Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

thanks. nice moves. good to see him doing it in the KHL. kid has real upside.

there you go, it's the 2nd one but it's not off the post, the goalie gets a piece of it as they counted it as a shot.

how long we have before we have to sign him. would be nice to be able to be patient with him.

man i love our drafting of late. is he even in our top 20? definitely still a long shot but a skilled one and pulling off skilled moves in the 2nd best league in the world.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
thanks. nice moves. good to see him doing it in the KHL. kid has real upside.

how long we have before we have to sign him. would be nice to be able to be patient with him.

man i love our drafting of late. is he even in our top 20? definitely still a long shot but a skilled one and pulling off skilled moves in the 2nd best league in the world.

5 years since there's no PTA in place with Russia so you have till the player becomes UFA age. If Romanov is coming over and if they end up signing his teammate Okulov then it would make sense to bring Khisamutdinov over next summer with them to make things a little easier on him at least at camp since he would be in Laval and the other two would at least be expected to make the Habs.

But we'll see what happens as MB said at the draft they wanted to bring him over after this season but who knows if he will even want to come over, just like Romanov though as long as they don't re-sign with their KHL club then they are more then likely coming over, if either do then we won't be seeing them for at least a year.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
5 years since there's no PTA in place with Russia so you have till the player becomes UFA age. If Romanov is coming over and if they end up signing his teammate Okulov then it would make sense to bring Khisamutdinov over next summer with them to make things a little easier on him at least at camp since he would be in Laval and the other two would at least be expected to make the Habs.

But we'll see what happens as MB said at the draft they wanted to bring him over after this season but who knows if he will even want to come over, just like Romanov though as long as they don't re-sign with their KHL club then they are more then likely coming over, if either do then we won't be seeing them for at least a year.

If a player never signs you can keep him.indefinitely. he never becomes ufa.

Its only if they sign here and go back and you retain their rfa rights (see tryamkin in vancouver) that they become ufas.

Check the reserve lists on cap friendly. A number of teams still have 30+ year old russians.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
If a player never signs you can keep him.indefinitely. he never becomes ufa.

Its only if they sign here and go back and you retain their rfa rights (see tryamkin in vancouver) that they become ufas.

Check the reserve lists on cap friendly. A number of teams still have 30+ year old russians.

Are you saying if you draft a Russian, but never sign him, he's property of said NHL team indefinitely?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Are you saying if you draft a Russian, but never sign him, he's property of said NHL team indefinitely?

Until a transfer agreement is agreed, yes.

There are a couple ways to lose the player...

1) renounce your rights (if you need space on the 90 man reserve list).
2) the player moves to a league with a transfer agreement (ie moves from KHL to SHL, or Liiga, etc...) then you need to sign him as per the rules of the transfer agreement with that league.

Here is the copypaste from Cap Friendly

Reserve List FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

What are the exclusive signing rights for Non-North American Drafted Players [Leagues with No NHL Transfer Agreement]?

Example leagues with no existing NHL transfer agreement are:
  • KHL
  • NLA/NLB (Switzerland)
DRAFT AGEBONA-FIDE OFFEREXCLUSIVE RIGHTS RETAINEDSOURCE
18 or 19Not requiredIndefinitely
20 or olderNot requiredIndefinitely
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Additional Details:
  • The NHL club must tag the player as “Defected” and place them on their 90 player reserve list.
  • If the player moves to a league that the NHL does have a Transfer Agreement with, at that moment the Club must sign the Player or lose its exclusive rights to negotiate.

Reactions: jaffy27

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
fHPw2eh.gif

This news item had me thinking. If it happened with Kravtsov, could it not occur with Romanov?

Kravtsov, 19, was scratched for the second game of the season in Hartford and sat for long stretches in two of the games he’s dressed for while posting a single assist in his first North American foray.

In an effort to keep things amicable, Rangers brass worked with Kravtsov’s agent on the move rather than keep him in an unhappy situation, Brooks reports. The 2018 first-round pick (No. 9 overall) is eligible to be recalled by the Rangers at any point this season.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/25/rangers-prospect-vitali-kravtsov-heading-back-to-russia/

Is there a lesson in there for the Habs in respect of how they're going to handle Romanov if he decides to sign with Montreal next season? If he didn't make the team, he too could ask for an out clause so he doesn't spend any time in Laval.

Thoughts?

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
fHPw2eh.gif

This news item had me thinking. If it happened with Kravtsov, could it not occur with Romanov?

Kravtsov, 19, was scratched for the second game of the season in Hartford and sat for long stretches in two of the games he’s dressed for while posting a single assist in his first North American foray.

In an effort to keep things amicable, Rangers brass worked with Kravtsov’s agent on the move rather than keep him in an unhappy situation, Brooks reports. The 2018 first-round pick (No. 9 overall) is eligible to be recalled by the Rangers at any point this season.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/25/rangers-prospect-vitali-kravtsov-heading-back-to-russia/

Is there a lesson in there for the Habs in respect of how they're going to handle Romanov if he decides to sign with Montreal next season? If he didn't make the team, he too could ask for an out clause so he doesn't spend any time in Laval.

Thoughts?

Id be ok if it had the same recall clause as Kratsov's

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
wish he produced more but still a 19 year old in the 2nd best league in the world. Hopefully he can show more flashes. Even if it doesn't come I think he can still be a boost to our D corps.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
fHPw2eh.gif

Thoughts?

The majority of established KHLers who sign in the NHL have this clause in their contract. I don't see why Romanov would request any different.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
wish he produced more but still a 19 year old in the 2nd best league in the world. Hopefully he can show more flashes. Even if it doesn't come I think he can still be a boost to our D corps.

I just think he doesn’t have that much offensive tools.His production is starting to be a concern, Mete is producing more in the NHL then Romanov is right know in the KHL

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I just think he doesn’t have that much offensive tools.His production is starting to be a concern, Mete is producing more in the NHL then Romanov is right know in the KHL

I wouldn't compare them though as Romanov is playing 12:28 per game. He's been used a lot as a 7th D this year, other times a 5th or 6th. He's playing his off-position as well.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

It is impossible to assert any correlation between his stats and his skill. The KHL is a spectacle of incompetence and it is important to watch the games and not rely on stats to evaluate players.

The WJC will provide a more telling glimpse than the asinine decisions of his KHL team. This of course will be a tiny sample size and we will likely have to wait until next season for him to come over and be properly evaluated.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
I wouldn't compare them though as Romanov is playing 12:28 per game. He's been used a lot as a 7th D this year, other times a 5th or 6th. He's playing his off-position as well.

What a great way to develop a kid... Cant wait til he gets time in NA.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Yeah but Romanov produced more in the WJC at 18 than Mete at 19? :sarcasm:

Mete is playing more minutes in the NHL vs Romanov in the KHL

Romanov is working on his overall game and he is still being sheltered. I love his shut down abilities and how he plays physical!

Reactions: Acadien86

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
It is impossible to assert any correlation between his stats and his skill. The KHL is a spectacle of incompetence and it is important to watch the games and not rely on stats to evaluate players.

The WJC will provide a more telling glimpse than the asinine decisions of his KHL team. This of course will be a tiny sample size and we will likely have to wait until next season for him to come over and be properly evaluated.

I know it wasn’t the best comparison but still 7 points in 64 games is not alote, and when I look at him I don’t see the offensive tools. Doesn’t mean I think he won’t be good, I just think he won’t be an offensive guy.

Yeah but Romanov produced more in the WJC at 18 than Mete at 19? :sarcasm:

Mete is playing more minutes in the NHL vs Romanov in the KHL

Romanov is working on his overall game and he is still being sheltered. I love his shut down abilities and how he plays physical!

WJC is a 2 week tournament. For the minutes, Mete is playing in a WAY better league. Not saying he’s not good but I just think he’s not better then Mete

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Sounds best for Romanov to get out of Russia. His skating is outstanding. He could really blossom under the right development

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
fHPw2eh.gif

Thoughts?

The Habs can't look at the Rangers' situation with Kravtsov and have second thoughts. Romanov could very well end up doing what Kravtsov is doing. But the Habs can't let that dissuade them from wanting to sign Romanov and bring him over here.

Reactions: Gains

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
The Habs can't look at the Rangers' situation with Kravtsov and have second thoughts. Romanov could very well end up doing what Kravtsov is doing. But the Habs can't let that dissuade them from wanting to sign Romanov and bring him over here.
I think the fact that Romanov would be in his D+3 next year should not be overlooked. As it is, Kravtsov is only in his D+1 and he wouldn't be first 19 year old struggling in the AHL. Hell, Boqvist has been struggling too for Chicago.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I've never been a huge believer in Romanov's offensive tools but I agree it's still way too early to say. Even if he's not a big producer I like his game so much anyways.

I know it wasn’t the best comparison but still 7 points in 64 games is not alote, and when I look at him I don’t see the offensive tools. Doesn’t mean I think he won’t be good, I just think he won’t be an offensive guy.

WJC is a 2 week tournament. For the minutes, Mete is playing in a WAY better league. Not saying he’s not good but I just think he’s not better then Mete

Hard to say but I was never wholly convinced that Romanov was this absolute future stud while Mete was a borderline NHLer. I hate to say it but Mete COULD ultimately be the better D but that could just be that Mete actually ends up quite good. It's just not obvious to me that one will be better than the other at this point.

Reactions: Vachon23

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
How much is he making a year in the KHL? I heard they sometimes make 1,000-500,000 I'm not sure if it's true. But forsure better players make more millions over there. I can't wait to see him in a habs jersey if he decides to come over.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Blessing in disguise if he ends up being forced to stay in KHL another 2-3 years. Stops Montreal from rushing him and lets him potentially develop in KHL into a star D first.
Another 2 to 3 years? Lol.

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
Without having ever watched him play i can without a doubt say he's better than mete. There;s a reason why one is a top prospect and the other kinda came out of no where. I trust the scouts.
To me , seeing that he's being used as a 7th d and getting 12 mins a night, 100% he's dying to get over here and step right into top 6 nhl with legions of adoring fans, fighting to get an insane rfa contract.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Without having ever watched him play i can without a doubt say he's better than mete. There;s a reason why one is a top prospect and the other kinda came out of no where. I trust the scouts.
To me , seeing that he's being used as a 7th d and getting 12 mins a night, 100% he's dying to get over here and step right into top 6 nhl with legions of adoring fans, fighting to get an insane rfa contract.

Seems like a trustworthy take on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino