Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Radulov used MTL as a springboard to get a huge contract elsewhere in the NHL, preferably in a place with lower taxes. Given the opportunity to play with Seguin and Benn was an extra bonus.

Markov decided to represent himself and the lack of clear communication between him and MB has lead to that situation.

Sure, I agree with this but does this mean that Bergevin did not get frustrated in contract negotiations?

- Who knows if Radulov would of signed if Bergevin gave him $1M more AAV to offset the taxes? I think he was after the most money and would of played for either team. But a part of me also thinks he used us and would of went back to Dallas to get them to match the offer again if we upped it.

- Markov went after a 2 year term as a 35+ player and then came to hes senses and was OK with a 1 year deal before the season started. But he was not willing to take the base plus performance contract like Chara did. It was not about communication issues, it was about Markov feeling disrespected and not having a 2nd opinion (agent) to tell him what was reasonable or not.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Does this mean I'm an expert on the habs since I've been to their games?

Habs rushed Kotkaniemi...you heard it here first.

Habs rush prospects every chance they get, MB is still in his 20s mentally, that's the problem with hiring former hockey players I suppose, they never had to learn anything in life, they're stuck in a seratonin prison.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
How are they rushing him??

Have you been down in Russia to see how he’s been playing??

He’s not even 20, how many 20yr defenseman come over from the KHL to the NHL and have early success?

Better yet who’s the last Hab defenseman to crack an NHL roster at that age and actually contributed? Subban? That was a decade ago now.

Bergevin has a proven track record of fast-tracking young players to the NHL and having them stagnate.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
MB seems pretty sure to get Romanov...

Given the SCap in KHL next year (14M), pretty sure they won't fork 1M on a third pair D...
Most likely there will be some cheating (It's Russia after all) but 14M give you a max of 6M on defense.

BTW, Not sure the Rocket would fit under KHL cap! :laugh::naughty:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
MB seems pretty sure to get Romanov...

Given the SCap in KHL next year (14M), pretty sure they won't fork 1M on a third pair D...
Most likely there will be some cheating (It's Russia after all) but 14M give you a max of 6M on defense.

BTW, Not sure the Rocket would fit under KHL cap! :laugh::naughty:

I moved it here since it was brought up a few posts back from one of the Russian posters that Romanov wouldn't count against the cap for CSKA due to his age I believe.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
So expect the same as the last 7 years, as with all other prospects.

MB is a genius.

I personally think Romanov is the most overrated prospect in our team. Yes he will probably in our team for a longtime but he won’t have that much impact then people think. I don’t even know If he will be better then Mete

Reactions: jackeymoon

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I personally think Romanov is the most overrated prospect in our team. Yes he will probably in our team for a longtime but he won’t have that much impact then people think. I don’t even know If he will be better then Mete
I think his floor is a Ben Chiarot type. Guy who complements in your top 4, by playing a solid, physical, two way game. I think his ceiling is a true top 2 D though who's able to dominate on the ice in multiple ways.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Imo, he's done nothing offensively to warrant the praise he's getting but that can change as he matures. I see him as a 3rd pairing, penalty killing type defenseman. Emelin-esque. Nothing wrong with that I might add.

Reactions: Vachon23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Does this mean I'm an expert on the habs since I've been to their games?

Habs rushed Kotkaniemi...you heard it here first.

I've said the Habs rushed Kotkaniemi for almost a season and a half now. Not sure if anybody beat me to that? :sarcasm:

However, rushing prospects or prematurely inserting them into key NHL roles at a young age does not necessarily mean they will bust. It's going to be very interesting to see how this unfolds but it's way to early to predict anything. I do think they are monitoring things closely

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Imo, he's done nothing offensively to warrant the praise he's getting but that can change as he matures. I see him as a 3rd pairing, penalty killing type defenseman. Emelin-esque. Nothing wrong with that I might add.

Remove some of the low-IQ from Emelin and you have a legitimate #3 IMO. Romanov could be that guy. Plays really responsibly from what I can see.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Mb said to don’t expect that much offense from Romanov but that he will be a good defensive defenseman in closing gab and he doesn’t give alote of space to the foward where I totally agree.

Bergevin is spot on with Romanov's potential. Can he prove to be NHL quality at 20/21 next season? They might just shelter him like Fleury right now.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I think his floor is a Ben Chiarot type. Guy who complements in your top 4, by playing a solid, physical, two way game. I think his ceiling is a true top 2 D though who's able to dominate on the ice in multiple ways.

Chiarot type is not a bad comparison, I think he can be a little bit better but not that much.

Same ! I think he will be better then Emelin because of Emelin really low hockey IQ but I don’t expect him to be that much better

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I think he plays physical and is in your face like Chiarot but is he as physically strong as Chiarot? I doubt that.

A guy like Vlasic comes to my mind. Vlasic was offensive in Junior but always had the style of game where he skated well and was a trusted option on D for his coach. Ryan Ellis is another guy that comes to mind. Just great skaters who do the simple things well and chip in on offense here and there. Good puck battle guys who are not afraid of the physical game.

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
I dunno if Romanov is going to make a difference next season, but at least, it's gonna be a step in the right direction. Kulak, Reilly and some others we saw in the last couple of seasons have no business in the NHL.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I think he plays physical and is in your face like Chiarot but is he as physically strong as Chiarot? I doubt that.

A guy like Vlasic comes to my mind. Vlasic was offensive in Junior but always had the style of game where he skated well and was a trusted option on D for his coach. Ryan Ellis is another guy that comes to mind. Just great skaters who do the simple things well and chip in on offense here and there. Good puck battle guys who are not afraid of the physical game.

Ellis and Vlasic have way more offense to bring then Romanov though especially Ellis.

Jul 6, 2016
Ellis and Vlasic have way more offense to bring then Romanov though especially Ellis.

Very hard to judge (young) d-men coming out of the KHL. The kid piled up points in the last World Junior last December against kids his age. We know he can play on a smaller ice surface without problem.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Not so sure I agree with that. Romanov looked offensive in the WJC playing against the best 18/19 year olds in the world last year. I totally see Romanov with 20-30 pts potential depending on the team he plays with. I think it's fair to say he won't be a offensive type like Norlinder for example but lets not forget that Romanov is focused at the most important thing for a defenseman... which is playing solid D and not being a liability in your own end. I think we need to be careful with labeling him as a modern day shut down type only.

Basically, I see Romanov playing boring hockey in his own end and being a great puck mover while he chips in on offense like Ellis and Vlasic here and there. He's not that limited offensively IMO. Same as Fleury, only 1 goal in 27 games but he is also being sheltered as a 21 year old. Romanov is basically 1 year and 2 months younger.

Romanov passed my eye test last year by a wide margin. He showed flashes of vision as well as great mobility at closing gaps on D. What I like the most about Romanov is you can be picky all you want, it's hard to find obvious flaws

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Ohhh here we go again people getting their hopes up and Bergevin not helping by insinuating he would be NHL ready next year. I really wish they would take time with some of these prospects, so few are really NHL ready with no AHL time etc.

Reactions: Jokerniemi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad