Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Even if people are basing it off the WJC, he accomplished something only a handful of defenders had done before. It’s not like he was just good.
Ya but it shouldn't mean much. Pacioretty was complete dogshit in the WJC and he is now the best player from that team. Alexander Nylander and Jesse Puljujarvi were sensational at the WJC and they both suck right now.

The guy is still a mystery to many of us because of his competition level and inconsistent ice time.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Ya but it shouldn't mean much. Pacioretty was complete dogshit in the WJC and he is now the best player from that team. Alexander Nylander and Jesse Puljujarvi were sensational at the WJC and they both suck right now.

The guy is still a mystery to many of us because of his competition level and inconsistent ice time.

He was a regular as an 18 and 19 year old defender on arguably the best team in Europe, in a league that historically gives little icetime to young players, especially defenders. That in itself is a big testament to how good he is currently, let alone what he can become.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Not undersized by any means, he's near average size, 1 or 2 inches doesn't change much physically (see "6,5" Serron Noel hit the Romanov wall), timing, skating (speed/balance/agility/smarts) easily make up for an inch or 2 between players, with Romanov's style, solid skating and awareness he's going to be even better on the small ice, he will need an adjustment period, but the small ice fits his style and instincts very well imo... He's no Emelin, much smarter, much better skater, he's not going to put himself out of position for the sake of destroying a player

I am a big fan of Romanov but you can't argue the fact that he is undersized.....it is a fact.

He is very strong for his size which helps compensate for his lack of size so it may not matter too much although reach is a huge asset for defenders. Hopefully his speed and agility will help to nullify that disadvantage as well.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I think he gets underrated because a) he’s a Habs prospect so fans of other teams want to downplay him, and b) he wasn’t in a position to produce offensively in the KHL

It’s the swagger that will set him apart. He wants to make an impact on every shift. That’s what great defenders do

One of the reasons I feel he could have untapped offensive potential is that swagger. He plays with a ton of jam. I could see him becoming an aggressive pincher. He has the skating to do it. It's not like his puck skills are hot garbage. They're just not + imo.

I'm still veering towards him not being an offensive producer but I do think his offensive production is an open question mark. I can see secondary assists from smart plays or plays where he seperates the man from the puck then makes a smart pass to start a rush. Stuff like that.

I actually think he's overrated because 99% of posters are solely judging him because of his WJCs

Definitely possible. Still making the KHL as an 18 year old on a powerhouse is nothing to sneeze at. And apparently he played a lot of mistake free hockey there even in those limited minutes. From what I've heard anyways.

I'm pretty sure he's going to be pretty damn good. I'm just skeptical of the ones who are really sold on his offensive upside.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I am a big fan of Romanov but you can't argue the fact that he is undersized.....it is a fact.

He is very strong for his size which helps compensate for his lack of size so it may not matter too much although reach is a huge asset for defenders. Hopefully his speed and agility will help to nullify that disadvantage as well.

I swore he got taller in his D+2 or somewhere in that neighbourhood.

The good thing is he's not too undersized. Reach is important and being under 6 is something to deal with.

He is strong as an ox and his skating's fantastic so I don't think it should be too big a problem

edit: didn't even notice your reach comment! probably didn't even need to make this post lol

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He was a regular as an 18 and 19 year old defender on arguably the best team in Europe, in a league that historically gives little icetime to young players, especially defenders. That in itself is a big testament to how good he is currently, let alone what he can become.
Danila Galenyuk was a regular in the KHL at 19 and he went undrafted. Alexander Nikishin played in the KHL at 17 and he went in the 3rd round. Maxim Groshev played when he was 18 and he went in the 3rd round.

Romanov is still a complete mystery. I think he can be a top 4 dman, but it's far from a guarantee.

Reactions: Vachon23

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Danila Galenyuk was a regular in the KHL at 19 and he went undrafted. Alexander Nikishin played in the KHL at 17 and he went in the 3rd round. Maxim Groshev played when he was 18 and he went in the 3rd round.

Romanov is still a complete mystery. I think he can be a top 4 dman, but it's far from a guarantee.

I have a high degree of faith in Romanov succeeding just because he comes from such a legendary hockey family. He's been around the game his whole life, his father was a KHL player, his grandfather played and is still one of the most highly regarded Russian coaches.

I know the whole bloodlines argument has backfired many times before, but he has the drive and resources that very few others have.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Crosby is 5'11 too and nobody calls him undersized. He's built like a tank, and so is Romanov.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Older David St-Louis video but you can see how smart and effective he is. He moves the puck very well too.

Yes it's the WJCs but as much as you can't go wholly on WJCs, I think it's a mistake to dismiss them categorically. You can't just shut your eyes and plug your ears to his fantastic skating and how rock solid he is defensively. I mean...you can I guess.

Reactions: dralaf

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Crosby is 5'11 too and nobody calls him undersized. He's built like a tank, and so is Romanov.

It is funny how often Crosby comes up in the undersized conversation in the exact context that you are using.....

Crosby is also a forward so he is closer to average than Romanov is for a D. Crosby is also considerably thicker than Romanov and may have the strongest legs/butt in the entire game.

Not sure what the problem is with people......I acknowledged that Romanov is strong/fast enough to overcome the FACT that he is undersized for his position. I would understand if he was your mother but this is not personal.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
On TSN 690 Patrick Bexell said

" Ive talked to multiple development coaches and scouts and in a redraft everyone said Romanov would go in the top 5 if not higher because some scouts even said higher" Thats a really bold statement from those scouts.
Patrick Bexell is employed by the Habs, right ? Hes pumping the Habs prospect way too hard.

Top 5 in the 2018 redraft... get lost.

Dahlin, Svech, Hughes, KK alone.. lol

Reactions: Acadien86

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
Patrick Bexell is employed by the Habs, right ? Hes pumping the Habs prospect way too hard.

Why are you pissed about facts?? that is what some scouts said and those scouts weren't employed by habs. Go cry in your own corner.

Reactions: MakeTheGoalsLarger

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

He might have said top 5 as a figure of speech rather than a precise number. That's often the case when people use round numbers.

And given that I'm actually diagnosed with Asperger's I feel ridiculously needing to explain this.

Reactions: Runner77 and NitroF

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I am a big fan of Caulfield but you can't argue the fact that he is undersized.....it is a fact.

fixed it for you

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Why are you pissed about facts?? that is what some scouts said and those scouts weren't employed by habs. Go cry in your own corner.

What drunkard would pick Romanov above these guys let alone, Tkachuk, Boqvist, Zadina, heck, even Farabee ?

Love romanov, but thats a bit far fetched.

Brady Tkachuk

Anotha one

He might have said top 5 as a figure of speech rather than a precise number. That's often the case when people use round numbers.

And given that I'm actually diagnosed with Asperger's I feel ridiculously needing to explain this.

Why not use top 10 ? There's literally no one in the whole world that would pick Romanov top 5. Sounds like hyperbole for the sake of it.

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
What drunkard would pick Romanov above these guys let alone, Tkachuk, Boqvist, Zadina, heck, even Farabee ?

Anotha one

Why not use top 10 ? There's literally no one in the whole world that would pick Romanov top 5. Sounds like hyperbole for the sake of it.
Ok ??? Top-5 or top-10 not much off a difference..... he still a freaking good pick for a 2nd rounder so whats your point ?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

D00d most people don't think that hard.

You know when people say "99%" and they might really mean any number between 60% and 100%? Same idea.

The way that I take the statement is not that Romanov would be drafted ahead of Tkachuk or whoever, but that he would be drafted substantially higher.

Reactions: Runner77 and NitroF

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto

Anotha one

Idk what drunkard skipped on Brayden point 78 times. What drunkard skipped over kucherov 58 times. What drunkard skipped over Datsyuk 1** times. Get my point? They're all still 20 you never know. I'm sure if someone said Brayden point should have went top 2 in the draft when he was 20 before playing an nhl game you would have said the exact same thing and named a bunch of players who were for sure going ahead of him.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga

First, Patrik Bexell is not employed by the Habs. He's a European correspondent for Habs Eyes on the Prize. Second, it's not his opinion that Romanov would go top 5 in a redraft. He's reporting what he was told by "multiple development coaches and scouts".

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto

Anotha one

Also forgot to mention bexell isn't employed by the Habs like u mentioned.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Bexell has been writing big pieces on Norlinder for like a year now, he's clearly either a huge fan boy or he's paid by the Habs on the low to milk the Habs brand.

D00d most people don't think that hard.

You know when people say "99%" and they might really mean any number between 60% and 100%? Same idea.

The way that I take the statement is not that Romanov would be drafted ahead of Tkachuk or whoever, but that he would be drafted substantially higher.

Why stop there ? Why not say he's the best player in the 2018 draft ? Maybe GOAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad