Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
With the way he skates, hits and his solid defensive play, I will take that any day.
Pair him with Fleury and nobody would enter the zone.

Hitting is always welcome and we dont see as much of it anymore. But look at the St. Louis D and important physical play is in the playoffs.

Romanov can hit. What he's really improved on is his transition game. Much more smooth now and efficient. .You have to have that to be an NHL D.

What's up in the air is his offensive production. I'm least concerned with this. We need some D that play D well.

Reactions: Toene and dralaf

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Pair him with Fleury and nobody would enter the zone.

Hitting is always welcome and we dont see as much of it anymore. But look at the St. Louis D and important physical play is in the playoffs.

Romanov can hit. What he's really improved on is his transition game. Much more smooth now and efficient. .You have to have that to be an NHL D.

What's up in the air is his offensive production. I'm least concerned with this. We need some D that play D well.

We don’t know much about his offensive game yet. We do know that every time he played against his group age, he dominated both offensively and defensively, not just at the WJC.

Would we be talking about his offensive ability had he played in the CHL this year and would be ~ 1+ PPG? I don’t think so.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
The real question is he willing to come to NA?
I don’t have the exact answer. But he was in Dallas during Draft day. I mean. If he is not willing to come over here in NA, im seriously wondering what he was doing in the stairs then lol

Reactions: jaffy27

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
So did BErgevin secure his coming to the Habs or is this going to be another one of those "this is not a playstation" moments?

Reactions: DAChampion

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
In the gazette they had "bye bye Bergevin" segment if Habs fail to miss the playoffs. Unfortunately, the french media no longer mentions Bergevin since habs have gone on that insane 2 out of 3 win streaks.

Bye bye Bergevin should’ve happened 3 years ago.

I’m a big fan of Romanov and I think he’ll be a good player, but the trend of rushing our prospects to the NHL has been a staple of Bergevin’s tenure and Gallagher is the only impact player that’s graduated under his tenure, drafted and developed by the previous administration.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Sure, rush another prospect to the NHL in an attempt to save your ass Bergy. Same song and dance for the last 7 years and every single one busts.

This is the headache with drafting russian players under the current climate. They dont mind sticking it out in russia, unlike the foreign players who go to play in the KHL.

So he has that bargaining chip, which he could use as leverage incase the habs have any thoughts of sending him to the ahl.

The other scenario is that he re-signs in russia, and then we have another potential alexei emelin situation on our hands, where he doesnt come over until his mid 20s, maybe longer depending on the contract.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
This is the headache with drafting russian players under the current climate. They dont mind sticking it out in russia, unlike the foreign players who go to play in the KHL.

So he has that bargaining chip, which he could use as leverage incase the habs have any thoughts of sending him to the ahl.

The other scenario is that he re-signs in russia, and then we have another potential alexei emelin situation on our hands, where he doesnt come over until his mid 20s, maybe longer depending on the contract.

If Romanov has no intention of spending any significant time in the AHL, he’ll likely negotiate a European assignment clause into his contract. Doing as such is common nowadays.

Instead of assigning him to the AHL, Montreal would loan him back to CSKA for the year; but he’d still remain under contract with the Habs.

No ReGretzkys

May 8, 2018
Over 19! Second for Dmen on the team. I notice that their number 1 D Nesterov isn't playing - so a bit more ice time to go around.
Did you say Nesterov....? the guy whom we got from tampa a couple years back, who then managed to make our top 6 in the playoffs Nesterov?...#1 D?:huh:

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Did you say Nesterov....? the guy whom we got from tampa a couple years back, who then managed to make our top 6 in the playoffs Nesterov?...#1 D?:huh:

He had 5 point, +3 in 13 games for us at 23 years old, which is pretty good. It's not surprising that he'd do well in the KHL at 25-26 yrs old. Darren Dietz, one of our pick back then, is one of the top dman in the league. 53 pts in 62 games last year.

Reactions: No ReGretzkys

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

He had 5 point, +3 in 13 games for us at 23 years old, which is pretty good. It's not surprising that he'd do well in the KHL at 25-26 yrs old. Darren Dietz, one of our pick back then, is one of the top dman in the league. 53 pts in 62 games last year.

Nesterov is a train-wreck under heavy pressure/forecheck. But when he has more time (as he does in KHL) he's really really good; a lot better than some Russian NHLers in the same scenario.

To insinuate anything less of Romanov because he currently isn't Nesterov's level in the KHL is quite misleading.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I hope they can get him over for next year........................don't trade this kid MB!!

I don't think Bergevin will trade Romanov. Even in the Hall (sign/trade) talks I have Romanov as one of my untouchables. Suzuki, Caufield, Kotkaniemi, Romanov.

This kid has no real flaws you can nit pick. Plays physical, skates very well, and has some offensive ability. Lots to like and I have him as a projected top 4D. Great type of piece to have and he's committed to play at both ends, not just one.

Reactions: dralaf and BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I don't think Bergevin will trade Romanov. Even in the Hall (sign/trade) talks I have Romanov as one of my untouchables. Suzuki, Caufield, Kotkaniemi, Romanov.

This kid has no real flaws you can nit pick. Plays physical, skates very well, and has some offensive ability. Lots to like and I have him as a projected top 4D. Great type of piece to have and he's committed to play at both ends, not just one.
Does this situation remind us of Sergachev?

I hope you are right, we need this style of a Dman.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Does this situation remind us of Sergachev?

I hope you are right, we need this style of a Dman.

I think the Markov/Radulov contract situation frustrated Bergevin back in 2017. He's been much better since that terrible off season IMO. Do I have 100% confidence he makes the right moves today? No, not really but I do think he likes Romanov just as much as we do. We need him on the LD side IMO.

Jul 6, 2016
I think the Markov/Radulov contract situation frustrated Bergevin back in 2017. He's been much better since that terrible off season IMO. Do I have 100% confidence he makes the right moves today? No, not really but I do think he likes Romanov just as much as we do. We need him on the LD side IMO.

Radulov used MTL as a springboard to get a huge contract elsewhere in the NHL, preferably in a place with lower taxes. Given the opportunity to play with Seguin and Benn was an extra bonus.

Markov decided to represent himself and the lack of clear communication between him and MB has lead to that situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad