this year and by far our best physical defenseman is just blatantly denying facts...if you don't care, fine whatever - that's you...ignore it, since you don't think it matters, and stop bitching about other posters discussing it, since we do think it's a relevant topic of discussion...

Reactions: Habs Halifax

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
...you're pretending that physicality doesn't matter when it comes to puck possession and that's just dead wrong...
I haven't done that at all.

I never said we live and die by Romanov but to deny that he's been an important part of our D this year and by far our best physical defenseman is just blatantly denying facts...if you don't care, fine whatever - that's you...ignore it, since you don't think it matters, and stop bitching about other posters discussing it, since we do think it's a relevant topic of discussion...
That wasn't what I was "bitching" about.

But sure...either way.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
With all the excitement over Cole's OT winner I kind of forgot Romanov got into his first NHL fight (is it his first ever pro fight?).

I don't like seeing him do that, especially because it seemed like he didn't need to, but hardly surprising with how many guys he's laid out this year. Beautiful hit though.

He's been a little off since the Weber injury. He's making mistakes, but personally, I think it's great for Romanov to get this development time playing top minutes. Playing sheltered 3rd pair can enforce bad habits or tactics that don't work against the world's best.

Apparently he's a pretty quick learner, so I'm sure he'll clean up his recent mistakes defensively.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
with this super condensed schedule, I think sitting a game is a good idea. Not so much physically as mentally, playing what is 17 games in 30 days or so, that's f***ing insane and who knows how tough it is on a rookie or young guys like Suzuki and KK.

I agree, but the bizarre thing in Suzuki's case is that he's turned his switch on all of sudden at a time where you expect fatigue to be a big factor.

I'm not sure how to explain his improved game in the last little while.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I agree, but the bizarre thing in Suzuki's case is that he's turned his switch on all of sudden at a time where you expect fatigue to be a big factor.

I'm not sure how to explain his improved game in the last little while.

who knows as look at Petry, the guy was in the talk for the Norris and then goes 22 games without a goal. how do we explain that? Tomorrow they play their 19th game in 33 days, that's just insane. Clearly many players have hit a wall at different points, some look to be breaking through it, others not at all. What does that mean, I don't know.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
who knows as look at Petry, the guy was in the talk for the Norris and then goes 22 games without a goal. how do we explain that? Tomorrow they play their 19th game in 33 days, that's just insane. Clearly many players have hit a wall at different points, some look to be breaking through it, others not at all. What does that mean, I don't know.

In Petry's case, I've been thinking he's playing through something. I think it was quite noticeable that he's not moving the way he was earlier in the year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
In Petry's case, I've been thinking he's playing through something. I think it was quite noticeable that he's not moving the way he was earlier in the year.

i can't say since I haven't seen every game, he seemed to be moving fine last night and I hadn't noticed any change in his skating. That said I'm sure a lot of these guys are playing through something or other. They just need to get this insane schedule over with already.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
With all the excitement over Cole's OT winner I kind of forgot Romanov got into his first NHL fight (is it his first ever pro fight?).

I don't like seeing him do that, especially because it seemed like he didn't need to, but hardly surprising with how many guys he's laid out this year. Beautiful hit though.

He's been a little off since the Weber injury. He's making mistakes, but personally, I think it's great for Romanov to get this development time playing top minutes. Playing sheltered 3rd pair can enforce bad habits or tactics that don't work against the world's best.

Apparently he's a pretty quick learner, so I'm sure he'll clean up his recent mistakes defensively.

Less than the guy he's replacing...

Reactions: Canadienna

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

I think he was just playing through fatigue. This is an awfully difficult season and the team relies on him for offence from the backend since no other defenceman on the team provides any.

Reactions: Trash Man

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I think he was just playing through fatigue. This is an awfully difficult season and the team relies on him for offence from the backend since no other defenceman on the team provides any.
His inconsistencies are the reason he's never been a legitimate #1 defenseman. He has all the tools a player could ask for, it's his mind that always fumbles and creates issues for him.

Reactions: le_sean

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Interesting stat, Mete had 7 points in 49 games in his rookie year at 19 years old while getting little opportunity to develop offensively/no PP time.

Romanov has 6 points in 48 games. Wonder how long until the reason he doesn't develop its blamed on him never having offensive ability.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Interesting stat, Mete had 7 points in 49 games in his rookie year at 19 years old while getting little opportunity to develop offensively/no PP time.

Romanov has 6 points in 48 games. Wonder how long until the reason he doesn't develop its blamed on him never having offensive ability.
I dont think he has offensive upside. His decision with the puck are questionnable in the O-zone. His shot decisions as well. But he has a good first pass. He's in the Gavrikov, Orlov mold and that's perfect. Good D and 20-30 points a year is fine for him. People were expecting too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad