Player Discussion Alexander Romanov

Status
Not open for further replies.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Before sending him to the AHL, I would swap Chiarot and Mete.

Chiarot would be a more reliable partner for Romanov, plus he'd benefit from not being in the top 4.

Mete has played decent with Weber in the past and his speed is much needed on that pair. Plus, with a more reliable third pair the Weber pairing wouldn't need to play as much.

I agree. That's also what I feel should be done.

Reactions: Holystik and Mrb1p

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
i HATE what this organization is doing.

Most gifted blueliner in several years, being nuteured into a placid herbivore by this dinosaur of a coach.

what a SAD time to be a habs fan =((((
Romanov has been struggling, the league has adjusted to his game - it’s got nothing to do with a dinosaur coach. He’s 20 year old rookie who’s learning and struggling, all part of the NHL learning curve.

Reactions: 1909

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Romanov has been struggling, the league has adjusted to his game - it’s got nothing to do with a dinosaur coach. He’s 20 year old rookie who’s learning and struggling, all part of the NHL learning curve.

Yes & no.

Confidence is a factor. Our approach isn't helping at all.

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
He was playing super aggressive early on but Julien probably told him to "simplify his game".

Now we have Chariot doing it instead.

Just pathetic. Imagine if Julien would've coached Karlsson in Ottawa. I can't make the difference between Kulak and Romanov now.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I thought that Romanov played a good game last night against the Jets. He had four shots on net and one of which he hit the post. He was stepping up into the play. I would love to see him get a better chance.

So far the Petry - Edmundson pairing has been the best. It is a stay at home defensive defenceman and a guy who can join the play. I think those tend to be the best combos. This is what I would love to see.

Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - Weber
Chariot - Mete

Give more of a leash to Romanov. Let him skate and join the play a bit more. Weber will be back to cover for him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I thought he was excelling last game, one of our best? Tons of shots , moved the puck like a champ.

He may be ready to eat serious minutes. I'd see how he does with 20, then 22...

Reactions: Habs

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
It's the Canadien way. Development is sooo over rated. Just throw them out there and see what sticks, look how well that worked for Chucky, and Mete, and KK, and Delarose, and McCarron.
I don't think it was development as much as poor scouting and drafting. Galchenyuk,McCarron and De La Rose in particular were all horrible hockey players and should never have been picked.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I'm not saying he should be promoted to top 2d yet but all of the other defenseman are utter trash. He gets bailed once in a while by Kulak but that's Kulak's job. Why are they not playing him with the mountain man?

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I don't think it was development as much as poor scouting and drafting. Galchenyuk,McCarron and De La Rose in particular were all horrible hockey players and should never have been picked.

At the time Galchenyuk was the obvious choice, Reilly is the only alternative discussed and he generally wasn't considered top 3 at the time. Who would you have taken instead of De La Rose? Lehkonen? They drafted him anyway. McCarron was a reach but there just aren't that many great scorers available in that draft. Some D but not that many, and not that good. The habs had some bad drafts but those particular picks didn't hurt them. I'd say the problems with habs drafts are:
-drafting for need (McCarron, big slow defencemen)
-trading picks/young guys for older players. With the cap the early years are worth more than the late ones
-bad drafts in years they had high picks. Compare top 10 of the 2012 draft to 2011 or any of the more recent ones. Unlucky, but should have taken D.

Romanov has been great and would be better if the D as a whole were better. Weird that Edmundson looked so good early, but I guess Vancouver is just that bad. Longer term Romanov is one of the few D likely to be good. Weber is old, Chiarot and Edmundson are limited, Petry is sort of old, Kulak is so-so, and Mete could go either way. Have to hope that Fleury and Brook recover from bad seasons, and that Harris, Struble, Guhle, and Norlinder have smooth pro transitions.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

Heat missile deployed.

He's starting to look a lot more like he did in the beginning of the season, getting quality shots off and being a presence.

Hopefully someone just told him to go out there and play/stop overthinking. He may make a rookie mistake or two (they all do) but this is when he's at his best and this is how we want him playing consistently.

Reactions: Jesperi Suzuki

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
He seems so much more engaged in the game now. Feels like he's playing his natural game. It's a matter of time before he's playing with Weber.

I couldn't watch last night because of the dang blackouts, but based on what I saw in Winnipeg and the clip of that big hit last night, it looks like the reigns have been loosened a bit for him. There was a sequence in Winnipeg where he skated around the blue line, moving the puck around a couple Jets. No way he was doing anything like that for about 12 games prior.

I mean, if he missed that hit last night, he would had put the team in a bad spot positionally, but for a young player like him, this is how he'll learn.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I couldn't watch last night because of the dang blackouts, but based on what I saw in Winnipeg and the clip of that big hit last night, it looks like the reigns have been loosened a bit for him. There was a sequence in Winnipeg where he skated around the blue line, moving the puck around a couple Jets. No way he was doing anything like that for about 12 games prior.

I mean, if he missed that hit last night, he would had put the team in a bad spot positionally, but for a young player like him, this is how he'll learn.

He seems to pick his spots well. I can’t really remember a time where he went for a big hit, missed and it became an odd man rush the other way. I mean it’s likely happened but the fact I can’t remember it means it’s rare.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
He seems to pick his spots well. I can’t really remember a time where he went for a big hit, missed and it became an odd man rush the other way. I mean it’s likely happened but the fact I can’t remember it means it’s rare.

Oh, I wasn't implying he shouldn't do this or being upset for trying and not considering the risk. He certainly picked his spot and it was awesome to see.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Night and day from when Julien was coaching. The kid can breathe and he makes plays, pinches like a stud and hits. I love it.

He missed one in his first few games and he never tried it again after. Probably got a hearful from Clod.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
We need him to play way more! What he brings that's most important is TEMPO and ENERGY. We badly need the team to be energized and playing him more could impact the rest of the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad