Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
WJC is a 2 week tournament, nice that he produced there but It doesn’t change anything in my minds. Emelin did the same thing at the WJC and he wasn’t offensive at all. Poehling won the MVP and we all know that he won’t be a offensive dynamo. He doesn’t have enough high offensive IQ to put points in the NHL. He just have 7 pts in 76 games in carrer in the KHL

Reactions: jackeymoon

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
WJC is a 2 week tournament, nice that he produced there but It doesn’t change anything in my minds. Emelin did the same thing at the WJC and he wasn’t offensive at all. Poehling won the MVP and we all know that he won’t be a offensive dynamo. He doesn’t have enough high offensive IQ to put points in the NHL. He just have 7 pts in 76 games in carrer in the KHL

Emelin had better KHL numbers and that was when the K had arguably more talent

Reactions: Vachon23

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
I've said the Habs rushed Kotkaniemi for almost a season and a half now. Not sure if anybody beat me to that? :sarcasm:

However, rushing prospects or prematurely inserting them into key NHL roles at a young age does not necessarily mean they will bust. It's going to be very interesting to see how this unfolds but it's way to early to predict anything. I do think they are monitoring things closely

You could probably chart is as a function that dictates for most players (minus the outliers) Development time times initial talent= NHL potential

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Not so sure I agree with that. Romanov looked offensive in the WJC playing against the best 18/19 year olds in the world last year. I totally see Romanov with 20-30 pts potential depending on the team he plays with. I think it's fair to say he won't be a offensive type like Norlinder for example but lets not forget that Romanov is focused at the most important thing for a defenseman... which is playing solid D and not being a liability in your own end. I think we need to be careful with labeling him as a modern day shut down type only.

Basically, I see Romanov playing boring hockey in his own end and being a great puck mover while he chips in on offense like Ellis and Vlasic here and there. He's not that limited offensively IMO. Same as Fleury, only 1 goal in 27 games but he is also being sheltered as a 21 year old. Romanov is basically 1 year and 2 months younger.

Romanov passed my eye test last year by a wide margin. He showed flashes of vision as well as great mobility at closing gaps on D. What I like the most about Romanov is you can be picky all you want, it's hard to find obvious flaws

Romanov can be a good piece for us, my point is just don’t expect that much offense from him, he will be a defensive defenseman. A good hockey team need that type of defenseman. But I think Norlinder celling is was high then Romanov but Romanov has way more chance to be a regular NHL defenseman

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
as much as I would't use Romanov's WJC stats to boost him, I also wouldn't use his lack of production in the KHL to cap his ceiling either.

Pretty sure someone posted in here not too long ago of other Russian D men in the KHL at 18 and 19 and the few that existed didn't seem to produce much more than Romanov.

You put a gun to my head I'd say his ceiling is 30ish points. To me though his upside is still not clear. He has a great stretch pass, a big slapper (though under utilized it seems to be) and he seems to make some good pinches with his great skating. Plays with a lot of jam. I don't see the high end offensive skill but I've seen a few things that make me wonder that with more experience he might have some more high end production. I'm open minded about his ceiling but short story long I don't seen an offensive dynamo.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

WJC performances are deeper than just point production. The eye test on how they stand out against the best 18 and 19 year olds means more.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
as much as I would't use Romanov's WJC stats to boost him, I also wouldn't use his lack of production in the KHL to cap his ceiling either.

Pretty sure someone posted in here not too long ago of other Russian D men in the KHL at 18 and 19 and the few that existed didn't seem to produce much more than Romanov.

You put a gun to my head I'd say his ceiling is 30ish points. To me though his upside is still not clear. He has a great stretch pass, a big slapper (though under utilized it seems to be) and he seems to make some good pinches with his great skating. Plays with a lot of jam. I don't see the high end offensive skill but I've seen a few things that make me wonder that with more experience he might have some more high end production. I'm open minded about his ceiling but short story long I don't seen an offensive dynamo.

Said it before and will say it again... kind of like a Vlasic, Ellis, Brodin type. Great in their own end, play physical, skate well, good vision, and about 20-30 pts ish.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
WJC performances are deeper than just point production. The eye test on how they stand out against the best 18 and 19 year olds means more.

Not really, it’s tournament based on momentum and if where completely honest, Romanov mad his points against the weakest teams last year where the competition was not that tough and alote of his pts where lucky.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not really, it’s tournament based on momentum and if where completely honest, Romanov mad his points against the weakest teams last year where the competition was not that tough and alote of his pts where lucky.

I value my eye test more than the production. We can cherry pick both situations... Guys who done well in that tournament and disappointed in the NHL and guys who have done well and turned into NHL impact players.

Romanov was not named best D man in the tournament cause of his points only

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I value my eye test more than the production. We can cherry pick both situations... Guys who done well in that tournament and disappointed in the NHL and guys who have done well and turned into NHL impact players.

Romanov was not named best D man in the tournament cause of his points only

Yes it was only because of his points, he was not even the best D in his team (Alexeyev was driving the play). And do you know who’s the last Habs prospect defenseman who had the most point in the WJC ? Alexei Emelin !

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes it was only because of his points, he was not even the best D in his team (Alexeyev was driving the play). And do you know who’s the last Habs prospect defenseman who had the most point in the WJC ? Alexei Emelin !

We disagree on this one. He didn't win best D man because of his points only. Scouts and TV analyst were raving about his mobility and gap closure. I don't know what version of Romanov you were watching.

I don't believe he will be as strong as Emelin (he was a tank) and I think he has better mobility and a higher point ceiling. I see more of a Vlasic, Ellis, and Brodin type. 20-30 pts and strong in his own end.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
We disagree on this one. He didn't win best D man because of his points only. Scouts and TV analyst were raving about his mobility and gap closure. I don't know what version of Romanov you were watching.

I don't believe he will be as strong as Emelin (he was a tank) and I think he has better mobility and a higher point ceiling. I see more of a Vlasic, Ellis, and Brodin type. 20-30 pts and strong in his own end.

I see a mixte of Bouillon Chiarot and Emelin

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I see a mixte of Bouillon Chiarot and Emelin

Romanov is 5'-11, 183 Lbs. Emelin and Chiarot are both over 6'-0" and 215+ lbs. I see Romanov topping out around 200 lbs and likely doesn't get any taller. I don't see Romanov being a physical beast like Emelin and Chiarot. Struble would be a better comparison to them IMO.

I see some sort of hybrid between these 3.

Vlasic:
- 6'-1", 205 lbs
- Career 0.32 pts/game

Ellis:
- 5'-10", 181 lbs
- Career 0.47 pts/game

Brodin:
- 6'-1", 194 lbs
- Career 0.25 pts/game

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Romanov is 5'-11, 183 Lbs. Emelin and Chiarot are both over 6'-0" and 215+ lbs. I see Romanov topping out around 200 lbs and likely doesn't get any taller. I don't see Romanov being a physical beast like Emelin and Chiarot. Struble would be a better comparison to them IMO.

I see some sort of hybrid between these 3.

Vlasic:
- 6'-1", 205 lbs
- Career 0.32 pts/game

Ellis:
- 5'-10", 181 lbs
- Career 0.47 pts/game

Brodin:
- 6'-1", 194 lbs
- Career 0.25 pts/game

I don’t agree with the 2 first who are in my eyes way better but Brodin could be a good comparison but Brodin is quicker and Romanov more physical

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t agree with the 2 first who are in my eyes way better but Brodin could be a good comparison but Brodin is quicker and Romanov more physical

Like I said... A hybrid between the 3. Romanov is Romanov and when comparing to proven talent, it's best to list a few players. I have Ellis, Brodin, Vlasic and you have Emelin and Chiarot.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

here's the all time U-20 point leaders in the KHL for defensemen,

Elite Prospects - KHL Stats All-time season

I've seen a ton of Romanov in the KHL and it's very hard to get a read off that since his ice time has been all over the place from a 5th to a 7th D in all the games i've seen over the 2 years.

Romanov will be an NHLer because of his skating, mobility, defensive and physical game, if he can put up points anywhere near 30 then that is just icing on the cake for us.

I agree as it's a 5-6-7 game tournament and some of those games are going to be against very weak countries. I thought last year Romanov was more impressive then Poehling who had a huge game vs Sweden but as the games got tougher he didn't do much points wise.

I've been burned by the WJC hype before, especially with Collberg since he is one of their all time leading point getters for Team Sweden, behind the big names of course but still top 10. Then of course there was Puljujarvi who dominated at 17 and was MVP though I still could see him as a decent NHLer perhaps unlike Collberg who looks like shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vachon23

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Ohhh here we go again people getting their hopes up and Bergevin not helping by insinuating he would be NHL ready next year. I really wish they would take time with some of these prospects, so few are really NHL ready with no AHL time etc.

Romanov have been playing in the KHL for the past 2 years. Not sure exactly what you mean by us rushing him when he’s already playing in the second best league in the world

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Romanov have been playing in the KHL for the past 2 years. Not sure exactly what you mean by us rushing him when he’s already playing in the second best league in the world

since in the KHL he's playing around 12 mins a night on average, that in the AHL he could work on his offensive game while playing 20 mins a night on the top pairing vs in the NHL where it won't be easy to develop his offensive game as he likely won't be on the PP next year and I would assume he's used more a 5th/6th D like Fleury this year.

Reactions: Vachon23 and dralaf

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
since in the KHL he's playing around 12 mins a night on average, that in the AHL he could work on his offensive game while playing 20 mins a night on the top pairing vs in the NHL where it won't be easy to develop his offensive game as he likely won't be on the PP next year and I would assume he's used more a 5th/6th D like Fleury this year.
I'd prefer him being in the AHL as well, a better league and more similar to the NHL.

Reactions: 26Mats
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad