Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
He's been used in every type of situations. Benched. Several experiences. Scratched. Minutes gotten increased and often decreased. And I'm not complaining you know why? Because that's how he'll be challenged and tested. He'll know how to get through all this with what he gained there as a background. It'll build his character and a hunger to win. With us, that's what'll make Romanov be ready more than ever imho.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
He's been used in every type of situations. Benched. Several experiences. Scratched. Minutes gotten increased and often decreased. And I'm not complaining you know why? Because that's how he'll be challenged and tested. He'll know how to get through all this with what he gained there as a background. It'll build his character and a hunger to win. With us, that's what'll make Romanov be ready more than ever imho.

So based on that....it means that every player that goes through juniors like the CHL and play key roles for their team and aren't benched follow the wrong path?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

That philosphy has so worked so well with all our prospects the last 6 years, just look at how many or our drafted kids have turned into franchise players under Bergenuts. I mean, there's Mete? No wait, Leks. Damn, one day it will work out.

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
It's already well documented that NHL-level 17-18-19 years old should have their own league. The path just doesn't exist.

It,s called the CHL and you dominate in there. Just like the tons of great prospects that arrived in the NHL from the CHL and that should dominate, and do. So even if it should exist and it doesn't, what exist is playing a lot in juniors or being benched in a higher league. Nobody will ever convince me that being benched is a better preparation.

Was KK playing in the CHL? Or a men's league? Was he played 20 minutes a game? If not...why doesn't he seem to have more trouble to have a lower icetime?

Makes no sense man. Play. A lot. Go 1 step at a time, and work on other things in your game 'cause chances are, in lower leagues, you were able to succeed with your talent only. ONLY if you are an exceptional should you play in the NHL as a 18-19 years old. Kotkaniemi. Romanov aren't exceptionals.

AS much a man's league it is, nobody seems to have some problems with watching Norlinder dominate a weak league....does he make the jump next year in the NHL? Of course he shouldn't. Why is it different with KK or Romanov. Step by step. Unless you are a management with no plans. Oh wait...that's what we have....

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
So based on that....it means that every player that goes through juniors like the CHL and play key roles for their team and aren't benched follow the wrong path?
He hasn’t experienced our development program yet.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
He has grown so far with what he experimented tho. His path is absolutely debatable. Whether it's the right or the wrong one to try. Every reasonable argument can convince me on this case.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
It,s called the CHL and you dominate in there. Just like the tons of great prospects that arrived in the NHL from the CHL and that should dominate, and do. So even if it should exist and it doesn't, what exist is playing a lot in juniors or being benched in a higher league. Nobody will ever convince me that being benched is a better preparation.

Was KK playing in the CHL? Or a men's league? Was he played 20 minutes a game? If not...why doesn't he seem to have more trouble to have a lower icetime?

Makes no sense man. Play. A lot. Go 1 step at a time, and work on other things in your game 'cause chances are, in lower leagues, you were able to succeed with your talent only. ONLY if you are an exceptional should you play in the NHL as a 18-19 years old. Kotkaniemi. Romanov aren't exceptionals.

AS much a man's league it is, nobody seems to have some problems with watching Norlinder dominate a weak league....does he make the jump next year in the NHL? Of course he shouldn't. Why is it different with KK or Romanov. Step by step. Unless you are a management with no plans. Oh wait...that's what we have....

No it's not called the CHL. I'm talking about a league for juniors (from around the world) of NHL potential. The CHL is suffering from incredible bloat, and the US has recognized this and their solution was the national development team.

Imagine a 20 teams league, playing in semi-nhl population centers (Quebec City, Hartford, Kansas City, Markham, Hamilton, Portland, Salt Lake) etc. strikes me as good places for this "Super Junior" league)
Teams would not be affiliated to the NHL teams.

each team composed of

8 players of 17 years old.
8 players of 18 years old
8 players of 19 years old.
etc.

players of all nationalities available to be drafted (Can, US, Russia, Sweden, Germany, Fin, etc.)

NHL would draft the 18 years old after their year is over (1 year later than now).
Drafted players would play their 19 years old year.
Players would be paid 300k/400k/max 2m per year

the NHL would receive players at 20 years old (no exceptions).
The CHL would have to be cut, but would still be 40+ teams.
Players in the CHL could still be drafted in NHL of course as the "Super Junior" would represent only about 5 rounds for NHL teams

About icetime: all fine and dandy to play a lot, but there is a big limit to just how much training it provides if you play against a majority of players that will never make it further. Esposito looked good in juniors etc.
The problem is that the steps absolutely suck after 18 years old (and before 20) for most players in the vast developing majority (players like KK).
- the AHL is filled with veterans who are a lot more physically mature (just the age thing) and who play like grinders (tight) = not the best development league at all for the real talent.
- the CHL is too weak for most round 1 and 2 NHL draftees to develop after 18 years old (they get the world juniors).
- the Europeans have it a bit better as they can play their top prospect in pro leagues that are more NHL-representative, that at the same time not too strong for prospects. But they would profit a lot from playing against the best Can-US players for 3 years.
- the NHL is just not a development league, and the current CBA rules imposes on GMs on playing some prospects that are not ready in a detrimental fashion imo.

We need hockey to improve in quality for the NHL to succeed - right now it's declining imho.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
No it's not called the CHL. I'm talking about a league for juniors (from around the world) of NHL potential. The CHL is suffering from incredible bloat, and the US has recognized this and their solution was the national development team.

Imagine a 20 teams league, playing in semi-nhl population centers (Quebec City, Hartford, Kansas City, Markham, Hamilton, Portland, Salt Lake) etc. strikes me as good places for this "Super Junior" league)
Teams would not be affiliated to the NHL teams.

each team composed of

8 players of 17 years old.
8 players of 18 years old
8 players of 19 years old.
etc.

players of all nationalities available to be drafted (Can, US, Russia, Sweden, Germany, Fin, etc.)

NHL would draft the 18 years old after their year is over (1 year later than now).
Drafted players would play their 19 years old year.
Players would be paid 300k/400k/max 2m per year

the NHL would receive players at 20 years old (no exceptions).
The CHL would have to be cut, but would still be 40+ teams.
Players in the CHL could still be drafted in NHL of course as the "Super Junior" would represent only about 5 rounds for NHL teams

About icetime: all fine and dandy to play a lot, but there is a big limit to just how much training it provides if you play against a majority of players that will never make it further. Esposito looked good in juniors etc.
The problem is that the steps absolutely suck after 18 years old (and before 20) for most players in the vast developing majority (players like KK).
- the AHL is filled with veterans who are a lot more physically mature (just the age thing) and who play like grinders (tight) = not the best development league at all for the real talent.
- the CHL is too weak for most round 1 and 2 NHL draftees to develop after 18 years old (they get the world juniors).
- the Europeans have it a bit better as they can play their top prospect in pro leagues that are more NHL-representative, that at the same time not too strong for prospects. But they would profit a lot from playing against the best Can-US players for 3 years.
- the NHL is just not a development league, and the current CBA rules imposes on GMs on playing some prospects that are not ready in a detrimental fashion imo.

We need hockey to improve in quality for the NHL to succeed - right now it's declining imho.

Well since that will never happen, as brillant your idea could be, TODAY, it's Europe or CHL for Europeans. Not playing a lot and being benched in a league filled with vets that most likely would not have been good enough to play in the NHL....or play a lot and dominate in a younger league filled also with a lot of people who will not make it either.

I say to each their own....but I will never believe that not playing is the way to improve no matter the competition.

Reactions: jaffy27

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
Does anyone know if Romanov was in the lineup today - I couldn't see him

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They never lose his rights, unless they trade him.

I thought so but was not sure. I think Bergevin will sign him and the other Russian on that team but I won't be upset if Romanov signs in the KHL for two more years and comes to the Habs as a 21 year old to start his ELC. That would be great ELC value if he is the guy we think he can be

Jul 6, 2016
I thought so but was not sure. I think Bergevin will sign him and the other Russian on that team but I won't be upset if Romanov signs in the KHL for two more years and comes to the Habs as a 21 year old to start his ELC. That would be great ELC value if he is the guy we think he can be

I would hope, in that case, that his KHL team would give him top icetime along those two seasons. Otherwise, it would be a waste of development. I hope he comes to the NHL at a younger age than Emelin.

Reactions: Steeler23

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

You would get only a 2 years ELC in that case as he would be 22 to start 2022-2023.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You would get only a 2 years ELC in that case as he would be 22 to start 2022-2023.

If he stays in the KHL for another two seasons and then signs his ELC with the Habs, it would be his 22/23 and 23/24 seasons right (Jan birth date)? Doubt this happens cause Bergevin is going to want to sign him and Romanov's agent will say the fastest way to money is to burn your ELC as soon as you can. And based on the rumor of Bergevin going after the other Russian on Romanov's KHL team, I think this all adds up to Bergevin trying to create a good situation for Romanov to come over as a 20 year old.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What would you rank the hockey leagues today? Has things changed from a few years ago? How do you see your rankings? Posted this in the Romanov thread cause of how many people think he does not have offensive ability cause he is not putting up points in a sheltered role playing KHL

1) NHL
2a) KHL
2b) SHL
3) Liiga
4) NLA
5) Allsvenskan
6) AHL
7) NCAA
8) CHL

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
What would you rank the hockey leagues today? Has things changed from a few years ago? How do you see your rankings? Posted this in the Romanov thread cause of how many people think he does not have offensive ability cause he is not putting up points in a sheltered role playing KHL

1) NHL
2a) KHL
2b) SHL
3) Liiga
4) NLA
5) Allsvenskan
6) AHL
7) NCAA
8) CHL

My opinion, out of those league:

1) NHL
2) KHL
3) AHL
4) SHL
5) Liiga
6) NLA
7) Allsvenskan
8) NCAA
9) CHL

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Hopefully they leave him in KHL until he can be in top 4/gets decent minutes. What are the odds a player that can't earn minutes in KHL would magically be ready for minutes in NHL (especially with this team's development history). I doubt he'll play in AHL.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004

1) NHL
2a) KHL
2b) SHL
3) Liiga
4) NLA
5) Allsvenskan
6) AHL
7) NCAA
8) CHL

I think AHL should be higher, or at least equal to #3-4. I know it's hard to judge because of the rink size, but a guy like Antti Suomela was a PPG in Liiga and is .5 PPG in the AHL, Texier close to PPG in Liiga and, even if it was just 7 games, was PPG in the AHL. Same for Puljujarvi, he was close to PPG in the AHL and is in Liiga. Same could be said for the NLA, with guys like Arcobello/Wingels/D'Agostino being PPG, just like they were in the AHL. Allsvenskan should be lower than AHL. Jonathan Dahlen was an average AHL player and dominate there. Ii think that the only guy who dominated this league and got a shot by a team in the NHL was Victor Ejdsell and he didn't work out.

For Romanov, I think it's hard to talk about his numbers, because in the last 10 years, the only D under 20 years that end up playing in the NHL were Dimitri Orlov, Vladislav Gavrikov and Ilya Lyubushkin. The last 2 started playing in the NHL at 24 (both came last year), but they aren't known for their offensive abilities (6'2 and 6'3, they are both defensive D/stay at home).

Orlov is probably the only comparison we have. Orlov put up 7 pts in 41 games at his D+1 and 13 pts in 45 in his D+2. Both year, he was with a pretty bad team offensively (both years, the scoring leader had 24 and 26 in 55 games). Also, Orlov was send in the MHL in his D+1 and put up 13 pts in 7 games + 19 pts in 17 playoff games, but we can't compare these numbers because Romanov wasn't send to the MHL. Also, Orlov played 15 games in the KHL in his draft year, so he had this small experience VS Romanov.

Orlov played in the WJC-18 and got 4 pts/+7 in 7 games VS Romanov who had 3 pts/+5 in 5 games. Same with WJC-20, Orlov had 4 pts in 6 games VS Romanov 8 pts/+12 in 7 games.

We can't say it's a perfect comparison, but Orlov became a good 30 pts top-4D at 24 yo, and he wasn't bad before that.

So, I hope this little research help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad