Player Discussion Alexander Romanov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I love the kid, and I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion, but I think he could use some time in Laval.
He absolutely needs to be sent down and that's not a bad thing. His game has been horrific for a while and some time down in Laval will be so beneficial to him and the big club. I wish we could land a veteran D man to help out of the 3rd pairing.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
A lot of people also forget how brutal he was in that Rangers playoff series that year. The Rangers' big strategy was soft dump into his corner and rush him, and it worked well. Weber who had an excellent series carried him and prevented that from being a disaster but Markov's weakness was exposed big time and any other partner would have been ugly. Him asking for 2 years was ridiculous, maybe Bergevin even entertains 1 year at 5 or 6 million but Markov demanded 2 at premium $ amount and then flew off as soon as that was not accepted.

Most people do remember the playoffs against the Rangers and that's why he wasn't going to be getting more than 5-6m. Also he was willing to accept the 1 year deal. 3m was straight up insulting.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
But Weber is playing the 1st pair (more TOI and against the best players). Kulak/Mete on a 3rd pair are ok, they are playing sheltered minutes against bottom 6 forward. I agree that Romanov playing style is probably a better fit with Weber then Chiarot is but I'm just not sure he's ready for that role right now. When he will play with confident on the 3rd pair like he was playing the first 5 games, then I will be ready to put him with Weber. A thing though where I could agree is that where playing the Sens tomorrow and they don't have the firepower on there top line like the other Canadian team have.
Sure, Webber is currently on the first pair, but do you think he's playing well over the last 4-6 games? I don't. He looks slow and tired and isn't having much impact lately, other than munching minutes. I think his minutes need to be reduced, same with Chariot's and I feel Romanov's minutes should be expanded, which is why I think Webber and Romanov should be on the second pair. Chariot has shown he can't handle the pace and minutes of the first pairing and is taking way too many penalties because of it.

It's basically the same thing happening upfront with Danualt. He's eating minutes but doing nothing positive with them. IMO he needs to go down to the third line and KK needs to play more and with better players. Watching this team over the last few games, they've been really flat and haven't shown the same speed and intensity that was winning them games at the start of the season. To me, Romanov and KK are players who have been creating energy and having a positive impact lately, but with their current roles and minutes, it's not impacting the game enough to potentially change the outcome.

The team's breakout is also really struggling (which isn't really a surprise). To me, Petry, Romanov and Mete (but not to the same degree) are the better transition players, so they need to play more, otherwise, it's going to be more of the same and the team will continue to drop in the standings.

Last edited:
Reactions: azcanuck

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Sure, Webber is currently on the first pair, but do you think he's playing well over the last 4-6 games? I don't. He looks slow and tired and isn't having much impact lately, other than munching minutes. I think his minutes need to be reduced, same with Chariot's and I feel Romanov's minutes should be expanded, which is why I think Webber and Romanov should be on the second pair. Chariot has shown he can't handle the pace and minutes of the first pairing and is taking way too many penalties because of it.

It's basically the same thing happening upfront with Danualt. He's eating minutes but doing nothing positive with them. IMO he needs to go down to the third line and KK needs to play more and with better players. Watching this team over the last few games, they've been really flat and haven't shown the same speed and intensity that was winning them games at the start of the season. To me, Romanov and KK are players who have been creating energy and having a positive impact lately, but with their current roles and minutes, it's not impacting the game enough to potentially change the outcome.

The team's breakout is also really struggling (which isn't really a surprise). To me, Petry, Romanov and Mete (but not to the same degree) are the better transition players, so they need to play more, otherwise, it's going to be more of the same and the team will continue to drop in the standings.

I think Weber need a better partner then Chiarot for sure, I just don't think Romanov is showing he can take this role yet.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I think Weber need a better partner then Chiarot for sure, I just don't think Romanov is showing he can take this role yet.
I agree, Romanov hasn't exactly forced the coaching staff to do increase his minutes with his play, but it's hard to that when you're handcuffed to Mete or Kulak. Hardly stable, trustworthy guys if you're trying to encourage Romanov to be more offensive.

At this point, I'd prefer to give him an opportunity since we know what we are getting with Chariot and it hasn't been good. Maybe it will wake Chariot up...

Last edited:
Reactions: ItzaGreat

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Yep 21 year old highly touted D playing on his wrong side with mediocre partners....smart development strategy there
It's the Canadien way. Development is sooo over rated. Just throw them out there and see what sticks, look how well that worked for Chucky, and Mete, and KK, and Delarose, and McCarron.

HespelerGreenFlash

Dec 20, 2007

Mete play more ? Did you see him on the boards against Batherson on that goal. God forbid

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Before sending him to the AHL, I would swap Chiarot and Mete.

Chiarot would be a more reliable partner for Romanov, plus he'd benefit from not being in the top 4.

Mete has played decent with Weber in the past and his speed is much needed on that pair. Plus, with a more reliable third pair the Weber pairing wouldn't need to play as much.

Reactions: A55P2

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Where is the energy that he brought in the first 7-8 games of the season? Where are the passes that he was routinely attempting? Where are the rushes up the ice? The hits? It almost seems as if they want him to be less noticeable/risky. He was one of the players who said that the team was like a family to him, he was full of exuberance but now he seems to be just trying to survive out there, he looks deflated almost.

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
Where is the energy that he brought in the first 7-8 games of the season? Where are the passes that he was routinely attempting? Where are the rushes up the ice? The hits? It almost seems as if they want him to be less noticeable/risky. He was one of the players who said that the team was like a family to him, he was full of exuberance but now he seems to be just trying to survive out there, he looks deflated almost.
Yep to me it screams Clode telling him to adjust his game and play more safe so the kid is thinking twice about everything he does. It’s night and day. Actually the whole team looks like shit since Clode forced his system.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yep to me it screams Clode telling him to adjust his game and play more safe so the kid is thinking twice about everything he does. It’s night and day. Actually the whole team looks like shit since Clode forced his system.
Bergevin was excited about Romanov and so were we and his start was something to be excited about and almost overnight he turned into a pumpkin. Seems weird, he just basically stopped doing what was getting him noticed in the league.

Reactions: Pacciosoftie

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Bergevin was excited about Romanov and so were we and his start was something to be excited about and almost overnight he turned into a pumpkin. Seems weird, he just basically stopped doing what was getting him noticed in the league.

Youngsters are all told to clamp down and concentrate on their play without the puck. It's a surefire way to kill creativity and create doubt and hesitation in most these young minds. Seems Suz is also victim of this.

I want a coach who knows how to handle his young guns instead of one who's complete anal on using youth over vets

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Romanov was looking decent on the PP to start the year since he can actually make passes, handle the puck and get shots to the net. Now we've been throwing out Armia, Gallagher, Weber, etc on the PP and to no ones surprise we can't even make a tape to tape pass never mind score a goal.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Youngsters are all told to clamp down and concentrate on their play without the puck. It's a surefire way to kill creativity and create doubt and hesitation in most these young minds. Seems Suz is also victim of this.

I want a coach who knows how to handle his young guns instead of one who's complete anal on using youth over vets

The fact Julien took Toffoli off Kotkaniemi's line to get Danault's line going shows how Julien is more focused about getting his veterans going rather than giving a chance to his young players to succeed.

If Danault's line is struggling, put a guy like Byron or Lehkonen on it to help them work through it. It makes no sense to weaken a young player like Kotkaniemi's line to help out a 28 year old centre who has 1 goal in 40 games.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Yep 21 year old highly touted D playing on his wrong side with mediocre partners....smart development strategy there
Is Julien trying to get himself fired? Between what you pointed out and his recent statements like not being ready or being all out of sorts,these all fall directly on him.Hell even l'antichambre is questioning his decisions, just weird.All I know is that a win tonight means absolutely nothing to me,this team is so bipolar right now a loss would be more beneficial in just helping management make a coaching decision, it's not like this just started happening it's been like this for years,just when you think they have it together they all of a sudden come completely apart and it's getting really fu@#$ing old.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Is Julien trying to get himself fired? Between what you pointed out and his recent statements like not being ready or being all out of sorts,these all fall directly on him.Hell even l'antichambre is questioning his decisions, just weird.
His shelf life along with Bergevin and Muller have expired.

Every year the team starts off strong only to see other teams adjust while the Habs have no answers.

This is a playoff team with the right coaches.

Another issue will be these insane contracts that will haunt this team very soon. Gallagher is not worth the contract he received.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Mete play more ? Did you see him on the boards against Batherson on that goal. God forbid
I’m not saying it’s ideal, but there isn’t another option that’s better, who also helps the transition. Chariot has been caught flat footed and has taken way to many penalties, which teams are starting to convert on more regularly, so it’s not like he doesn’t have warts either.

Jul 6, 2016
He absolutely needs to be sent down and that's not a bad thing. His game has been horrific for a while and some time down in Laval will be so beneficial to him and the big club. I wish we could land a veteran D man to help out of the 3rd pairing.

We have the vets to play on a third pairing: Chiarot, Kulak and Edmundson. Habs need top-four quality d-men.

Jul 6, 2016
His shelf life along with Bergevin and Muller have expired.

Every year the team starts off strong only to see other teams adjust while the Habs have no answers.

This is a playoff team with the right coaches.

Another issue will be these insane contracts that will haunt this team very soon. Gallagher is not worth the contract he received.

Right. But Habs, since ages now, are out of sync. They are always painting themselves in a corner with the fat contracts they give (Price, Gally, Byron...) or don't give (Radulov...) to their players. As much as we all like Gally, the guy, as a player, is on his last leg in this league.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Right. But Habs, since ages now, are out of sync. They are always painting themselves in a corner with the fat contracts they give (Price, Gally, Byron...) or don't give (Radulov...) to their players. As much as we all like Gally, the guy, as a player, is on his last leg in this league.

LA fans said that about Brown a decade ago and he's still playing well...give it a few years before judgement on Gallagher is set in stone...

Reactions: 26Mats

boompuffboom

Jul 10, 2007
i HATE what this organization is doing.

Most gifted blueliner in several years, being nuteured into a placid herbivore by this dinosaur of a coach.

what a SAD time to be a habs fan =((((

Reactions: cphabs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad