Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Is Romanov's lack of offense a cause for concern?

hard to say. Looking at the list of Russian defense-men (link) to ever play in the NHL, it was pretty hard to find cases of players producing in their D+1 or D+2 years in the KHL. Most of the modern offensive producers played elsewhere. The best offensive stats i've seen for a currently playing NHL-er was Orlov's 19 year old season with 12 points in 45.

The funniest thing looking at this list was that Gonchar, the highest scoring Russian D in NHL history, had 9 whole points as a 19 year old in the Russian league.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He'll be another Timmins gem, taken off the board, never to be seen again. Oh, that rhymes.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Well this can be said for any 19yrs old prospect who doesn't play on a small ice in a men's league. There's not many.
To put it another way: If the GM puts a guaranteed spot on the line up to entice Romanov to come over, I'll start being concerned. Lack of offensive production against real men in a different league with bigger ice does not concern me as much.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Is he eligible for this year's U20 WJC? He did awesome at last year's tourney, so being one year older I'd expect a similar or better performance (especially since he is also older!)

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I'm no expert on him but his upside is hard to gage. Got a good stretch pass. Big shot. Puck skills are decent. Willingness to pinch is there. I don't see huge offensive upside but could hit 30ish?

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
not possible. The only way he can leave is if CSKA released him. If you buyout your contract it has to be a year in advance.

MB hasn't met a top prospect he hasn't rushed to the NHL so why stop now. It should pan out one of these days.

Impossible for anyone to know outside of maybe Dr Recchi.

Supposedly they have already tried to re-sign him but he didn't accept.

It's hard to produce with such limited minutes and no PP time but I'm not sold on his offensive upside. That said at worst he should make a very solid bottom pairing D for us. There is a lot to like about his game, the skating, mobility, his defensive play, his physical play.
I must admit i don't see much of our prospects anymore as i'm a cyber dinosaur and wouldn't have a clue where to look, but from what i can tell this kid is as much a sure nhler as anyone else, maybe a bottom6, maybe much better. I agree his offensive game in general is questionable but the way he plays and conducts himself on the ice... Just pure energy and power, i don't consider myself much of an expert on prospects but i know what I like in a prospect and i love the kid, damn good foundation (skating/strength (lots to do with his skating ability)/how he reads the game) d-game is tight, head on a swivel, fast, plays heavy and physical but smart, like the no-nonsense game he plays... For the KHL and bringing players up too fast i completely agree... But the khl is a busyness just like the nhl, it's not a dev. league, it's about wins and money... If there's any prospect i'd like to see in montreal soon it's him no doubt

Reactions: montreal

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Not as much as his complete lack of experience on North American ice. At least for me.

What about his allstar performance on NORTH AMERICAN ice last year in Vancouver?

Junior hockey?

Well he's a junior eligible hockey player .

He's a D who seems suited for the smaller ice. Very physical.

To put it another way: If the GM puts a guaranteed spot on the line up to entice Romanov to come over, I'll start being concerned. Lack of offensive production against real men in a different league with bigger ice does not concern me as much.

Nice backpedal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad